PDA

View Full Version : blown capacitor

hughie
12th January 2010, 10:53 PM
Need to replace the start capacitor on my lathe motor , need a local vendor western Sydney.
I gather the capacitor is not standard :C 125VAC 200MFD

Avery
12th January 2010, 11:01 PM
I would have thought that a starting cap should have about a 400volt rating and be more like 20 microfarad -

Anyway try Jaycar Electronics at Rydalmere or online at

Jaycar Electronics - Better. More Technical. (http://www.jaycar.com.au)

TTIT
12th January 2010, 11:51 PM
When the one on my MC900 carked it the only one I could find that would fit within the cover (though it's not essential) that was close to spec was from an old fluro light - still going to this day I believe - exact spec's aren't that important for a starter capacitor :U

Avery
13th January 2010, 07:39 AM
When the one on my MC900 carked it the only one I could find that would fit within the cover (though it's not essential) that was close to spec was from an old fluro light - still going to this day I believe - exact spec's aren't that important for a starter capacitor :U

I would have thought that if you were going to stick a capacitor. across 240v, it should have a voltage rating to cope with the peaks, anything less will, at best, be unreliable and at worst, a fire hazard.

I think specs. do matter.

Sawdust Maker
13th January 2010, 08:12 AM
I thought the start cap in my bandsaw had died
couldn't find one anywhere to the same specs - took the motor to a local motor bloke, turned out to be a dud switch inside
motor was also gunked up with dust for some reason:rolleyes:

hughie
13th January 2010, 04:14 PM
In my case its an old motor and the way the cap is wired is at half the voltage ie 110 So I will require the 125VAC :C I have had the cap tested and its faulty and its the easiest thing to get at on the motor.:~
It was bench tested with no load OK :2tsup: But with the belt on etc it needs a flick to get the direction right:U

tried Jaycar, RS Components, Farnell etc They only have 240 volt and maybe 20-30MFD

robbygard
13th January 2010, 04:21 PM
Need to replace the start capacitor on my lathe motor , need a local vendor western Sydney.
I gather the capacitor is not standard :C 125VAC 200MFD

auto electricians are sometimes useful to source these sort of odd things

regards david

malb
13th January 2010, 07:03 PM
They only have 240 volt and maybe 20-30MFD

It is perfectly safe to install a 240VAC or higher voltage unit to replace a lower voltage rated unit, but not smart to go the other way. May not solve the capacitance value issue however, but 200microFd sounds high for a start cap.

woodwork wally
13th January 2010, 07:11 PM
yes mate I bought mine thru Jaycar no worries cheers www

Enfield Guy
14th January 2010, 02:28 PM
Refrigeration maintenance suppliers have about the widest range of capacitors on shelf usually. That's where I got one for my bandsaw earlier in the year.
Cheers

hughie
14th January 2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. :2tsup:

Rang around and got an average price of $50, thought it was a bit over the top :C:~

In the end got it from a mob in Adelaide $17.65 plus freight $10. They have an office here but its still closed for Christmas.

Hickory
15th January 2010, 08:52 AM
Do you smell the "Factory Stink" or see the "Factory Smoke" (Factory puts in stink and smoke so you can tell when you blow one) :oo::C:~
If no to either question,:no: then look toward the Cyntrifical switch at the end of the motor shaft. I may be rusty or gombed up with dirt and dust. Some WD40 or equal spray lube should loosen up the switch:2tsup::o:doh:

woodwork wally
16th January 2010, 10:34 PM
Hi Hughie What H.Power is your motor . I'll see what I can find out further but I am certain the voltage rating is not critical But the capacitance value is matched to a large extent to motor H.P.and characteristics Is it a standard single phase or 3phase with speed control {hence 125 v ] with cap across one phase. Long time since I used Dip. but will scratch the brains given the right info cheers ww.wally

hughie
17th January 2010, 03:34 PM
What H.Power is your motor . I'll see what I can find out further but I am certain the voltage rating is not critical But the capacitance value is matched to a large extent to motor H.P.and characteristics Is it a standard single phase or 3phase with speed control {hence 125 v ] with cap across one phase. Long time since I used Dip. but will scratch the brains given the right info cheers ww.wally

single phase 240v, 1HP, 200mfd capacitor 125vac. No speed control.