PDA

View Full Version : Practice Oval turning

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 06:09 PM
I have been making some oval handles, I started by making a Ballpein Hammer handle.:2tsup: . Turning I didn't do to bad but trying to make 3 handles for cutlery the same and smaller will take a bit more patience a better layout/set up/marking out.

I am using NSW Rosewood. The handles are for salad servers and a bread knife which have oval tang fitting furrule's.

The tapper to the furrule is what has me worried as the drilled hole is so damn close.:~

How did I go about my 1st attempts

Using some scrap Rosewood, after marking out and drilling the tang hole, I turned one side off centre, sanded and then did the 2nd. Mounted on centre and rounded the edges off more. All was good but slightly different shape between the two handles. except for roughing all done with the skew.

I'd appreciate any tips or hints.

Ray

bowl-basher
31st January 2010, 07:27 PM
:worthless:

Ad de Crom
31st January 2010, 09:30 PM
Ray, I understand more or less what you are trying to achieve, but like Graham said, a picture would be a great help to understand it better.
Ad

rodent
31st January 2010, 11:26 PM
Let me guess you have a centre point with two offset points ether side mm , how far are your offset's from center .Use a piece of wood that you drill to the size of the taper jentley knock the wood onto the taper . Make a jig from ally drill the center one just under the size of the brad you will use to mark the center . The two offset's the same size of the brad squezze :oo: the brad into the center one , nail into the end of wood . use the two other holes to mark the offset's pull off your axis points are now marked . Phew what a lot of words . I hope this helps .:2tsup:

wheelinround
1st February 2010, 10:22 AM
Lets see if this helps a few photo's

Edit... Disregard the top bits yet to e cut off

First 4 photo's of the tang and the oval furrule its a flush fit type not recessed but has prongs to help make a tight fit.

5th photo the fit up to the spoon.

Last 3 the other utensils both for cheese in process of sanding and WOP coats (if the humidity and rain will let up).

The blocks they are sitting on will be for the 3 I have to make not yet cut to size

artme
1st February 2010, 11:49 AM
Cheese Wheelin' that's good progress!!

Ed Reiss
1st February 2010, 12:53 PM
looks like you did pretty damn well Ray :2tsup:

bowl-basher
1st February 2010, 12:54 PM
Cheese Wheelin' that's good progress!!

:doh::doh::doh: IF THAT WERN'T CORNY IT WOULD BE CHEESY

wheelinround
1st February 2010, 02:07 PM
Ah gents the last 3 photo's are NOT the finished products I am turning the oval handles for they are round.

Thanks for the comments though except that fellow looking a bit Blue and Vein ........artme:U

Ozkaban
1st February 2010, 08:54 PM
Neat pics Ray. Very cool work. Do you have any photos of the hammer?

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
1st February 2010, 08:56 PM
Neat pics Ray. Very cool work. Do you have any photos of the hammer?

Cheers,
Dave

No Dave I don't didn't bother taking any.

Ad de Crom
1st February 2010, 09:47 PM
Ray, now I understand it better what you did, pics are always a big help.
Off center turning brought you with some handyman work what you got achieved.
Played by myself with the thought that it maybe was possible to create a round shape at the top of the ferrule, so that it was possible to turn a round handle, and using a copper ring to hide the damaged ferrrule. Just a thought of me.
Anyway, what you did looks good to me.
Ad

wheelinround
2nd February 2010, 11:51 AM
Here you go Dave (wish you'd asked sooner could have saved me $30 for new wiper blades that were in the same draw) :doh:

head tang of hammer was hand shaped from the shoulder using micro plane. The hump on one side is deliberate suits my uses. Made from Sydney Blue gum with a wipe of burnishing oil and sanded.

Ray

Ozkaban
2nd February 2010, 12:01 PM
How long were the wiper blades missing??

Neat looking handle. One of those jobs that is waiting for me to break a hammer handle (or procure a handle-less hammer) for me to take on. Most of my hammers are metal shaft estwings though, so I may be waiting a while to break one :D

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
2nd February 2010, 01:12 PM
How long were the wiper blades missing??

Had to replace the rear window one yesterday Dave, new I had a couple checked main tool box were I thought they were. No they were in the bench draws under the body file :doh: Had them a while I guess.

Neat looking handle. One of those jobs that is waiting for me to break a hammer handle (or procure a handle-less hammer) for me to take on. Most of my hammers are metal shaft estwings though, so I may be waiting a while to break one :D

Cheers,
Dave

I had the hammer handle a week when I broke the end some 20 years ago :rolleyes: it didn't bother me. Poor quality workmanship bought from a turner at markets it wasn't right thickness or size either.

Metal handles :no::no: way I have used ones fellows have welded/fitted themselves to their hammers talk about Bad Vibes.

I love my Hickory handled panel beating hammers :2tsup::2tsup: not broken one of them yet 30+ years.

I do recall making a turned hammer handle at school it lasted a while and got a daily beating throughout my years of apprenticeship.

Ozkaban
2nd February 2010, 01:29 PM
Metal handles :no::no: way I have used ones fellows have welded/fitted themselves to their hammers talk about Bad Vibes.

hmmm. I never thought I could ever care about the brand of a hammer, but I do love these Estwing things. Beautifully balanced... Maybe one day when I finally get off my butt to come and visit, I'll bring one for you to play with :D

wheelinround
2nd February 2010, 02:00 PM
hmmm. I never thought I could ever care about the brand of a hammer, but I do love these Estwing things. Beautifully balanced... Maybe one day when I finally get off my butt to come and visit, I'll bring one for you to play with :D

If you don't mind me hitting steel with it :U Dave no problem.
Just checked out some on google most are wood claw hammers. Often when hitting steel with ballpein you miss and hit the handle wood softens the vibrations to the wrist metal will jar the crap out of it. Even belting the hammer face sends shocks through the wrist 4lb er's were good for that or 10lb sledge hammers swinging at bus bumper bars or chassis.

Ozkaban
2nd February 2010, 02:06 PM
If you don't mind me hitting steel with it :U Dave no problem.

Isn't that what nails are made out of???
:D:D:D

Just checked out some on google most are wood claw hammers. Often when hitting steel with ballpein you miss and hit the handle wood softens the vibrations to the wrist metal will jar the crap out of it. Even belting the hammer face sends shocks through the wrist 4lb er's were good for that or 10lb sledge hammers swinging at bus bumper bars or chassis.
They have vinyl or leather padding so the shock is absorbed very well actually. Like the look of the leather but like the longevity of the vinyl

This is the one I've got (amongst others :rolleyes:)
https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/images/14HAMCLAWEST.gif

Hey, just wondering, what was the original topic of this thread again??? :;

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
2nd February 2010, 02:14 PM
Original thread Oval turning practice Dave.

Nail :lb::rotfl: yeh right wire more like it try striking a stubborn kingpin or shackle or even an anvil.

Well you can see one of 3 of my ballpein hammers above I have a wooden handled claw hammer as well as mallets and a set similar to these.http://austools.com.au/gallery/images/austools/auto_body/auto-body_page_03.jpg

Ozkaban
2nd February 2010, 02:53 PM
Interesting hammers there Ray. I guess the only panel beating I get to do is from behind the wheel :driving:

artme
2nd February 2010, 03:20 PM
Hammer looks really good.:D

Now about that handle. Best send it to the mallet makers- eg. TL - to test for balance, weight, grip size and general aesthetic appearance.:rolleyes::rolleyes: I will then pass judgement>:p

wheelinround
2nd February 2010, 04:25 PM
Hammer looks really good.:D

Now about that handle. Best send it to the mallet makers- eg. TL - to test for balance, weight, grip size and general aesthetic appearance.:rolleyes::rolleyes: I will then pass judgement>:p

I have my own testing method according to my daughter Arthur :-

As for sending it to TL can't its not PURPLE.:U