PDA

View Full Version : PowerJaw question

Daddy3x
31st January 2010, 02:57 PM
I just added a set of Powerjaws (real deep serrated ones) for the SN2. Got it for 12" + plus bowls and such. When clamping on a larger tenon, approaching jaw set max, there seems to be some deflection. The gap between each of the jaws tapers outward. When not clamped, it closes just fine. They just flex that much?

hughie
31st January 2010, 04:07 PM
Hmm, just checked mine and there zero deflection the jaws close with only a paper thickness of a gap if that . Must be the Chinese influence coming out again, mine were made in NZ.

Daddy3x
1st February 2010, 03:50 AM
I know anything is possible, but overtightening on the tenon causing the deflection?

I also did not use the full depth of the jaws, maybe only down to the first serration from the opening. Did I just state the answer to my problem?

rsser
1st February 2010, 07:52 AM
Probably ;-}

I use Vicmarc shark jaws with similar extension and can reduce the face circumference without too much trouble in a faceplate ring.

Allen Neighbors
1st February 2010, 01:29 PM
I've got the Powergrip Jaws for my Nova Titan... and they don't flex... but as you guessed, it may be that you're not filling the jaws with tenon. I would just use the 100mm jaws if I didn't need the extra-length tenon... :)

Daddy3x
2nd February 2010, 09:41 AM
And to think, I have just enough time to head to the tool store on Wednesday, guess I know what will be coming home with me. Thanks