PDA

View Full Version : Posting your Pen OS

Skiprat1
2nd February 2010, 03:55 AM
Hi all, just a little heads up for those that haven't posted stuff overseas before.

Please think before you declare a value on the parcel. Even if the item is marked as a gift, if the value is above the threshold for the destination country then your partner could be stung by import tax and other costs.

In the UK there is a method of declaring a relatively low value but still insuring it for a reasonable sum. The limit in the UK for a gift is £18, after which it can attract the custom mans beady eye. They sometimes slip through without them noticing, but do you really want your partner to have to pay extra?

Maybe folks can list the limits in their countries?

Cheers

MBUMIK
3rd February 2010, 11:11 PM
18 pound is not very much, not sure what it is in Australia, but i have had $500 parcels come in from the States and questions asked

it would be intereting to find out

thanks
MIK

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2010, 03:16 PM
$1000 AUD into Australia

wheelinround
4th February 2010, 03:20 PM
$1000 AUD into Australia

That was an order not present Nick :U

todays exchange rate 18 British pounds = 32.5132924 Australian dollars

So if you send a pen worth $30 plus blanks it will push them over the limit

Skiprat1
4th February 2010, 05:43 PM
$1000 AUD into Australia

Wow, does that mean you can import stuff upto the value of AU$1000 before you have to pay any import tax or other duties on it?
If so then that's another reason I'd love to live there:D
Ours doesn't matter if it's marked as a gift or not, if the value is over £18 then it could be taxed.:(

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2010, 07:12 PM
Wow, does that mean you can import stuff upto the value of AU$1000 before you have to pay any import tax or other duties on it?
If so then that's another reason I'd love to live there:D
Ours doesn't matter if it's marked as a gift or not, if the value is over £18 then it could be taxed.:(

Yep :D

My wife does a lot of clothes shopping in the US - especially now the dollar is a bit up
Theoretically they keep an eye on what you bring in over a year to see if you are doing some dodge. But for the likes of me who do an order sporadically

Skiprat1
5th February 2010, 02:37 AM
That was an order not present Nick :U

todays exchange rate 18 British pounds = 32.5132924 Australian dollars

So if you send a pen worth $30 plus blanks it will push them over the limit

Yes, IF you mark the value that high.:wink:
LOL, so if you are sending a pen / stuff to someone in the UK and don't particularly like the Limey bugger then mark it real high!!!:D

Can you guys value a pack at say AU$ 20 and still insure it for higher?

Mr Vic
5th February 2010, 02:04 PM
My swap mate asked a similar question related to what can and can not be mailed. I did some searching and found this info about restrictions on products to Australia.

What Can't Be Mailed To Australia? - DAFF (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail)

Here's what I found for shipping to the US

US Customs Information for Nonresidents - US Travel, Customs Regulations, US Customs Inspection (http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/3customsinfo-nonres.htm#bymail)

Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml)

Now my head hurts.:no: It looks like to the US is $100 per day before duty. As long as the wood is dry and free of insects it should be okay.