PDA

View Full Version : Turnfest 2010

WOODY70
22nd January 2010, 06:41 PM
Turnfest 2010 to be held at the SeaWorld resort on the Gold Coast on the 26th, 27th and 28th of March is fast approaching.

I thought it might be a good idea to get all you guys and girls attending Turnfest this year talking.

Sooo!! who is going to Turnfest at the end of March?

Registrations have passed 330. Now the largest symposium ever staged in Australia. So if you are considering attending get in fast. Turnfest 2010 will be the best ever.:2tsup:

Contact David:U
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies
3808 7005

dai sensei
22nd January 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm in :cool:

Last year was my first and the best demo event I've ever been to. Great demos & great company, plenty of turners of all levels and quite a few Forumites.

Tony Morton
22nd January 2010, 10:20 PM
Hi David

I'll be there cant wait to see the line up of world class turners opperating and meeting up with other forumites see you there.

Cheers Tony

brendan stemp
23rd January 2010, 09:58 AM
I find it hard to believe how many woodturners don't go to this type of event. They are worth every cent (and a lot more) in my opinion. So many ideas to be got, so many techniques to see, quality woodturners to talk to; what more would you want. David D does a great job and deserves an OBE for services to woodturning. If you haven't thought about Turnfest or Bruce Bell's symposium then think again, very seriously.

WOODbTURNER
23rd January 2010, 11:28 AM
Dave always puts on a great show. Even if you think you are an proficient woodturner or just a starter you will benefit a lot. The demonstrating turners are always very easy to aproach. Accomodation and tucker have been first class and the host is a great bloke. So to all you Territory dreamers, pull your finger out before its too late!

WOODY70
27th January 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks Guys!!

Just letting you know that there is less than 8 weeks to go!!!! woohoo:oo:

See you there.

Dave

Fireman sam
27th January 2010, 08:06 PM
I will be there :2tsup::D:D

govarney
27th January 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm in 2 :2tsup:

artme
27th January 2010, 09:21 PM
Any chance I can go down for a look or do I have to enrol?

Cashflow will be a bit tight.:C:C

WOODY70
27th January 2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry Mate you will need to register.

The event is not open to day visitors.

Save up for 2011. Turnfest will be back at Seaworld and will be another great one, with the presenters I have lined up.

Cheers
Dave

Little Festo
31st January 2010, 02:21 PM
I'll be there of too. Any of the guys going want any Camphor Laurel, siky oak, and possibly some fresh Bunya Pine (possibly quite big if I get it). Have some pecan too.

Bringing any work for the instant gallery?? Been working on a lot of translucent stuff the last month or so.

Peter

WOODY70
31st January 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll be there of too. Any of the guys going want any Camphor Laurel, siky oak, and possibly some fresh Bunya Pine (possibly quite big if I get it). Have some pecan too.

Bringing any work for the instant gallery?? Been working on a lot of translucent stuff the last month or so.

Peter
Hey Peter,

I might need to get some of that fresh (green) bunya pine from you for one of the presenters.

Cheers
David:D

Little Festo
1st February 2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Peter,

I might need to get some of that fresh (green) bunya pine from you for one of the presenters.

Cheers
David:D

No Problems if it become available. What size?

Peter

WOODY70
2nd February 2010, 10:21 PM
Hey Everyone.

7 Weeks to go!!!!!:oo:

See you there.

Dave:U

WOODY70
9th February 2010, 07:27 PM
6 Weeks to go!!!!!:U

WOODY70
16th February 2010, 08:50 AM
5 Weeks To Go!!!!!!!!:D

If you are thinking of attending book now! approaching sellout!
PH: 07 3808 7005

Now the largest woodturning symposium ever staged in Australia.

See you there.

Dave:2tsup:

WOODY70
23rd February 2010, 07:12 PM
4 weeks to go !!!:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
23rd February 2010, 07:21 PM
Geeze Dave, are you going to be 40 this year? :oo:

Sorry for the Hijack.... not. :D

Go on, tell us what happens in 4 weeks time.

Little Festo
25th February 2010, 09:04 AM
A few piccies from last year.

Peter

WOODY70
3rd March 2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks Peter,
Get ready to take some more great shots.
3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!
:D
A few piccies from last year.

Peter

WOODY70
12th March 2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Boys and girls.

2 weeks to go!!!

Who's getting itchy feet?

See you at SeaWorld:D

Dave

WOODY70
19th March 2010, 08:45 AM
1 week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!:oo::oo::oo::oo:

Sold out!!!!!

Just a reminder you must be registured to attend this event.
No day tickets available. Any persons arriving onsite without a booking will be turned away.

Start saving now for next year. Turnfest 2011 will be bigger and better if you can believe it.:2tsup:

For all those attending Turnfest 2010, safe travels and catch you at SeaWorld next week.

Dave:D

newport48
21st March 2010, 06:01 PM

Peter
I am taking an empty bag from Victoria to Turnfest and looking for up to 20 kg of good Queensland wood. Are you briniging some for sale?

Little Festo
22nd March 2010, 08:37 AM
No not for sale, just to give away. What would you like. Have some silky oak, camphor laurel, what I was told is Norfolk pine (not too sure), pecan, brush box, bumpy ash, and some nice Jacaranda.

Peter

Little Festo
22nd March 2010, 08:41 AM
Hey Jeff (from Darwin) how many Darwin guys are coming down. I don't suppose you talked Ian into coming down?? Trevor the "Bee Keeper" is coming though?? Will you be there on Thursday or Friday?? Looking forward to catching up.

Peter

WOODbTURNER
22nd March 2010, 03:14 PM
Hello Peter,

Just me, Ian Landon and Trevor again. I think one of Imac's students is also going. Imac is not going as he's been a bit crook and has completely lost hearing in right ear and most of left ear. Poor bugga!
Peter, can you bring some Jacaranda down for me if possible? Thanks mate and we'll see you on Thursday

Cheers
Jeff

WOODY70
24th March 2010, 08:40 AM
1 more sleep!!!!
Guaranteed to blow you away:oo:

See you there.

Dave:U

Little Festo
24th March 2010, 08:53 AM
Hello Peter,

Just me, Ian Landon and Trevor again. I think one of Imac's students is also going. Imac is not going as he's been a bit crook and has completely lost hearing in right ear and most of left ear. Poor bugga!
Peter, can you bring some Jacaranda down for me if possible? Thanks mate and we'll see you on Thursday

Cheers
Jeff

No worries Jeff. Will put a couple of blanks in the van today. See you tomorrow. I take it Trevor will be picking you and Ian up??

Peter

WOODbTURNER
24th March 2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks Peter.
Yes Trevor is as usual. Another 24 hours without sleep as we are catching the dreaded red eye at 2.30am (NT) tomorrow and get to Brisbane at 6.00am.
We hope to see Enzo before we head off to Dave's do.
See you there
Jeff

underfoot
24th March 2010, 06:57 PM
I'm just loading my wagon, see you there tomorrow :2tsup:

dai sensei
24th March 2010, 07:21 PM
See you all soon :2tsup:

Little Festo
24th March 2010, 07:52 PM
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow or on Friday. To all those coming, hope you have safe flights or safe road trips.

Peter

dai sensei
28th March 2010, 10:10 PM
Well what can I say, another fantastic 3 days of mind blowing talent and entertainment. I feel like I a dry sponge that was dropped in a pool of water and now waterlogged. So much information to be downloaded and processed.

Take my hat off to David for organising the event :2tsup:

Some photos of the show and tell tables.

Sorry, not sure what I did, but I deleted my photos of the first 5 tables :doh:. Hopefully someone else will have some :-

dai sensei
28th March 2010, 10:11 PM
A few more of my favourites. Yes I even deleted some of these :doh:

tea lady
28th March 2010, 10:15 PM
:oo: Some people make some kooky things don't they. :cool: Ya wouldn't have a close up of that book like thing in the left of the last pic in post 33. :pi: :U

And I wonder who made the face. :wave: Beautiful.

dai sensei
28th March 2010, 10:33 PM
Ya wouldn't have a close up of that book like thing in the left of the last pic in post 33. .

best I can do with the photos I have :- Another one of my favs that I did have photos of :doh:. Hopefully there will be other photos, or even a forum member is the creator

And I wonder whop made the face. :wave: Beautiful.

Yep, our own Underfoot was one of the demonstrators

underfoot
29th March 2010, 08:46 AM
Yep, our own Underfoot was one of the demonstrators

Yes that's right, and from now on I expect all my demonstrations to be held in a huge, plush carpeted, air conditioned, conference room with veiws over the ocean and a fully stocked bar within 2 mtrs of where I'm working..... AND ..I would like my breakfast with the dolphins every morning :2tsup:
(wonder how they're going to get the wood chips off the chandeliers?)

Ah yes,a good BIG time had by all, and great to meet some forum members and put faces to the pseudonyms.

(wonder what the collective noun is for 380 woodturners)

RETIRED
29th March 2010, 10:19 AM
Yes that's right, and from now on I expect all my demonstrations to be held in a huge, plush carpeted, air conditioned, conference room with veiws over the ocean and a fully stocked bar within 2 mtrs of where I'm working..... AND ..I would like my breakfast with the dolphins every morning :2tsup:

Ah yes,a good BIG time had by all, and great to meet some forum members and put faces to the pseudonyms.

(wonder what the collective noun is for 380 woodturners)A mob of hopeless dills?:wink::D

tea lady
29th March 2010, 10:31 AM

:rofl: I bet they won't say yes to a woodturning demo again.:rolleyes::D

WOODY70
29th March 2010, 06:26 PM
:rofl: I bet they won't say yes to a woodturning demo again.:rolleyes::D
Wanna Bet!!!

Contracted till 2012 and beyond. Have been told "The best group they have ever had at the resort"

See you all at Seaworld in 2011.

Little Festo
29th March 2010, 08:25 PM
A Few Piccies.

Peter

WOODY70
29th March 2010, 09:14 PM
Great Shots Peter,

Do you have any of that great view from your room?

I know you enjoyed it.

Cheers Dave

govarney
29th March 2010, 10:56 PM
This was demo area 6. One of the more scenic demo areas.

(Sorry you might have a big lathe but this place takes the cake for views) :;

BTW it was Gordon Ward on the lathe.

Little Festo
30th March 2010, 07:40 AM
Great Shots Peter,

Do you have any of that great view from your room?

I know you enjoyed it.

Cheers Dave

Great week-end. Good views, great demonstrators and to top it all 300+ woodturners from all over Australia and NZ to chat to over breakfast, lunch and tea.

Below are views from the rooms balcony. the second last photo is Wouldbeturner from Darwin, the last one is the rest of the Darwin crew plus Trevor the Bee Keeper, an ex Darwin Lad now in Maryborough.

Peter

newport48
30th March 2010, 09:10 AM
Dave
Thanks for an amazing few days. To be in the company of some of the worlds best and to have them share their techniques and secrets in such a relaxed atmosphere was a privilege and a pleasure.

Peters photos are tops.

Thanks

John (from Mooroolbark)

WOODbTURNER
30th March 2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Dave for a great weekend as usual. You can tell by our fat guts in Peter's photos. Was very impressed with demonstrators especially J. Paul Fennel. Very approachable as were others. Peter, a big thanks for the wood blanks you bought down for us and our photos (Not!) Was great seeing you and Heika (?) See you all again in 2011.

Cheers

switt775
30th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Yesterday on my way home from Turnfest I made a slight detour to Mullinbimby and got bit of Camphor Laurel. This morning I went to the shed and made a bowl. From square block to finished bowl, less than 4 hours.

Not overly impressive for some of you, I know. But in the past I've typically spent at least a week to get a bowl finished. And worn out a lot of sandpaper in the process.

Just watching the experts, listening to them talk, examining the ways they sharpen and use their tools, I picked up more in 3 days this way than I had in 5 years of self taught turning (make that 5 years of picking up bad habits).

I figure if I put the money I save on sandpaper this year toward next year's admission, I'll be half way there.

tea lady
30th March 2010, 05:03 PM
Just watching the experts, listening to them talk, examining the ways they sharpen and use their tools, I picked up more in 3 days this way than I had in 5 years of self taught turning (make that 5 years of picking up bad habits).

I figure if I put the money I save on sandpaper this year toward next year's admission, I'll be half way there.:2tsup: Fantastic. It does make a difference seeing it done in person.:cool:

WOODY70
31st March 2010, 08:16 PM
Hey guys Thanks for the kind words. It is my pleasure to put this event on for you,even though it may seem the stress gets to me.

Just letting you know registrations have broken through the 100 barrier for the 2011 event. So if you would like to be involved, be sure to pay your deposit to secure a spot.

I garrentee 2011 will be better than 10.

Cheers

switt775
31st March 2010, 11:12 PM
What are the dates for 2011?

Fireman sam
31st March 2010, 11:29 PM
The dates are 25- 26 &27 of march 2011 :2tsup:
Iam book in :D:D
Thanks Andrew

WOODY70
7th April 2010, 08:43 AM

(wonder what the collective noun is for 380 woodturners)
Glad you liked it John,
It was a pleasure working with you again. I can accommodate your request except for the Dolphins! Every morning that is!!!!!

Regards
Dave

WOODY70
15th June 2010, 05:56 PM
Hey Ladies and gents,

Just a quick note to let you know that there is now a website for Turnfest.

Check it out www.turnfest.com.au (http://www.turnfest.com.au)

registrations have passed 170. So if you are thinking of going be sure to get your registration in soon.

Cheers