PDA

View Full Version : Salt/Pepper Mills

smidsy
28th August 2004, 09:59 PM
Hei Guys,
Been asked to make a set of salt & pepper mills.
What is the best timber to use for looks and food safety, and will I need to treat the timber with anything (if so what) to make it food safe.
Also, using the Carbatec mills what size blanks do I need?
Anything else I need to know for such a project?
Cheers
Paul

q9
28th August 2004, 11:24 PM
If you've not done one before I'd read how it's done in Keith Rowleys "Woodturning A Foundation Course" really explains it well.

I'm not sure there is much issue with what wood you use for mills, but have a search on these forums because I can remember this coming up once before. Poly the inside if it bothers you.

macca2
29th August 2004, 04:36 PM
duck over to carbatec and grab a chunk of sheoak... comes up a treat for pepper and salt mills.

Macca

gatiep
29th August 2004, 06:08 PM
Paul

Send me your email addy please
Cya
Joe

Sprog
29th August 2004, 06:28 PM
Sheoak and Jarrah look nice no need to finish the insides.

Depends on the size of the mechanisms as to the size of the blanks

174mm mechanism needs a 235x60mm blank
300mm mechanism needs a 365x70mm blank

Red neck
29th August 2004, 07:17 PM
Sprog,

Nice diagram and instruction set. Must admit I had a few grey moments with the 'Chinglish' version I used some time back.

Regards

smidsy
29th August 2004, 10:32 PM
Hei Sprog,
Thanks for that.
I think I will be making a couple out of junk pine before I do one out of the good timber.
Cheers
Paul

philly
29th August 2004, 11:21 PM
I once turned about 6 pepper mills in Tasmanian Sassafras. While turning i noticed a pungent smell in the workshop. I assumed that my cats had been accidentally trapped there the night before. After turning the mills i realised that tasmanian sassafras stinks of cat **** and should never be used for pepper mills! Seriously tho...Jarrah , Blackwood, She- Oak are all fine. I turned quite a few from a neighbours Jacaranda tree and for a special treat I made someone a lovely one from purple heart.

Best of luck

Sprog
30th August 2004, 11:57 AM
Hei Sprog,
Thanks for that.
I think I will be making a couple out of junk pine before I do one out of the good timber.
Cheers
Paul

Just make sure you check the measurements for your mechanisms and adjust the hole sizes accordingly, they could be slightly different to the ones in the diagram.

Here are the instructions for a 300mm grinder, gives an idea for scaling up. :D

Zsteve
2nd September 2004, 02:19 PM
You need to be carefull on the final length, as based on the diagram/intrsuctions for the 175mm pepper mill I have found that the Carbatec mechanisms are a little long - and so the finished length/height of your mill needs to be a bit longer than the diagram suggests.

I would suggest making the length of the mills to about 177/178mm minimum - as a coupl of the mills i have made have been about 175/176 in height and have found the thread needed extending.

Probably best not to assume the mechanisms are exact to the diagram and measure the meachanism assembeled before you start.

Regards
Stephen

philly
2nd September 2004, 03:17 PM
I usually use a mechanism which is bigger than the mill, then grind the long pin at the mill end to the appropriate length and shape. That way it doesnt matter too much about turning it to the right length.

Sprog
2nd September 2004, 03:30 PM
As I said earlier check your measurements and adjust accordingly.
The rod can be shortened and the end re-made by clamping in an engineers vise.

smidsy
2nd September 2004, 08:21 PM
Hei Guys,
I made a prototype on Tuesday night and I actually left the bottom a little long so that is how I will make them - leave the bottom a little long and check the length before I do the final trim.
Cheers
Paul

Babytoolman
3rd September 2004, 08:08 AM
Paul,
can youdrop a picture in? I would be real interested in how they look.

Roger

smidsy
3rd September 2004, 04:59 PM
Hei Roger,
Here it is, all I did was copy one of the diagrams I got here.
This was just a practice run, and it hasn't been sanded or drilled out yet - also, this was a real old and crappy peice of Jarranh I found in the junk stack. When I was working it my hands looked like I'd been playing in the gravel, the dust was that fine and dirty.

The great thing about making your own salt and pepper mills is that only the length and internal measurements are important, you can vary the outside dimensions to suit yourself - if you know someone with arthritis you could make them a real chunky set.
Cheers
Paul