PDA

View Full Version : Making a router table or fence?

GeoffS
3rd September 2004, 07:45 PM
Have a look at the largest of the GMC router tables. Sells for about $350 at Bunnings. Very clever use of a common aluminium extrusion for the fence. Appears to be an excellent fence providing easy adjustment of the 'gap' and providing T-slot for feather boards etc. Does not provide micro-adjustment (which is why I built mine) but not many commercial ones do. Should be possible to extend the idea for a few more applications.
As termite provided recently, extrusions can be found at www.8020.com.au
Cheers

smidsy
3rd September 2004, 10:54 PM
I looked at the GMC router table before deciding to build my own. I would have had to extend it to a decent size and build a base and it looked like it would be a sod getting my Makita router to fit.
$50 worth of timber, $90 for a plate and fence from Timbecon and the sucker is done.

How about some pics of the micro adjuster on your fence, this something I would like to add to mine.
Cheers
Paul

GeoffS
3rd September 2004, 11:25 PM
Smidsy - I wasn't suggesting the entire GMC router table was such a great thing - just the use of the extrusions for the fence.
My table is a copy of one that has appeared on this forum many times although my version started life in 'Fine Woodworking'.
Do a search and I'm sure you will find pictures of much better executed examples than mine.
The GMC fence has set me thinking about how to use some of those extrusions for fences and various jigs. There are some great possibilities.
Cheers