PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Vicmarc VL100

Allen Neighbors
31st January 2010, 08:55 AM
This is what I finally came up with for my Little Vic. This hydraulic lift table was suggested on another forum, and I looked into it. I bought it from Northern Tool, in Texas.
The store manager was driving to a town about 30 miles from where I live, and took it with him, so he saved me about a 440 mile drive, and the shipping charges. :p
I mounted a piece of 3/4 ply a little larger than the diamond plate top, and mounted my VL 100 to that.
Raised, it is the perfect height for sitting down and turning. (I'm gettin' lazy?)
I can step on the pedal, and lower it and roll it out of the shed and into my RV, to take it to shows and such.
It's a very stable little stand, even without locking the casters.
Pic One - Raised position
Pic Two - Lowered position. The handle comes out, and can be stowed underneath.

hughie
31st January 2010, 09:33 AM
Nice one Allen, now you can wheel it around and not be tied to the back of the truck as well. How do you get it in the back of the truck. The ones they sell here a pretty darn heavy to be lugging off the back of a ute too often. :2tsup:

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 09:34 AM
Allen good choice I like the grinder mounted a the rear for sharpening.

What was the cost of the trolly they are not that cheap here.

Ray

Allen Neighbors
31st January 2010, 11:02 AM
Huey, I won't put this in my truck, unless I dismount the lathe. Even collapsed, it's too high to fit under the tonneau cover. But I can wheel it up the ramp and into the Toy Room on my Travel Trailer, for when we go to shows.

Ray, that's the motor for the lathe, my Grinder is behind me when I took the pic. The motor is on a hinged board, the weight of it keeps the belt tight. I paid 140 USD for it. But to me, it's well worth it. It beats me having to build something, and not having the tools to do it. This is an exceptional little lift.

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 12:51 PM
:o The motor gee if we took that to a show we would have to have a safety screen around it in case some DH stuck their hand in to feel the belts.

Not to bad a price Allan H&F's hre have them from $200 https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Lift-Trolleys

Allen Neighbors
1st February 2010, 12:11 PM
Wow! The trolleys are more expensive, and that first one looks just like mine... same weight/same height. I just thought they might cost less down under for some reason.
Safety screen? I'm in the process of getting some plexiglass to make a guard along the back side and left side of the lathe, for just that purpose. It should extend from the headstock to the rear edge of the table, and from corner to corner along the back edge. I wish there was some way I could put the motor underneath, but I'd have to remove it everytime I lowered the trolley.
Something else I did: Don't know if it's very visible, but I modified the little slit in the headstock. It was to peek through when you changed belts, but you couldn't see anything through it with bifocals. So I widened it, and then installed a little hinged rubber flap to keep out the shavings. Under the flap, it still has my modified speed chart (modified for my motor speed).

hughie
1st February 2010, 05:14 PM
\
So I widened it, and then installed a little hinged rubber flap to keep out the shavings. Under the flap, it still has my modified speed chart (modified for my motor speed).

I guess Al you could always cover the slot with plexiglass and make it a window, even more dust proof. :2tsup:

dai sensei
1st February 2010, 08:11 PM
I looked into something similar for my mini. Ended up going away from the scisser lift, to get the 850 odd height I wanted they were either way too expensive, or too unstable.

How do you find yours, rocking from side to side wise?

I ended up ordering the below trolley tool box table, and some Al ramps to get it all in/out of trailer (that I can also use for other things). The table also has room for my wetgrind underneath during transport, but I will attach a folding shelf on the side, for when I use the wetgrind.

Cheers

Allen Neighbors
2nd February 2010, 10:17 AM
How do you find yours, rocking from side to side wise?
Cheers
Haven't had any probs so far... even without locking the wheels. It has proved to be very stable. I'm going to turn a small bowl on it one of these days, so I'll know more about how stable it is then.

artme
2nd February 2010, 03:47 PM
Too smart by half Allen!!! Well done!!!:2tsup:

I was wondering about stability but Neil has that covered. I gues the heft of the VL helps with the stability.

What did you pay for your trolley Neil, and from where??

dai sensei
2nd February 2010, 10:35 PM
What did you pay for your trolley Neil, and from where??

DealsDirect ~$200 delivered

Allen Neighbors
3rd February 2010, 02:06 AM
$200 delivered.
That sounds like it'd be a good deal to me! Mine cost less, but I had to drive 50 miles round trip (return trip on solid ice) to get it. Normal freight from Fort Worth for my trolley is $59 US.
Only difference, height not adjustable. But it might be ideal as it is.