PDA

View Full Version : bowl storage

Daddy3x
12th February 2010, 09:23 AM
Might some of you be willing to share pics of your storage areas for bowls? I am thinking of making some sort of hanging racks from the ceiling joists. Floor space is at a ultra premium for me. I have only twelve 15" bowls and can see I will be running into issues.

Thought I might "borrow" some of your great ideas since I find so many here.

Ozkaban
12th February 2010, 10:08 AM
never had that problem. The bowls that I have made now live elsewhere...

Do you mean roughed out green bowls that you're waiting to season so you can finish them?

Cheers,
Dave

Daddy3x
12th February 2010, 10:23 AM
Exactly. I'm talking the the long 3 month to a year type of storage solution for roughed out bowls coated with Anchorseal, in my basement shop out of direct heat source and drafts.

RETIRED
12th February 2010, 10:26 AM
String nets from the rafters and plonk them in there.

rsser
12th February 2010, 11:26 AM
Yep.

But do chk them for cracking regularly in the 1st few weeks.

Also with softwoods in warmer weather, bluestain is a real risk, and you want max air circ'n while avoiding too rapid drying that brings about cracks - still a risk despite end-grain sealing.

I have ltd floor space too and stack rough-outs on the floor like plates in a dish washer; on edge, leaning against each other, so I can easily do the checks. If cracks do develop, then they get a squirt of cheap CA. Then when they seem OK I stack them in piles on a shelf.

good luck with them

Daddy3x
12th February 2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks one and all. I just pulled 7 maples off due to cracking, several also had some mold growing under the Anchorseal. I suspect they may have been too wet or left too thick, I roughed them 3-4 hours after the tree was felled a few weeks ago. Have had better luck with oak, even better with walnut. We'll see what develops of overhead storage. Seeing some of your shops with loads of drying space leaves me envious. Encourages creativity :2tsup:

dai sensei
12th February 2010, 08:07 PM
I was thinking roof cavities or under the house, somewhere that has good ventilation.

String nets from the rafters and plonk them in there.

What a great idea :2tsup:

NeilS
13th February 2010, 04:17 PM
To begin with I leave the roughed out bowls stacked in the wet shavings on the floor. Gives me ready access to rotate them around and to see how they are going
Then after a week or so (depending on weather and wood type) transfer into boxes with a few shavings around them to get them from underfoot.
After a month or so if boxes are stacked too high or cluttering up the place, transfer loose bowls into mesh racks ( the stuff they put into cement slabs) suspended by chain from rafters.

Tim the Timber Turner
13th February 2010, 04:45 PM
I purchased come old wire racks that were used to display vegtables.

They stack on top of each other, up to rafter height.

Added some casters to enable them to be rolled together.

Maximum storage space on the minimum floor space.

Roll one out and have easy access to anything stored therein.

Sorry no pictures,

I've knocked off for the day.

Cheers

Tim:)

rsser
13th February 2010, 05:07 PM
Good idea Tim.