PDA

View Full Version : Winged lidded box

corbs
23rd January 2010, 10:50 PM
Here's my attempt at a winged lidded box. Inspiration was from Gil Jones' here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/winged-lidded-box-109102/) and the video's that he posted:2tsup:

Woods are Huon & Tassie Blackwood (with a coat of black japan), finish is ubeaut hard shellac. I'm getting better at it but still need some work:-.

The curve isn't as even as I would have liked but I didn't notice until it was off the lathe:doh:

Corbs

Ad de Crom
24th January 2010, 12:50 AM
Corbs, the first attempt is the most difficult, but this looks very good.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
24th January 2010, 05:17 AM
Nice work Corbs!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just a point on form - the best ldded boxes of that type that I have seen have the lid slightly less than a hemisphere in profile. For some reason it is obviously more appealing to the eye.

Gil Jones
24th January 2010, 01:58 PM
Hey, Corbs,
That is a fine piece of turning on your first winged, lidded, box.
Good looking wood, and finish too. :2tsup::2tsup:
If you were willing to take a small chance (depending on how the rim of the box is formed), you could remount it with your chuck in expansion mode inside the lip of the bowl, and turn more of an arc into the underside of the wing. A donut chuck would let you fix any damage to the rim of the box afterward.
Might be more fun to just create another one.
Gil

orraloon
25th January 2010, 12:49 PM
Corbs,
Well done on the work. If you had not mentioned the curve I would not have noticed. As to form go with what you like best. I find this one grows on you the more times it's looked at.
Regards
John

corbs
25th January 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys, I'm still playing and learning so this one will probably be given away to family. I might turn a new finial for it one day but I have other projects to work on first... I just had to get that one out of my system:rolleyes:

scorpio_oz
25th January 2010, 04:26 PM
Looks good,

Better than my first attempt at one of these.

The shape looks good, at least its still got its wings.

I had watched the videos some time back and figured I'd like to see how I went with one.

So, a couple of weekends ago, I had a go. Cranked the speed up to about 3000RPM so I wasn't turning so much air.

Was going along so well, until.....

I stopped the lathe to see how it was looking, and put my hand on the handwheel to slow the lathe down.

The momentum from the workpiece and the chuck, unscrewed the chuck, and chuck and workpiece went bouncing across the floor of the shed with pace.

Quick sidestep required to avoid incoming projectile. I knew my years of taekwon do training (long past) would be useful for something else as I aged.

First time that has happened, probably because I don't usually have the thing running that quickly.

I got to see it as it had its last bounce heading in the up direction and thought, whew, work still intact and still on the chuck, maybe just a little bruised, then it flipped in mid-air and the chuck came down right on one of the wings and snapped the wing off....then stopped bouncing.

So, a re-design required. Back on the lathe to see how it would go with only one wing. About as well as a bird does with one wing, badly. Another redesign , snapped off the other wing. Flattened the broken two sides on the linisher, sanded and waxed it, and it ended up as a square sided candle holder. Lost the enthusiasm to make a lid for it.

So, I'm tempted to have another go as soon as I get some shed time, as the last attempt didn't quite go as planned.

In fact, yours has given me more motivation to finish one with wings now.

Regards
-Gavin

corbs
25th January 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the laugh Gav:2tsup::2tsup: