PDA

View Full Version : apprenticeship in sydney?

Jules.
11th January 2010, 04:34 PM
Hey there,

I'm a young female needing help in looking for an apprenticeship in cabinetmaking.
i'm a big believer in working hard and creating something from almost nothing.
i've done abit of woodworking in one of my jobs, assisting in building speaker cabinets for guitar amplifiers.
i just love woodworking in general and working with my hands.

It's a bloody hard road to find someone to take me on, so I was hoping to possibly find a stroke of luck here.
any sort of woodworking job would be brilliant. such as wood machinery.
any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just George
11th January 2010, 11:57 PM
Try one of tyhe Training Companies. Here is Brisbane we have East Coast Apprentices, another called Group Training Australia(they have a new name now) and others. Surely there are the same type of businesses down there. Good Luck...

Andrew_B
23rd January 2010, 09:02 AM
i did a course called, the becket program, in burwood...

im not sure if they are still runniing it,
it was part of the christian brothers school, which i believe has recently been demolished and sold off.......

there are a couple of furniture factories in alexandria that occasionally take an apprentice or two, (they used to take one a couple of people from the becket program each year)

just make sure you check them out thoroughly.......
i passed on a possible apprenticeship after watching a couple of workers shooting boxes of scrap wood and waving around air powered nail guns with the saftey clips removed.....
morons.

goodluck :2tsup:

^ in regard to George's post, there is a place like that also in burwood

Jules.
10th February 2010, 02:20 PM
^ woah!
i'm guessing these were younguns that were screwin' around?

yeah i'd probably pass on the apprenticeship if I saw that too haha.
and thanks Andrew_B, loving your work, i wanted to become a luthier one day,
looked at a few courses, hopefully ill save up a heap of money to do one :D

but back on topic, i'll need all the goodluck I can get!
but i've struck abit of gold.
I have two job interviews to go to, hopefully i'll get the apprenticeship!

Andrew_B
10th February 2010, 03:00 PM
they were in their mid 20's i assume, idiots :no:

thanks for the kind words :-
theres only the gilet guitar building course in sydney isnt there?
i went over to his workshop and didnt like it... dirty, cluttered, not worth 4k lol

goodluck with your interviews :2tsup:

Bebbo
23rd February 2010, 05:20 AM
I wouldn't waste your time with those training companies.

They ####ed me around so much, in the end it was more of a hindrance for me.

I think your best bet is to hit up alexandria and some other commercial areas around sydney. Kirrawee, tarren point, silverwater etc.. Depending on where you're from.

Get a resume goin and just go for a drive one day to all the area's soon as you see a sign that looks vaguely relative drop off the resume to the manager or owner. Give em a quick spruik about yourself.

Id assume if you replied to adds in the paper most blokes wouldn't accept a girl, but if you drive to their doorstep and drop off the resume in person and do a spruik i think they'd think otherwise?