PDA

View Full Version : Picture posts

thostorey
3rd February 2010, 06:51 PM
I think I just added 3 pictures to the Album...not sure...I called the album 'Tom's Bowls'. Don't have the foggiest idea what I'm doing in 'uploading'. Plus, I'd like to post a few pics here. Same same, no idea how to do it. Guess I'd better stick to turning....:doh:

RETIRED
3rd February 2010, 07:46 PM
Go here and look down the page for a tutorial on posting pics:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f16/before-posting-sale-postings-please-read-78677/

Ozkaban
4th February 2010, 10:29 AM
nice forms - really like the second/third one. What wood is it?

Cheers,
Dave

Allen Neighbors
4th February 2010, 11:54 AM
What wood is the first one? Both are right on!

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2010, 03:28 PM
Very nice work
simply adorable timber

thostorey
4th February 2010, 04:14 PM
Pictures two and three are plum, a crotch piece given to me by a friend on spec. Pic one is of a bowl turned from a beetle killed pine tree burl. The northern part of BC is literally covered with these dead trees. They are standing but are very dry, just waiting for a spark. You can see them in the following picture, near and to the horizon. The green trees in the foreground are fir and the beetle leaves it alone. The finish on the plum is wipe on gloss poly, the burl is spray on lacquer and the nut bowl is waxed. The blue tinge to the wood is characteristic of beetle kill. The plum is about 6 inches in dia. and the nut bowl is about 9.

Ozkaban
4th February 2010, 04:29 PM
Sweet. Thanks. Plum is a neat looking wood :2tsup:

wheelinround
4th February 2010, 04:36 PM
Lovley work hope my Blood Plum is as nice when I get to it been down now 2 years.

hughie
4th February 2010, 04:43 PM
The northern part of BC is literally covered with these dead trees. They are standing but are very dry, just waiting for a spark.

Your lucky that you have a short summer in northern BC. How far up are you? I spent some time around the Watson Lake area a while back.

thostorey
4th February 2010, 05:02 PM
Whoops, forgot one:B This is the bowl, about 9" in dia, that shows the blue tinge and the finish is wax.

artme
4th February 2010, 05:48 PM
Very neat collection of well turned bowls there mate!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Like them all but the plum is particularly striking.

thostorey
5th February 2010, 01:06 PM
Your lucky that you have a short summer in northern BC. How far up are you? I spent some time around the Watson Lake area a while back.

Actually I'm mid-way up Vancouver Island which has a climate similar to that of Washington and Oregon. Not many of the beetle killed pine around here so I have quite a trek to get some. I didn't realize how well the wood turns 'til I turned this one burl and it's cut-off. I know Watson Lake and the 'Trench' south...wild and great:2tsup:

munruben
5th February 2010, 02:49 PM
Nice looking bowls, well done:2tsup:

hughie
6th February 2010, 11:34 AM
Actually I'm mid-way up Vancouver Island which has a climate similar to that of Washington and Oregon. Not many of the beetle killed pine around here so I have quite a trek to get some. I didn't realize how well the wood turns 'til I turned this one burl and it's cut-off. I know Watson Lake and the 'Trench' south...wild and great:2tsup:

[/QUOTE]

Darn nice part of the world. :2tsup: BC was always a favourite spot for me