PDA

View Full Version : leady lathe for sale

hughie
6th February 2010, 11:02 PM
Woodturning Lathe - eBay, Turning, Woodcrafts, Crafts. (end time 15-Feb-10 17:22:21 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Woodturning-Lathe_W0QQitemZ330402022242QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Woodcrafts?hash=item4ced7ec362)

This is a good buy, looks like Bruce's demo lathe. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
7th February 2010, 10:20 AM
I've been told I don't need another lathe :doh:

nowhere to put it anyway

orraloon
7th February 2010, 10:31 AM
I would check the leady web page to see the cost of a new one first. When I got mine the chucks,faceplate rests and other pieces were part of the total package. It is a very good bit of gear however.

wheelinround
7th February 2010, 10:49 AM
Hughie TY did you overhear Sue's and my conversation this morning :D have ok to upgrade.:2tsup: His lathe suits size wise.

No price is on Bruce's site but the package deal is great http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html

Pat
7th February 2010, 11:00 AM
20minutes from work . . . . . . . . . . . . but I'm still broke, bugger!:;

jimbur
7th February 2010, 11:35 AM
Is that really a metre between centres?
Cheers,
Jim

wheelinround
7th February 2010, 01:53 PM
20minutes from work . . . . . . . . . . . . but I'm still broke, bugger!:;

Have a few replies Pat

1 So a phone all will see you pick it up for me :D

2 In need of a mini lathe Pat I could cut the Teckantool down to suit.:U

3 on a Sunday morning with no traffic and green lights all the way :q maybe

Ozkaban
7th February 2010, 03:27 PM
Nice looking lathe. Don't think I'll mention it to LOML though. One lathe purchase a month, thanks!

I do like how the leadys are designed. I don't think new price is astronomically higer than that though (somewhere around $1400-1500, I think...), but I don't know what is included.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
7th February 2010, 03:29 PM
Just remembered where I saw the price.

043Turning (http://043turning.com.au/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=33)

You need to log in to see the prices though.

Barebones lathe $1395 (http://043turning.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=529).

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
7th February 2010, 05:14 PM
The Leady's got a lot going for it IMO.

Needs a marketing effort.

A national and int'l agent.

Ozkaban
8th February 2010, 02:22 PM
Is that really a metre between centres?
Cheers,
Jim

The new ones come with 2 bed sections for a total of 1m between centres. I assume that's the same as this one.

I was interested in the leady, and may have bought this one if I didn't just buy the Vicmarc. They are very interesting - a cheap (in cost!) lathe with that construction and capacity...

I think a couple of the woodturning guilds around Sydney have them in service so it could be useful to see one in action before buying it.

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
8th February 2010, 02:45 PM
The Leady is the one that the Ornamental Turners Demo at the wood shows on using their Oval Turning device its a beaut solid built lathe. Having used/tried the Oval turning on it is one reason I am seriously looking as well as its size without the extension bed. It will allow me to do large turning in a confined area.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

One draw back is like Pat's upgrade fro 1x10 to 30x3.5 it will cost a further $$$$ for Chuck adaptors:(

Ern the best marketing would be for more sales instead of buying OS imported lathes wouldn't you think

jimbur
8th February 2010, 09:12 PM
thanks Dave. the description on ebay mentions "has the capacity" but doesn't mention the extra bed extensions. Probably me being picky.
Cheers
Jim

hughie
8th February 2010, 10:18 PM
the description on ebay mentions "has the capacity" but doesn't mention the extra bed extensions. Probably me being picky.
They all come with the extension when purchased new.This one strikes me as a good buy and I would take up the offer for the extra gear.

Needs a marketing effort.
A national and int'l agent.

Totally agree,but hes not into it.

colhu
8th February 2010, 11:07 PM
Hi all

The Hornsby WTG has a Leady which we use for all the demos. The extension bed hinges at the tailstock end and is held up by a pair of tubular legs that clamp in place. It has quite a small footprint - maybe 500 x 700 mm, with a single cast housing rather than legs, and with the extension bed as an outrigger.

The motor sits in the cast base with V belt drive up to the headstock - about 5 speeds I think.

It is good to use, smooth and quiet, although we have had a problem with alignment between the headstock and the tailstock - needs a few shims I think. Ours has had the drill-press style tailstock feed replaced with a conventional screw thread system.

cheers, Colin

Ozkaban
9th February 2010, 10:50 AM
Hi all

The Hornsby WTG has a Leady which we use for all the demos. The extension bed hinges at the tailstock end and is held up by a pair of tubular legs that clamp in place. It has quite a small footprint - maybe 500 x 700 mm, with a single cast housing rather than legs, and with the extension bed as an outrigger.

The motor sits in the cast base with V belt drive up to the headstock - about 5 speeds I think.

It is good to use, smooth and quiet, although we have had a problem with alignment between the headstock and the tailstock - needs a few shims I think. Ours has had the drill-press style tailstock feed replaced with a conventional screw thread system.

cheers, Colin

It does sound great, though the centres lining up issue bothered me a little as I like to do the occasional pen and that's the thing I didn't like about the MC1100. Nothing you couldn't overcome with something as solid and well made as the Leady though - it would be worth the effort.

Cheers,
Dave

GoGuppy
10th February 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi all
It is good to use, smooth and quiet, although we have had a problem with alignment between the headstock and the tailstock - needs a few shims I think. .

cheers, Colin

No problem what so ever with mine...it is spot on in alignment.

What could have happened is that the head stock may have been moved back or forward and then not re-checked the alignment. Easily fogotten, but not wise :doh:.

Been very happy with its performance to date. Plus Bruce gave 3 x 1hr lessons for free when I bought it a year ago.
Cheers

Ozkaban
11th February 2010, 09:20 AM
If the alignment is just a matter of the rotation of the head stock, there's a neat gizmo sold by Teknatool that is two morse tapers joined back to back. Stick one end in the head stock and the other in the tail stock, tighten them both up and you're good to go... Can't remember the name of it but Carrolls sells them I think.

cheers,
Dave

GoGuppy
11th February 2010, 09:22 AM
Dave, that sounds really neat. If you do a lot of outboard turning, it would be a useful gadget to have.
Cheers

Ozkaban
11th February 2010, 09:40 AM
It annoyed me not remembering what it was called, so I found it again...

It's called Acruline. (who thought of that name??)

Anyway, they're $27 at Carrolls (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/2mt-acruline-system) Obviously they don't help a lot for vertical alignment issues...

orraloon
11th February 2010, 10:08 AM
I line mine up with the cone center in the tailstock. Bring it up to the headstock and put the cone point in the headstock morse recess, then lock down headstock. Lines up spot on. The lathe thet had the alignment problem is a different lathe with a hinged bed if you want to do center work.
Regards
John