PDA

View Full Version : How do you prefer your coffee?

silentC
2nd September 2004, 11:17 AM
Oh look, it's 10am, time for smoko.

HappyHammer
2nd September 2004, 11:25 AM
You forgot don't care would rather have a coke....Coffee has become another excuse to proliferate snobbery.....a moccha? I'd love one.

HH

silentC
2nd September 2004, 11:29 AM
You forgot don't care would rather have a coke
No I didn't. I deliberately excluded non-coffee or tea drinkers from the poll.

Coffee snobbery? Maybe in certain parts of Sydney. Me, I just drink it because it tastes good and wakes me up.

Are you having a bad day today? ;)

HappyHammer
2nd September 2004, 11:33 AM
No just need a break and a double decaf, frappamochaskimmed cup of froth. Quick someone take me for a coffee and a cigarette!!!:D :eek:

HH.

bitingmidge
2nd September 2004, 11:33 AM
Ohhh goodness is it that time already??

Coffee has to be brewed under pressure, reminds me of the rest of my staff - the reason I'm not!!

Cheers,

P :D

Termite
2nd September 2004, 12:02 PM
...Coffee has become another excuse to proliferate snobbery....
HH

As a proliferated snob, (I've always wanted to be one :cool: ) I prefer 3 scoops of Vittoria Italian Blend in a small plunger into 1 mug. Better than Aerostart first thing in the morning.
Kind regards
Termite

silentC
2nd September 2004, 12:16 PM
Jesus, Termite, that'd get the old ticker thumping :eek:

Vittoria Espresso for me. Got a cappucino machine for the office from the kids for Father's Day last year.

craigb
2nd September 2004, 12:32 PM
Lavazza espresso for me. Had a home espresso machine for years, wouldn't be without it. I only have one coffee a day though.

Termite
2nd September 2004, 12:56 PM
Lavazza espresso for me. Had a home espresso machine for years, wouldn't be without it. I only have one coffee a day though.

Only ONE A DAY!!!!! :eek: :eek:
What are you, a massochist or something? :D :D You don't get to be the dillapidated wreck that I am on only ONE cup a day man, you realy have to abuse your body. I'm living proof that you can live through the 60'S though I don't remember much about them.
Kind regards
Termite

Wongo
2nd September 2004, 01:02 PM
I drink both tea and coffee. I drink a lot Jasmine tea at work (how nice they name it after my daughter) and drink coffee occasionally. I think Chinese tea is very good for your body. :)

I don’t believe in paying $4 or $5 for a cup of coffee. Instant coffee will do me fine.

Cheers

outback
2nd September 2004, 01:14 PM
Cos I drink most of my coffee at home, and as I don't havs an espresso machine, i mostly drink instant.

But the poll asked how I prefer it so I voted espresso.

Should I buy a machine, or will it become another pain in the butt tinker toy which is more hassle than it's worth?

silentC
2nd September 2004, 01:20 PM
Should I buy a machine
If you like coffee, yes. You wont regret it.

gemi_babe
2nd September 2004, 01:51 PM
I've only been drinking coffee for 5 years. Not a strong coffee drinker and love Nescafe Gold. Its creamy. YUM! I have to have a cup of tea in the mornings and after dinner, but all others are coffee.

I use to work in a cafe and I make the best latte's - properly too :D With the milk and coffee split in the glass. Some of the guys use to ask for some extremely potent mixtures which use to make me cringe.

Caliban
2nd September 2004, 01:55 PM
Depends what time of day it is.
In the morning when it's nearly 9.00 and the onslaught is about to start in earnest and I haven't had my third or fourth cup, then I can just chew on the nescafe granules, water is optional :eek: But in the afternoon when I'm just a shredded wreck of my former self then IV drip is good. I usually just have instant but prefer real coffee, should I too get another candidate for the appliance graveyard?
At night I need decaf or the medication doesn't work, and I end up spending more valuable beauty sleep time doing this sort of thing, wonder if this bulletin board comes in granular form?

Alastair
2nd September 2004, 02:09 PM
At work it's coffee, ~2-3 cups Expresso from one of the small machines. At home never touch coffee, drink endless cups of tea.

Alastair

Termite
2nd September 2004, 02:48 PM
IMHO if you like your coffee then try a plunger before taking the plunge :D and spending big bucks on an espresso machine. Lets face it, some of those things are worth more than all my machinery put together.
Kind regards
Termite

silentC
2nd September 2004, 03:03 PM
Lets face it, some of those things are worth more than all my machinery put together.
True - but you don't have to buy a machine to drink expresso. You can get the little pots that go on the stove for about the same price as a good plunger. Actually we've got both. We use the plunger when we have more than a couple of takers because it's a bit of a hassle with the expresso machine, which only makes 2 at a time.

oges
2nd September 2004, 03:05 PM
I only drink coffee when I have run out of Milo :p
I remember my first trip to Sydney as an adult from the Central West and asking for a coffee, after getting the blurb of about 500 different types of coffee I said .... umm can i just get a normal white coffee..

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2004, 03:16 PM
G'day.

At home & at work we have plungers... about 5 last count....

Drink Organic Coffee grown in PNG Highlands.
We buy it in 10Kg cartons, about $220 a slab.
The coffee is packed in sealed plastic coated alfoil bags 1Kg each.
I share my habit with a couple of other people so we
resell the 1KG bags for $25 each.

When I'm out, I order a Long Black with a bit of milk on the side or,
if they know what I'm on about, a Long Machiato.

Termite
2nd September 2004, 03:24 PM
:D I had a long machiato once but it snapped in half so I threw it away. :D
Kind regards
Termite (smart ****)

craigb
2nd September 2004, 03:48 PM
Only ONE A DAY!!!!! :eek: :eek:
What are you, a massochist or something? :D :D You don't get to be the dillapidated wreck that I am on only ONE cup a day man, you realy have to abuse your body. I'm living proof that you can live through the 60'S though I don't remember much about them.
Kind regards
Termite

I used to have a double machiato :eek: every afternoon, but found it was leaving me too wired.

You have to remember that I'm a desk jockey. :)

Cheers
Craig

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2004, 03:58 PM
... it was leaving me too wired....

That's what I like about the Organic stuff we get...
It's gets the brain going but it doesn't overwind the ticker. :D

I like the Lavazza & Vittoria but more that 2 a day & I'm a space cadet. :rolleyes:

Termite
2nd September 2004, 03:59 PM
Is a double machiato one of those things that Spanish girls clack together when they dance? :confused: :D
Kind regards
Termite (on a slow afternoon)

silentC
2nd September 2004, 04:04 PM
Is a double machiato one of those things that Spanish girls clack together when they dance? :confused: :D
Kind regards
Termite (on a slow afternoon)
What, their knees?

goat
2nd September 2004, 04:19 PM
i never drank coffee on a regular basis (1-2 a year) untill 18 months ago when i started permanent night shift then i allowed my self one at the start of the shift just to wake me up i still only have one mug full but the mug is now holds 3/4 of a litre:eek:

Zed
2nd September 2004, 04:30 PM
Darren, whatsamatter you ? polls about coffee habits? whats next ? what colour socks / undies ? what about how much ram in your PC ? eh ????

:D

silentC
2nd September 2004, 04:36 PM
Cabin Fever mate... :(

Termite
2nd September 2004, 04:36 PM
socks :confused: undies :confused: I'm sorry but these are not familiar terms to me. Us terrible terms go with the shell we were given. :D
Kind regards
Termite (still quiet)

vsquizz
2nd September 2004, 04:41 PM
Coffee rots ya pipes, love the stuff but drink tea now, saves all the gut probs, used to love a port an coffee in the wee hours after a good feed. Brewed coffee will clean me out quicker an a pound of epsom salts.

Ian007
2nd September 2004, 04:56 PM
coffee in lots of different forms in fact i think ive had about 5 today and its only 3.15pm had to get up while typing this so make that 6 and its only 3.25
I have a mate who is a barrister and he will have 2 short blacks in the morning if he is in court so he is fully wired when he is in court

Ian
why am i jumping out of my skin?

Iain
2nd September 2004, 05:40 PM
Three espresso machines, one at home, one in the car when I'm away and one in the shed.
I like Brazil Rex and Harris #5.
Instant coffee I cannot stand anymore, bit like diluted anaemic cats pee.
Thats just an opinion, no corespondence will be entered into.
Incidentally, Coles and The Warehouse have a 15 bar espresso machine for about $70 that works as well as the $500 machines. Called an IQ.

simon c
2nd September 2004, 05:57 PM
Can I be a spelling nazi and a coffee snob at the same time and point out that the word is ESPRESSO with an S which is based on the Italian word for pressure as it is preesure that is used in an espresso machine to get the coffee out of the beans and not EXPRESSO with an X which doesn't mean anything in Italian at all.

Regarding coffee, I buy mine from a coffee shop in Melbourne who roast it on the premises (it's called groundshot). They emphasise that the coffee is best drunk 7 days after it has been roast when the oil starts to appear on the beans and the beans look as though they are wet. If you use it too early then the flavour stays trapped in (rather like not leaving meat to stand) and if you use it too late then the oil has started to dry off. They keep their beans in daily drawers and rotate them so the beans are always at their peak. Quite a strong blend though.

Simon

himzol
2nd September 2004, 06:30 PM
I chose expresso,

this seems to be the strongest there, I normaly have instant at work (it's free). One suger Two Coffee's and a dribble of milk.

At home the burperlator comes out and keeps the engine running. We are planning on getting a expresso machine but at the moment other things are chewing into the budget. ;)

Himzo.

himzol
2nd September 2004, 06:31 PM
Instant coffee I cannot stand anymore, bit like diluted anaemic cats pee.

How do you know? :confused: :D :D

Grunt
2nd September 2004, 08:14 PM
Should I buy a machine, or will it become another pain in the butt tinker toy which is more hassle than it's worth?

Absolutely. I bought one of the Nespresso (www.nespresso.com.au) machines on special. They use these little pods that contain the ground coffee. A little bit more expensive but no mess, no grinding and great coffee every time. Best thing I've bought since my TSC-10HB!

Choice had a test of Espresso machines. Here is the highlights:
What to buy :

Brand Price
KRUPS Nespresso 893 $499*
SAECO Magic Espresso $349
BREVILLE ESP8 $194

Caliban
2nd September 2004, 08:14 PM
How do you know? :confused: :D :D

Oh come on Himzo, you don't expect him to drink undiluted anaemic cat's pee do you?

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2004, 11:14 PM
.... you don't expect him to drink undiluted anaemic cat's pee do you?

I wouldn't....... - :eek:
http://www.catclinic.co.uk/health/anaemia.htm

AlexS
2nd September 2004, 11:20 PM
Chernobyl strength plunger, white + 2 please. First one after brekkie while I read the paper & do the cryptic, 2nd one sometime in the morning if I take a break, 3rd one mid afternoon. Any later than that and I can't sleep.

Sturdee
3rd September 2004, 12:07 AM
The question of how do you prefer your coffee reminded me of a long time ago when an old flame used to ask " Coffee, tea or me? " :D

Now coffee should be like a women, mine is white and sweet :D others have it hot and black :D and some even have it bitter and frothy but without substance. :eek:

Peter.

bloggs1968
3rd September 2004, 12:16 AM
For me it's espresso and bloody lots of it.

Freshly roasted beans that have "outgassed" for a few days to get the flavour just right. I used to be a Vittoria man until it was explained to me that the vacuum packed beans in the shops are "old" beans. Beans actually continue to outgas for quite a few days after roasting and if they were fresh when they were vacuum sealed, the packets would explode!

A coffee mad mate got me on to the absolute best coffee machine on the market - the La Pavoni Professional Lusso - a beautiful chromed lever job that uses brute force not steam pressure to pass the water through the grinds (see http://www.lapavoni.com/Shopping/Shopping.asp?stato=2&cat=4&id_item=22&lang=2). Totally bitter free taste. Very reliable and in nearly 4 years, I have only had one small seal go in it. Same design since the 50's or 60's I believe. I cringed at the cost initially but my wife, who also likes her coffee, easily justified with a breakdown of cost per cup over the life of the unit.(Now if I could just apply the same argument to some new tools!)

I even get up half an hour early so I can squeeze in three before I walk out the door plus some more when I get home.

regards,

Andrew

Cliff Rogers
3rd September 2004, 12:25 AM
The question of how do you prefer your coffee ... coffee should be like a women...

the way I heard it was "white with 2, or strong & black" :D

silentC
3rd September 2004, 09:04 AM
Can I be a spelling nazi and a coffee snob at the same time and point out that the word is ESPRESSO with an S
es·pres·so (-sprs, -sprs) also ex·pres·so (k-sprs, k-)
n. pl. es·pres·sos

A strong coffee brewed by forcing steam under pressure through darkly roasted, powdered coffee beans.

simon c
3rd September 2004, 09:24 AM
Hi silentc

Probability, spelling - why don't we just stick to easy subjects like politics and religion? ;)

simon c
3rd September 2004, 09:52 AM
A few people have asked whether it is worth getting a decent coffee machine. I bought a very expensive machine about 4 years ago and my main question was: will it end up like like our juicer or our friend's bread machine and get used everyday for 3 months and then end up in a cupboard.

What I bought was a Saeco fully automatic machine. It cost about $2,000. You fill the water reservoir and the bean holder and when you want a cup of coffee you press the button and it grinds the coffee, outs the coffee in the holder brews the coffee and throws the grinds into a small bin. You empty the bin once a week and clean the mechanism once a month. I have had it for 4 years and it has dispensed 3,500 shots of coffee (note that I normally have a double shot). I no longer drink instant coffee, not just because of teh taste but because I can make a real cup of coffee in less time that it takes to boil a kettle. In addition, my version has a tube taht you put into a bottle of milk that sucks up the milk, froths it and squirts it into a cup. It's basically a smaller version of the type of machine you find in the Qanta club lounge and the like except that I put decent coffee in it.

Saeco is the main brand for fully automatic machines but a few other companies are getting on the bandwagon recently.

When it came down to it, I had the choice of spending $800 on an ordianry machine that would be a novelty or $2,000 on the real thing. After 4 years my coffee machine plays as fundamental a role in my kitchen as the kettle.

Simon

http://www.saeco.com.au/

silentC
3rd September 2004, 10:24 AM
My machine is an el-cheapo Sunbeam. I've got two actually, one at home and one in the office. I've had the one at home for about 3-4 years and it is used a couple of times on the weekend. The one in the office I've had for a year and is used at least twice a day during the week.

There's no way I would spend more than $300-$400 on something like this. I'm fussy enough to prefer expresso but not fussy enough to spend more than I spent on my tablesaw! Besides, it would do me no good to be fussy because where I live, I'm lucky I can get beans for it at all, let alone have a choice of what type.

I always wanted to get one of those big jobs like they have in the Cafe's but never had the opportunity. They're not cheap either - even second hand.

PaulS
3rd September 2004, 11:14 AM
There was an article in the latest choice magazine on espresso machines. I was quite suprised what they said...

The KRUPS Nespresso 893 ($499) and the SAECO Magic Espresso ($349)scored best overall.

Of these two, the KRUPS made the better-tasting coffee, but it wasn’t as hot as it ought to be, and it costs more per cup than with the SAECO, which is both cheaper to buy and to run.

But with an average retail price of only $194, the BREVILLE ESP8 is obviously the best buy. It’s the cheapest in the test and scored the same as the SAECO Magic Espresso for coffee making and better for milk frothing.

Driver
3rd September 2004, 02:36 PM
I voted plunger because that's how I make my coffee most of the time. Over the years I've tried all sorts of different devices but I reckon I can get a good result using minimal technology. If I want an espresso, I use the traditional Italian pot that goes on the stove.

As for the beans, I like Lavazza but I'll try anything that comes with a reasonable reputation. I was given some excellent PNG organic beans last week. Different brand from the ones you mention, Cliff, but very good coffee.

Col

Grunt
3rd September 2004, 02:38 PM
I drink my coffee strong and black. I really notice if the coffee isn't up to scratch. I work in Hawthorn. Hawthorn is an upmarket (read 'snobby') suburb with a crap football team. Sadly, I can't get consistantly good coffee on Glenferrie Road. The quality ranges from good, to drinkable, to down right pooh and sadly never great. It My little Krups Nespresso makes consistently great coffee.

I ended up getting one of the more expensive Krups machines for the office and now my life is complete.

Melbourne prides itself on being the coffee capital in Australia, however in my experience 90% of the coffee served here is below par. I worked in the city a few years back and found that Pizza Napoli on Russel Street has the best coffee in that part of town.

Alastair
3rd September 2004, 03:18 PM
$2000 for a coffee machine at home? More money than sense I think.

simon c
3rd September 2004, 05:33 PM
Alistair, if you don't think it is worth it then you should say so and that is fine. How I choose to spend my money is up to me, I'm sure there are plenty of things that others buy that I would see as a waste (for example I drive a cheap car) but please do not resort to personal insults just because you disagree with my choice.

Iain
3rd September 2004, 06:27 PM
Yes, I am deeply offended too, just because I like diluted anaemic cats 'pee' (thankyou Shane), some people just have no taste.
Off to sulk in shed with new saw :o

Neal
4th September 2004, 08:09 AM
Flat white using a stove top pot, the kids buy different grinds /brands but LaVassa caffe espresso gets my vote.The pots are easy to use & make better tasting coffee than alot of places sell.As for machines if i had the cash i would not hesitate to spend $2000 on one but 'thats the wish list'.

Neal

Grunt
4th September 2004, 11:06 AM
In last weeks 'The Age' there was a story about a bloke who bought a comercial espresso machine and had it plumbed in to his house. Cost him $6000. He thought it was good value.

Ben from Vic.
4th September 2004, 12:42 PM
Hot, and in a mug, thank you. ;)

MarkV
4th September 2004, 08:40 PM
Instant; quick easy cheap ;) At work i would have about 10 cups a day I work 12hr shifts. At home maybe three or four unless the Kids have scoffed my 2 litres of Coke per day:mad: then I need to get my eens somewhere :)

Alastair
6th September 2004, 05:34 PM
Alistair, if you don't think it is worth it then you should say so and that is fine. How I choose to spend my money is up to me, I'm sure there are plenty of things that others buy that I would see as a waste (for example I drive a cheap car) but please do not resort to personal insults just because you disagree with my choice.

Simon

By putting up the information on a public BB, you are inviting comment. I commented. If you do not want to hear negative feedback, then you should refrain from posting information which other might find controversial.

My post was not a personal attack, it was a personal observation on the concept of spending that much on an indulgence. If you choose to take umbrage, that is your business.

Alastair

Grunt
6th September 2004, 06:03 PM
Instant; quick easy cheap At work i would have about 10 cups a day I work 12hr shifts. At home maybe three or four unless the Kids have scoffed my 2 litres of Coke per day then I need to get my eens somewhere

I used to drink about 10 cups of instant a day. Now 1 or 2 espressos is enough. Could never go back to instant.

simon c
6th September 2004, 06:10 PM
Simon

By putting up the information on a public BB, you are inviting comment. I commented. If you do not want to hear negative feedback, then you should refrain from posting information which other might find controversial.

My post was not a personal attack, it was a personal observation on the concept of spending that much on an indulgence. If you choose to take umbrage, that is your business.

Alastair

Alistair,

I accept that you were not intending to make a personal attack and I am more than happy for other people to make their comments about my opinions either in a negative or a positive way - something that I was expecting when I made the post. I understand that spending a lot of money on a coffee machine would not be high on the priority of others but I believe it comes into the same realm as those who buy expensive cars, home theatres, or dare I say it on this BB, top of the range woodworking tools.

However, I wanted to point out that if you use comments like "more money than sense" then they will be taken personally and I don't believe that it is just my business whether I take umbrage with your comments, but the responsibility of all who use this BB to take care when we express our opinions that we are only commenting on the opinions of others and not in a way that the others will take personally.

As I said, I understand that you were just expressing your opinion and I would have had no problems with that, but I felt that the phrase used was a bit too personal for me to ignore.

Simon

Iain
6th September 2004, 09:13 PM
What is the best stain for Tassie Oak, Espresso or Instant Coffee, bugger, should have done a poll on this :mad:

Perthite
7th September 2004, 06:02 AM
Touchy................

Termite
7th September 2004, 09:45 AM
Caffeine induced sensitivity....

Iain
7th September 2004, 06:29 PM
Not really, too much caffeine :D :D , also like to give the others a rev to keep them on their toes, well, they do it to me don't they?

jackiew
8th September 2004, 09:59 AM
treated myself to the Breville ESP4 (capuccino(sp?)/espresso maker) - $67.99 in K-mart 15% off sale ( last day today in Melbourne), tried it out after breakfast this morning.

1. it makes an ok cup of coffee
2. the instruction booklet is in MHO poor ( if I can be bothered I may give Breville my feedback ).
3. the machine has some features which may prove irritating to live with .. never used one before so these may be "normal"

- while the box indicates measures for 1-4 cups what they don't indicate is that you have to make 2 cups whether you like it or not ... so if there is just one of you you are going to make 2 cups dirty.

-the left hand spout dispensed more slowly than the right hand spout ( does anyone know if this is normal or did I get a dud one ? ). so you are going to have to judge the point to stop the machine for your one cup of coffee.

- you have to switch it off at the wall to turn off the cup warmer - there is no "off" switch on the machine.

- if your overhead kitchen cupboards are low you may have trouble opening the lid to put your water in.

- the instructions tell you to put the water in to a level 5mm below the exposed water pipes. So far I've overfilled it twice - basically you can't see 5mm below the pipes while you're filling the thing up. So keep something absorbent - kitchen towel, face washer etc to "suck up" the extra liquid.

The best I could do without stuffing the face washer into the internals to use capillary action was to get the water level with the top of the exposed water pipes and it seemed to work ok.

- you have no way of knowing how much water is in there until it pops over the top of the pipes ( i.e. full up ) So its definately a case of stand over the thing while it does the job and prepare to switch it to "standby" as soon as the right hand cup and left hand cup reach their different levels to meet your needs. If you walk off and leave it, even with mugs instead of their p*ssy little cups you are going to have coffee all over the kitchen bench.

btw you can fit mugs under it as long as they aren't excessively tall or excessively thick walled.

- you probably wouldn't want to buy it for someone who isn't good at remembering a sequence of actions or has slow reactions - a plunger or drip filter will probably suit them better. And I'm betting I make at least one cup of coffee without the coffee :o

All that said I'll probably get my money's worth out of it ( I reckon around 40 cups of coffee and it will have paid for itself if it means I stop buying on the way to work and treating myself when i'm out at the weekend ).

jackiew
10th September 2004, 01:09 PM
irritated with the fact that the coffee maker doesn't fill both cups equally I spoke to Breville Customer Services.

They answered very quickly and the guy on the phone was very helpful. It seems the ESP2 and the newer ESP4 both have the same behaviour. One nozzle will work faster than the other. And if they send me another one it will do the same.

It would seem, if I understood the guy correctly, that the Customer Services people get to take the products home to try them so he was able to tell me that he'd had an ESP6 and been happy with it ( of course its more expensive :( ).

turns out you can put one big cup under both nozzles if you only want one cup - :o now why didn't I think of that!

But for making two cups of coffee expect to have to either make them sequentially or have fast reactions and be better at pouring from one cup into another than I am.

silentC
10th September 2004, 01:13 PM
My Sunbeam is a bit out of balance too but it works for me because if it's just me, the cup goes under both nozzles and if it's me and the missus, she likes hers weak - left hand nozzle. Otherwise I'd have to tip some out of hers into mine. Blessing in disguise ;)

craigb
10th September 2004, 03:24 PM
My six year old Krups is also exactly the same, except which is the "favored" nozzle changes from time to time. Sometimes they both work at the same speed but only rarely.

Kris.Parker1
10th September 2004, 05:09 PM
I love the smell and taste of percolated coffee, nothing better than setting the stove to switch on about half an hour before I get up so I can rise with the smell of percolating Irish Creme Coffee!

Ben from Vic.
10th September 2004, 09:41 PM
My perants currently own a chicken and chips shop (Chickens Ahoy, Wantirna mall ;) ) and our 10 amp 6300 watt single ph. machine (not a typo :eek: ) always puts the same amount in the left cup and the right cup. :D

They have been to Lavazza coffee school and make the best capaccino/latte in the area. There not supper trendy, just nice simple coffee.
The key is a clean machine (!) and freshly ground beans.

Latte is my fav.

Ben.

Ben from Vic.
12th September 2004, 05:47 PM
and our 10 amp 6300 watt single ph. machine (not a typo :eek: )

I just noticed that this is infact a typo :o

The machine isn't 10 amp, but it is 6300 watts and single phase.

outback
12th September 2004, 07:42 PM
We have one about the same size, only difference is we use the water for a shower at night. :D

Iain
14th September 2004, 09:00 AM
Just as a slightly off topic comment, the two worst coffee's I have had the displeasure of sampling were from McDonalds, stewed and bitter, and the Sorrento to Queenscliff ferry whom I suspect re stew McDonalds leftovers, and charge for the privilege.

namtrak
15th September 2004, 12:22 PM
I was drinking Instant in my mothers womb, and have done so ever since. The only concession I have made (in the last few weeks as a matter of fact) is that I am trying the cheapest version of decaffienated coffee - for no real reason other than I think it might be less of a burden on my health.. What has been the outcome of this? Well every second person tells me how bad decaf is because of all the chemicals they use to take the caffeine out (sort of ironic in a way), I am dead tired all day and I am now sleeping like a log at night. I wonder what Dr Phil would say?

Speaking of Doctors and Coffee, I had a sore shoulder/back some time ago and went to a chiro 3 times in a row with no discernible improvement. I then went to a Doctor who asked, without touching the injury if I was drinking coffee. He suggested I stop for a week or so because caffeine can dry out the ligaments in your joints. Of course after a few days the shoulder was fine. I went back to the chiro and mentioned this to him and his reply "Oh yeh, I knew that" Suffice to say he is still waiting to get paid!!!

barnsey
23rd September 2004, 11:50 AM
Only drink cold tea :mad:

Comes in a can with the word "Carlton" on it :p

All that caffeine's bad for you :D

And it takes less time to open the fridge than it does to boil the jug :p

Jon
26th September 2004, 09:28 PM
I drink expresso at work because we have an industrial grade automatic machine.

Instant at home 'cause its easy. Used to drink plunger but my wife has taken ownership of the plunger. We bought a bigger plunger so we could share but then she also bought bigger cups.......back to instant for me.

We do have a stove top expresso machine that I sometimes pull out at breakfast times on weekends.

Now don't howl and cringe but I do like macca's drip filtered. We have a drip filter machine at home but as far as I am concerned the coffee always tastes muddy or stewed, or both. Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong?

Jon

simon c
27th September 2004, 04:19 PM
We have a drip filter machine at home but as far as I am concerned the coffee always tastes muddy or stewed, or both. Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong?

Hi Jon,

Assuming that you aren't just leaving the coffee sitting on the hotplate for too long, I would say that your coffee is too finely ground, which means that the fine grinds are getting through to the coffee (hence the muddy taste) and the coffee is taking too long to filter through (hence it tasting stewed).

In theory you should use finely ground coffee in a filter machine but maybe in yuor case you should use a medium grind.

Simon

LineLefty
27th September 2004, 05:46 PM
Jon, also. makesure you drink it straigth away, there seems to be a myth that you can brew a pot of dripolator coffee and leave it on the hot plate all day. It gets a metallic tang pretty quickly.

I've actually been hooked on "Raspberry Leaf tea". It's supposed to be for pregnant women/new mums to help their uterus contract after birth or something. Well, my wife hates the stuff....but it's not helping my stomach contract!

If my dad found out I was drinking raspberry leaf tea, he'd turn in his grave.

LineLefty
27th September 2004, 05:51 PM
Can I be a spelling nazi and a coffee snob at the same time and point out that the word is ESPRESSO with an S which is based on the Italian word for pressure as it is preesure that is used in an espresso machine to get the coffee out of the beans and not EXPRESSO with an X which doesn't mean anything in Italian at all.
Simon

I agree it's about 4th on my language annoyances list. Behind Wimbelton, Yous and anything anding in Z i.e Phonez.

Owatafuliyam

johna
27th September 2004, 06:28 PM
mmmmmm cooooofffffeeeeeeeeee yuuuuuuum

i am a true coffee geek, snob, nut case whatever you want to call me.
I love coffee so much that i spent well over $3k to make that perfect coffee at home.
Sitting proudly in my Kitchen are the following 2 items.

1: Coffee Machine ECM Giotto Premium
http://beau-port.co.uk/acatalog/images/ecm-giotto_chrome_xlg.jpg

2: Mazzer Mini Grinder
http://www.koffie-thee.nl/media/Mazzer_mini_Gr.jpg

Now who's up for a nice cup of coffee, cheapest place in Melbourne...
well i do have to pay it off somehow and get the wife to stop nagging me about buying such a machine

Driver
27th September 2004, 07:14 PM
Que bella machina!

silentC
28th September 2004, 09:46 AM
I agree it's about 4th on my language annoyances list. Behind Wimbelton, Yous and anything anding in Z i.e Phonez.

Owatafuliyam
es·pres·so (-sprs, -sprs) also ex·pres·so (k-sprs, k-)
n. pl. es·pres·sos

A strong coffee brewed by forcing steam under pressure through darkly roasted, powdered coffee beans.

:rolleyes:

Top of my list of language annoyances is people who insist on sticking to the original pronunciation of foreign words. It's just a common word in Italian, nothing special, so why do people switch to an Italian accent when they say it? It's so fake and pretentious.

In fact that's why I hesitated to use 'espresso' and wrote 'expresso' instead.

Bunch of latte sippers. :rolleyes:

craigb
28th September 2004, 10:05 AM
Johna,

Good grief ! :eek: :eek:

And I felt guilty paying $400 for a Krups :rolleyes:

Craig

bitingmidge
28th September 2004, 11:29 AM
Top of my list of language annoyances is people who insist on sticking to the original pronunciation of foreign words.
It's so fake and pretentious.
Bunch of latte sippers. :rolleyes:
You mean like the way "Chile" used to be called "Chilly" but is now "Cheelay", or "Latte" used to be called "coffee made on milk"?

ciao!

:D :D :D
P (Who drinks coffee made on milk out of a glass wrapped in a paper towel!)

silentC
28th September 2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it's like people are afraid to be Aussie - like they think people will look down on you if you drink a tinnie, go swimming in your cosies, or refer to a bunch of your mates in the second person as 'youse'. I blame the government. When Bob Hawke was Priminister, it would never have been allowed to happen. Blokes were blokes and sheilas were sheilas. These days, nobody knows who is what and we're all running around trying to impress everyone with how cultured, left wing, sensitive and liberal minded we are. Snooty bloody north shore latte sipping snobs: that's what we're turning into. The country is going to the dogs and it's left it's form guide at home. Strewth!!!

LineLefty
28th September 2004, 11:52 AM
I've always wondered if Krups is any corporate relation to the Krups steel firm in nazi germany..............................google search coming up

Google search done, I was wrong, Krupp was the german armaments company, Krups is a wholly owned sub of Gillette, in France.

sorry! you can enjoy your coffee in peace.

johna
28th September 2004, 12:39 PM
Johna,

Good grief ! :eek: :eek:

And I felt guilty paying $400 for a Krups :rolleyes:

Craig

My previous machine was a saeco magic deluxe, made a good coffee but i felt you could get alot better so the next logical step was to get a semi commercial unit. I was looking at a full commercial unit but it could only be connected direct to the plumbing which i didn't want to do in this house as we shall be moving shortly. With the ECM i have the option of direct plumbing or using the 4 ltr water container.

Yes i love my coffee, and yes i am mad, but just like our woodworking tools which cost us alot of money this machine will also give great results and last a very long time.

bitingmidge
28th September 2004, 01:05 PM
or refer to a bunch of your mates in the second person as 'youse'

Now to be fair, I thought that's what Kiwi's called a bunch of sheilas.

Cheers,
P
:D :D :D

Termite
28th September 2004, 04:49 PM
My previous machine was a silver plated scooping implement made in England. You deftly inserted it into the jar of instant coffee, and provided it wasn't the morning after the night before, transfered the scooped granules into a mug. It was also handy for agitating the mixture after the water was added.

I have now graduated to a highly sophisticated $12.00 plunger from KMart, and spent the leftover $1500 bucks on woodworking machinery. :D :D

bitingmidge
28th September 2004, 06:49 PM
My previous machine was a silver plated scooping implement made in England. You deftly inserted it into the jar of instant coffee, and provided it wasn't the morning after the night before, transfered the scooped granules into a mug. It was also handy for agitating the mixture after the water was added.

Yeah, it's like people are afraid to be Aussie - like they think people will look down on you if you drink a tinnie, go swimming in your cosies, or..............USE A TEASPOON to stir your COFFEE!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

P

scooter
28th September 2004, 10:39 PM
Gday all, we (the bride & I) lashed out on a Saeco Via Venezia about a year ago, about $500 I think, use it every day for at least a couple of cups.

Considered the cheaper machines but glad we went for the Saeco. Excellent quality, only the basic features, no electronics, but makes a great cuppa and plenty of steam for cappaccinos (sp?).

Coffee beans - recommend Sumatran Mandehling beans from Coffea coffee merchants (top of Elizabeth St Melbourne) - the ducks guts.

We felt guilty forking out this sort of dough on just a coffee machine but one year on don't regret it one bit, wouldn't be without it and would buy the same again no probs.

Cheers.................jittery Sean

silentC
29th September 2004, 09:11 AM
.....USE A TEASPOON to stir your COFFEE!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

P
What do you use? A piece of marble from Mt Altissima sculptured into the shape of a miniature Venus di Milo?

Or a paddlepop stick?

:D

Grunt
29th September 2004, 10:48 AM
I bought a Krups Nespresso machine like this.

http://www.nespresso.com/precom/sima/img/machines/c190_748_3_xl.jpg
Which uses these little coffee capsule thingies like this

http://www.nespresso.com/precom/img0404/caps_10_big.gif

This machine makes great coffee every time with no mess, no grinding and you can keep a number of flavours and strengths on hand because they stay fresh for months.

Also, I had a rare win when I bought it. These beaties were normally $650 but Myer had the price marked wrongly at $500. There was a sale on where I got 50% off and then the manufacturer had a $100 cash back offer. I ended up paying $150 (for those whose maths is suspect) for a $650 machine. :D :D

The best $150 I've ever spent.

Grunt

barnsey
3rd November 2004, 11:07 AM
Frankly don't like coffee - does strange things to me - love the smell though. :)

Prefer a cup of cold tea - comes in a bottle or can with a green label - think it's got the letters "VB" on it but not always.

Luckily SWMBO likes coffee so I get the best of both worlds

Jamie

Harry72
17th December 2004, 04:35 PM
Hey I cant vote... I only drink Iced coffee!

Gumby
7th January 2005, 02:47 PM
This thread keeps popping up on my 'New Posts' search. But it says the last post was 2 weeks ago. :confused: :confused: Anyone else have the same ????

silentC
7th January 2005, 02:50 PM
Every time someone votes on a poll it will appear as new post even though there was no actual post to it.

Iain
7th January 2005, 02:55 PM
Its the caffeine that causes it :D

Gumpy
7th January 2005, 03:00 PM
I used to drink instant like it was going out of fashion so I needed to make a change for the better, now I use one of those stove thingy's to make the coffee. My instant coffee intake was about 10 cups a day whereas now its about 3 at the most. I not a conasuier by any means, I buy what ever is going cheap, probably a bit like my tool buying habits. Maybe one day I will appreciate good coffee.

Daniel