PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Idea?

thealfheim
4th September 2004, 01:23 AM
Hi All,

I'm a new member based in Sydney. Ive been woodturning on and off for a few years now.

Ive just recently had an idea, which in theory should work. My only concern is that it may be a little unsafe. I thought I should ask some people "in the know".....

Is it a dangerous/silly idea to use a router and a lathe together?

Ive seen pictures of this done before in woodturning magazines, but of course, they dont go into detail about how its done.

My thought was that I could make a jig which would act as a bed for the router, which would sit above a piece of timber which is spinning between centers. When the router is plunged, the cutting bit would make contact with the timber.

The end result I'm after is an accurate, gradual taper. I think I'm reasonable with the skew - but I'm far from precise! I'd like the piece of timber to come out very accurate - hence the thought of a mechanical design.

There's just something about taking to one power tool with another that sets of the safety alarm in the back of my head. Had I have not seen pictures of people using these tools together before, I would dismiss the idea rather quickly.

Has anyone had any experience with the two tools?
Am I right in being extra cautious with this idea? Or should I scrap it?

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
TheAlfheim

If anyone would like to see a picture of what I'm describing (in case I'm being too vague), let me know.

smidsy
4th September 2004, 01:57 AM
G'day, welcome to the madhouse.
I have heard of this being done although I have never actually seen it done - I am a relative newbie myself.
Sherwood (probably marketed under other brands as well) actually make a router lathe so it can be done.
Timbecon is a Perth shop but you might like to check it out at.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?prodid=27307&searchOffset=0

Cheers
Paul

Kev Y.
4th September 2004, 05:31 AM
thealfheim, welcome.. what you propose should not be too dificult to achieve, I remember seeing something similar before.

as for the safety alarm, as long as you are careful with what you are doing, wear the correct safety apparel etc, I dont think you will cause too much damage.

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Dean
4th September 2004, 10:46 AM
One of Norm's shows exhibited this very technique - using a router to make bowls spinning on the lathe. It seemed fairly safe, but you do have to keep the lathe speed right down... as slow as it goes.. You probably need a really slow speed lathe. I would think 500 would be too fast, although I guess it dpeends how much you are taking off with each pass etc.

adrian
4th September 2004, 11:02 AM
The August edition of the Australian Woodworker shows how a guy "turned" a 100kg hollow segmented world globe on a purpose built jig. It's not a lathe but the principle is the same.

echnidna
4th September 2004, 11:31 AM
Its not hard to turn a nice straight tapered leg using a roughing gouge.

thealfheim
4th September 2004, 02:23 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I guess the idea is a lot more do-able than I first thought. I'm using the Hafco WL-18 lathe. I was planning of having it at the slowest speed, with the wood pre-turned to very close to the outcome. And of course, only take small cuts with the router.

Adrian:
I actually saw that article yesterday! (maybe thats what got the creative juices going on this one?)

Echidna:
You're right, a table leg isnt too difficult. But I'm keen to try my hand at making a pool cue. I'd have to turn two shafts, both with the same taper, meeting in the middle with the same diameter.

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I'll be sure to let you know how I go (I'll have a go at this within a week).

Cheers,
TheAlfheim

RETIRED
5th September 2004, 09:23 PM
Gooday.

Flex away from the cutting bit is going to be your problem.

The cue will vibrate under the cutter, the cue will the "climb" up the back of the cutter and the end result is disaster.

It would take some making to make a reducing steady to support the work.

If you can use a skew AND support the work with your hand I would do it this way.

Leave the tapers for larger items that are self supporting when using a router to do them.

I am not saying it can't be done but I don't think the aggro is worth it. :D

thealfheim
6th September 2004, 11:47 PM
Gooday.

Flex away from the cutting bit is going to be your problem.

The cue will vibrate under the cutter, the cue will the "climb" up the back of the cutter and the end result is disaster.

It would take some making to make a reducing steady to support the work.

If you can use a skew AND support the work with your hand I would do it this way.

Leave the tapers for larger items that are self supporting when using a router to do them.

I am not saying it can't be done but I don't think the aggro is worth it. :D
G'day ,

You know, thats the one thing I didnt think of......

Ive had that exact problem you speak of when working with thin items and the skew. But the fact that I'm using a router on something so long and thin, it never really occured to me.

Although...... a skew is a stationary blade, which the wood rotates against (which is why it "climbs" the tool). But a router would rotate against the timber. Would it necessarily climb?
Interesting food for thought....

Flex is definately something I should consider.

I'll let you know how I get along with it....

Cheers,
TheAlfheim

thealfheim
8th September 2004, 09:43 PM
Hi All,

Well, Ive done it! Ive successfully combined the router and the lathe!

Surprisingly, flex was not an issue.

I still need to remake my jig (the current one is too high - I can cut deep enough), but it looks like this idea works quite well. Its also really fast, which is good too.

I'll be sure to let you know how the cue making goes once the new jig is up and running.

Thanks for the advice fellas!

Cheers,
TheAlfheim