PDA

View Full Version : Trees coming down in Brisbane North

Reece
17th January 2010, 01:38 AM
i only do woodturning, so i've put this in here. (feel free to move it mods)

There's a new carpark being put in at Bald Hills station on the northside of Brisbane, and because the whole area will soon be bitumen, all the trees are getting removed.

i'm not sure how you could go about getting hold of some of the wood, but i guess Queensland Rail or Brisbane City Council might be able to help out with that.

Off the top of my head there are paper bark and moreton bay fig among other things (i may be wrong with the types of trees)

hopefully some of us can get hold of some of the wood and put it to good use. if you do, let me know :U

Enfield Guy
17th January 2010, 12:15 PM
There is also a big crows ash coming down at Wooloowin soon because of the tunnel. Typically what happens is they cut them down and feed them into a massive chipper. That's what they did with the huge Hoop pines at Lutwyche. Criminal waste I reckon. It's enough to make you cry.
Cheers

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2010, 07:43 PM
If there's a Moreton Bay Fig grab some if you can - lovely timber

Find out the name of the site foreman. I've had luck giving them a call and they'll put some aside - doesn't always work, worse luck

and give them something back, even if it's a year later

edit trouble is they and the timber droppers/fellers/whatever they are called, seen to think we like straight uninspiring timber and are genuinely interested in giving what we would like

hughie
21st January 2010, 09:29 PM
Tree loppers like the idea of somebody taking away their rubbish. But usually its way too much for one bloke to handle and you can get snowed under with several tons...not tonnes timber.