PDA

View Full Version : My first matching pair....... well almost

Grumpy John
12th February 2010, 12:13 PM
I finally finished a matching salt and pepper grinder set. Blackwood pepper mill and Holly salt grinder. The Holly split when I was fitting the grinder mechanism. Not a surprise as the Holly had a split in it, which I filled with ground coffee and araldite. I'm not giving up on it just yet, I'll mix up some more coffee/araldite and try to repair it.

Not exactly a perfect pair, but then I'm not perfect either :D.

129432 129433 129434

Template made from some kind of plastic I scored from a screen printer friend, reinforced with a couple of off cuts.

129435 129436

Ozkaban
12th February 2010, 12:41 PM
Very nice GJ. Coffee just adds character to it... they look great from where I sit.

Don't really understand the template but I'm having a brain-fade day today, so it could just be me :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

DJ’s Timber
12th February 2010, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, not bad :U

So template is for the top knob hey GJ?

Ozkaban
12th February 2010, 01:01 PM
So template is for the top knob hey GJ?

:doh: Thought it would just be me.

Rotate the template 180 degrees and that's the profile of the knob. Thanks DJ.

DJ’s Timber
12th February 2010, 01:07 PM
:doh: Thought it would just be me.

Rotate the template 180 degrees and that's the profile of the knob. Thanks DJ.

Nuh its not just you, GJ was to lazy to rotate them :q, plus I'm doped up, so I'm seeing things a bit differently :; Had My Gall Bladder taken out yesty

artme
12th February 2010, 02:18 PM
Despite the crack they look good GJ.

Looks like the Holly still has a lot of mvement left in it.

tea lady
12th February 2010, 03:01 PM
Nuh its not just you, GJ was to lazy to rotate them :q, plus I'm doped up, so I'm seeing things a bit differently :; Had My Gall Bladder taken out yestySo on the up and up from now on.:2tsup:

Very nice mills GJ!:cool: (I reckon the crack shoulda been filled with PEPPER and areldite.:D )

dai sensei
12th February 2010, 08:04 PM
Great job there GJ :2tsup:

How big is it?

The Holly split when I was fitting the grinder mechanism. Not a surprise as the Holly had a split in it, which I filled with ground coffee and araldite. I'm not giving up on it just yet, I'll mix up some more coffee/araldite and try to repair it.

Don't you hate that :- I found the best way is putting masking tape on either side of the joint and drizzle med CA, not thin it goes everywhere :(, then remove tape and hand sand & polish

Had My Gall Bladder taken out yesty

Hope all mends well there DJ, I know just how you feel :- Just remember, no heavy lifting for 6 weeks :no:, ie nothing over 4kgs :rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
12th February 2010, 08:22 PM
Great work
1 million times better then any of my salt and pepper grinders
wait a minute I haven't made any :doh:
Well I reckon if I made some they wouldn't look anything similar to each other as yours do

Hope all mends well there DJ, I know just how you feel :- Just remember, no heavy lifting for 6 weeks :no:, ie nothing over 4kgs :rolleyes:
Yeah hope it all went well DJ and you mend quickly and proper
nothing over 4kgs - so a beer is ok then :U

Grumpy John
12th February 2010, 09:38 PM
Very nice GJ. Coffee just adds character to it... they look great from where I sit.

Don't really understand the template but I'm having a brain-fade day today, so it could just be me :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Sorry Dave, was running laste for work and didn't have time for full explanation.

Nuh its not just you, GJ was to lazy to rotate them :q, plus I'm doped up, so I'm seeing things a bit differently :; Had My Gall Bladder taken out yesty

DJ, refer to excuse above, hope all is well health wise. I'm going under the knife on the 22nd., Carpal Tunnel snip.

Grumpy John
12th February 2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words people, I'll post photos of the repair job on the cracked holly when it's done.

tea lady
12th February 2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the kind words people, I'll post photos of the repair job on the cracked holly when it's done.:cool: Just as long as we don't get pics of the repair job on the wrists.:C:D

:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
12th February 2010, 11:47 PM
very nice John :2tsup: ...now a bunch more as chrissy presents for friends and family!