PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Drill Press

VB I love It !
2nd September 2004, 10:59 PM
Bunnings have a craft tech mobile drill press for $18 on sale. Just uses your 13mm electric drill. I bought one to use for one small job but it will not line up straight. Need to know if anyone has bought one that was O.K or should I just get a refund rather than swapping it. Thanks

smidsy
3rd September 2004, 12:58 AM
I would take it back and get yourself a bench mounted drill press.
The problem with those drill stands is that you have to fart around installing and removing the drill, and the nature of the beast means that it will never be completely accurate in comparison to a drill press and the accuracy will deteriorate in time as it gets worn.
It depends how portable you want, I have a bench top Ryobi drill press which is easy enough to move or you could buy a floor standing drill press and bolt it to one of those $20 trolleys that bunnies sell.
Cheers
Paul

barnsey
3rd September 2004, 02:16 AM
Having a drill press is about being able to set up and drill with a high degree of accuracy and repeatable accuracy.
Many craftsman will tell you it should be the first piece of equipment in your workshop. I'm of a persuasion that suggests that this is not far from the truth. An accurate hole drilled on whatever angle is a godsend trying to make quality crafted items be it in timber or metal.
Spend the money on a Hare & Forbes import and save yourself a heap of trouble and frustration. :)

Slavo
3rd September 2004, 09:44 AM
I had a look at the $18 craft tech mobile drill press but didn't buy it. The ones they had out of the box and on display all had a fair bit of free play/movement in the mechanism, which would lead to innaccurate drilling.