PDA

View Full Version : Handle for Thompson Gouge...finally

hughie
31st January 2010, 09:07 AM
Finally got around to it, had the bit lying around for months

Stainless tube, light gauge 1.25" OD or 32mm 18" long or 500mm. The length was arrived at by measuring from elbow to the tip of my extended fingers.

Pressed a piece of HT into the end and TIG welded, it has m6 locking screws.

I have left the back end open in case I might want to add some counter balancing weight to it. Its not some I normally do, but I though it was a good idea to allow for it anyway.
Foam is a vinyl foam form the US of A, smooth finish but has a very grippy feel to it should do fine.I got a few samples set over, too dear to import as they satrt out at $2.50USD and rise to over $8USD with freight. If you go along to Clark Rubber here something similar can be had for around $4.50 off the shelf

Ed Reiss
31st January 2010, 12:57 PM
Very nicely done Hughie :2tsup:

vinyl foam...just another excellent product from the good ole' US of A :rolleyes:

hughie
31st January 2010, 04:08 PM
vinyl foam...just another excellent product from the good ole' US of A

yep its a great product but the freight kills it 3 and 4 times the purchase price. :no:

Gil Jones
31st January 2010, 05:07 PM
Good one, Hughie :2tsup:
Gil

Ad de Crom
31st January 2010, 09:54 PM
Hughie, clever idea to use a stainless steel tube for the handle with foam for a soft grip. It will works well, I bet.
Ad :2tsup:

rodent
31st January 2010, 11:15 PM
What no lead shot'ed end in the handle just a bit more and it would be just the thing ill have two thanks hughie .:cool:

rsser
2nd February 2010, 08:55 AM
Looks the biz hughie

TTIT
2nd February 2010, 09:39 AM
............Foam is a vinyl foam form the US of A, smooth finish but has a very grippy feel to it should do fine.I got a few samples set over, too dear to import as they satrt out at $2.50USD and rise to over $8USD with freight. If you go along to Clark Rubber here something similar can be had for around $4.50 off the shelfTop job Hughie :2tsup:. Enzo carries foam handle covers for the Vermec tools that I think he sells separately :shrug: - gave me a few with the stubby anyway :shrug:

Allen Neighbors
2nd February 2010, 10:08 AM
Nice work, Hughie... just what we've all come to expect from you. :)