PDA

View Full Version : A big stool.

tea lady
4th February 2010, 05:06 PM
I made this yesterday, with a little (OK a lot http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif) of assistance from . :cool:I have been working for him for a couple of months 2 days a week. I thought I'd be just cleaning and gophering. But I've actually been doing quite a bit of turning too.http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif So this is my first stool. Its not completely sanded yet. Just power sanded. Measures approximately 300 mm diam and 500 mm high. It took me more than two hours to do. does 'em in well under an hour.http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif I guess it won't be too long till I'm bored doing ANOTHER one. http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif:

Here is the next roughed down one. Using the C1 rougher is fun.:cool:

TTIT
4th February 2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah, very good :2tsup:, but where's the finished product???? :shrug:

Ed Reiss
5th February 2010, 12:13 AM
Neat !!!!

Gouge or skew??

Allen Neighbors
5th February 2010, 04:48 AM
:worthless: of the finished product.

BozInOz
5th February 2010, 05:52 AM
That's a decent sized piece of wood. I still get nervous seeing something that size spinning in a lathe. Looking forward to finished result.

tea lady
5th February 2010, 08:34 AM
:worthless: of the finished product.Next week if you are really good.:p Acshully, the person we make 'em for finishes them with danish oil. :cool:

tea lady
5th February 2010, 08:36 AM
That's a decent sized piece of wood. I still get nervous seeing something that size spinning in a lathe. Looking forward to finished result.:C : quakeinboots: But at least you know you are alive. No need for extreme sports.:cool::D

Ozkaban
5th February 2010, 12:43 PM
cool work, TL! It would be pretty fun working with for a bit :rolleyes:

Would love to see the finished product too :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
5th February 2010, 01:12 PM
WOW TL thats some movement a strain doing that I bet.

Lots of CA needed to fill those cracks. Looks very very dry

Pic's of you doing the turning would be better .............teach how to use the camera:;

munruben
5th February 2010, 07:34 PM
glad to see you are having some fun TL:2tsup:

Calm
5th February 2010, 08:18 PM
Let me get this right

YOU GET PAID TO PLAY ON A LATHE???:o:oo::oo:

Ozkaban
5th February 2010, 08:20 PM
Let me get this right

YOU GET PAID TO PLAY ON A LATHE???:o:oo::oo:

No no no. That's not it. It's more like

YOU GET PAID TO PLAY ON A LATHE WITH TEACHING YOU???:o:oo::oo:

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2010, 09:06 PM
No no no. That's not it. It's more like

YOU GET PAID TO PLAY ON A LATHE WITH TEACHING YOU???:o:oo::oo:

I could see an outbreak of jealousy here - no doubt bigger then the swine flu
wonder is there is an antidote

PS interesting stools TL

dai sensei
5th February 2010, 09:15 PM
Certainly sounds like fun :2tsup:

What was the timber, what tools, detail detail :U

Calm
5th February 2010, 09:28 PM

PS interesting stools TL

Not sure this is the correct forum to be discussing TL's stools - isnt anything sacred anymore.

Gutter journalism tsk tsk:D:D

Frank&Earnest
5th February 2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks Calm. Nice to know I am not the only evil b*****d here . Now you know why the English language always extracts the worst of me. :D

As for everybody else, are you

a) gentlemen

or

b) devoid of any sense of humour? :D

tea lady
5th February 2010, 11:03 PM
Certainly sounds like fun :2tsup:

What was the timber, what tools, detail detail :U

Tallow wood power pole. But may as well have been a Stobie pole. Roughed with the C1 rougher. Then a bowl gouge and traditional gouge. Skew to get in the corners. to get the ripples out. :doh::D Power sanded with 80#. Will be sanded to 400# next week. :cool: (My "shavings" were more like saw dust. gets wood chips off his. Might take me a while to get up to speed.:C )

Ed Reiss
5th February 2010, 11:23 PM
baby steps, TL ...baby steps :D

Allen Neighbors
6th February 2010, 10:40 AM
Keep after it, TL... with teaching, you can't lose... and it's good for the rest of us to get to see that there's somebody on this forum that's progressing!! :D

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2010, 12:41 PM
You're a bad man, Calm :p

Tallow power pole must be as hard as,
what's softer concrete or tallow?

Interest in a squiz at the finished piece of furniture, TL
(no comments from the peanut gallery)

Ozkaban
8th February 2010, 03:22 PM
Tallow power pole must be as hard as,
what's softer concrete or tallow?

I reckon with those splits in the wood, it must feel like turning concrete with rebar through it...

artme
8th February 2010, 04:48 PM
Bloody good TL!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Large enough to call in Mr. Hopoati! :D:D

tea lady
13th February 2010, 07:47 PM
Here are the finished stools. My two on top of all the ones did.:D Sanded to 400#. No finish yet. That is applied by the person they are turned for. :cool: I think they get DOed.

issatree
13th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Hi All,
If ever you need a Pole, you very nicely ask the local Electricity Supply Co.& more than likely you will most likely get one & usually at no cost & might even be delivered.
Of course you have to ask for the timber type you would like.
These days they have a few Treated Pine Poles, & most definatly leave them where they are, as they are the older type of treated pine.
I was Employed by The S.E.C, for 33 yrs. as a Linesman, & at times we would drop a Pole here & a Pole there.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">