PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on cold weather clothing

Grumpy John
14th February 2010, 08:00 PM
My wife and I are going on a cruise from San Diego to Alaska in May this year and I was wondering if anyone has done a similar cruise and has some advice on suitable clothing to take along. I'm not looking for bulky or heavy clothing as it is too uncomfortable to wear and is a bugger to pack. I feel that layers is the way to go starting with good thermal undershirt and long-johns. I imagine that protection from the wind would also be an important factor.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

watson
14th February 2010, 09:53 PM
Just a thought......I wouldn't buy it here and transport it to there.
I'd get it there, and get rid of it there after the trip.

tea lady
14th February 2010, 09:58 PM
Hubby got some bargains at Katmandu when he went to Sweden in winter.(They are always having 50 % sales. Does anyone every pay the non sale price these days? :rolleyes:) He got a water proof coat with thermal layers and stuff and some water proof boots that were surprisingly light. Thermals under everything. Winter stuff isn't heavy any more. Its all high tech. .:cool:

ozhunter
14th February 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi Grumpy

I haven't done the cruise in question, but I did hunt in Alaska in 07 and I've been to the NZ Alps 3 times hunting. So I have a deal of experience with cold/wet clothing.

My advice:

1. Don't scrimp on wet weather gear if there is a chance of being exposed to rain/snow/spray. There have been a whole truck load of argument's over ww gear. As far as my experience goes, if it "breaths" it will eventually let water in, no matter how much you pay for it.. All ww gear creates condensation, venting and managing the condensation are the key. I have Helly Hanson rain gear. It is tough, still water proof after 14 days in the WET Alaskan bush.

2. As far as the rest is concerned, layering, layering, layering. A good quality next-to-skin layer is the base. I wear Icebreaker. Next an insulation layer (wool or fleece) to help trap the warm air pockets close to your body. Some say fleece, some say wool. Both have +'s and -'s. If the temp will be really cold, a fleece layer for added insulation, but that is for very cold stuff. Then a windproof layer to stop the warm air against your body from being chilled. There are plenty of wind proof garments on the market. Then the ww gear if needed. The ww can be used as the wind proof layer if the temp isn't too low.

3. Good quality wool socks, I wear Smart Wool and footwear that will keep your feet dry. Head protection is also a must. Something like 70% of body heat is lost through unprotected melons and cold feet. Also, if the temp is cooler, gloves that are waterproof and lined with some sort of wind proofing. I wear thin wool liner gloves under waterproof gloves, but you might need that level of protection.

Try to choose second and third layers that have good long zips so you can vent when needed.

All the above mentioned can be got in nice thin materials nowadays. I can wear 4 layers, be warm in oh-god-it's-cold temps but still be able to move and not feel like the Michelan (sp) man. Wool is heavier than man made fabrics when wet, but will still keep you warm. Man made fabrics are lots lighter when wet, but WILL NOT keep you sufficiently warm when wet.

If it was me, and you have the time, I would purchase as much of your gear as possible before you go. That way, you know what fits, what works and what doesn't. If you leave it till you get to your kick off point, the shops might be shut, they might not have your size, time may be short.

Lastly NO COTTON, COTTON KILLS

Sorry for the long winded post

joe greiner
15th February 2010, 12:32 AM
I was on TDY in Anchorage for most of 1985. Shipboard might be different.

Definitely, NO COTTON. Cotton is for the tropics.

Polypropylene and wool wick moisture away from the body.

+1 for layers. You can adjust for conditions.

Lightweight wind breaker on the outside. You can buy these on ship ($$$), or at Goodwill stores in San Diego ($). They're also handy in the shop, to shed wood chips.

A hat, preferably PP or wool. The saying among mountaineers is "If your feet are cold, put on a hat." Inflatable "Bunny boots" are probably best, but Caribou are good too.

Spare socks. Lots of socks. Wool or PP. Change frequently.

Gloves: Knitted gloves first (all fingers), mittens outside. Remove the mittens for photo opportunities.

Sunscreen and sun glasses. Snow is bright, and you can get sunburnt.

Night time is short in May and June. Ships and hotels should have opaque curtains, but night shades can be convenient when needed.

Bon voyage.

Cheers,
Joe

Grumpy John
15th February 2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm off to the Wilderness (http://www.wildernessshop.com.au/Clothing.pdf) shop to get some clobber. Noel, I know what you mean about buying what you need when you get to the States and selling it before you leave. However we don't have a lot of time to go shopping before the ship leaves and I don't want to get caught without suitable clothing.

RufflyRustic
15th February 2010, 12:31 PM
Why do you say "cotton kills" for extreme cold weather ??:?

thanks
Wendy

K_S
15th February 2010, 01:25 PM
My wife and I are going on a cruise from San Diego to Alaska in May this year and I was wondering if anyone has done a similar cruise and has some advice on suitable clothing to take along. I'm not looking for bulky or heavy clothing as it is too uncomfortable to wear and is a bugger to pack. I feel that layers is the way to go starting with good thermal undershirt and long-johns. I imagine that protection from the wind would also be an important factor.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Gday GJ

I've wandered through a few cold places - Himalayas @ zero, the Andes near zero, Alaska and Siberia.
My preference is to buy before I go so I know what I've got. All I would recommend is clothing for a normal mix of warm/cool/wet/dry, good wind protection (nothing bulky) and a couple of thermal skivvies.

I took thermal everything the first time and boiled on first wear.
For cold climates I pack normal plus thermal skivvies, thermal gloves, maybe a thermal beenie for blizzards. If you feel the cold buy the whole kit.
BTW: If you put cold fingers in thermal gloves they take longer to warm up - the esky effect.
Monthly Climate Summaries (http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/AKCityClimo/AK_Climate_Sum.html)

Good luck

Grumpy John
15th February 2010, 02:59 PM
Once again, thanks for the info. Here's the cruise (http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000ES3Pr40h8E0O8SKTywnpzzw:12hdebcnj?packageCode=ML14A014&sailDate=1100430&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results) we're going on (bet you're all jealous). Looks like the temps once we hit Alaska will be in the 5 - 15 deg. C mark, no worse than Melbourne in winter :rolleyes:. Personally I don't feel the cold very much, but SWMBO rugs up when the temp drops below 17C. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the quoted temps allow for wind chill factor, 10 Deg. is not that cold, but if there's a -15C wind blowing that's another story.

Fuzzie
15th February 2010, 03:43 PM
I think being onboard ship you will just want normal clothes and a warm coat to go outside. You don't want warm winter woolies on inside and it depends on how long you stay outside as to how long the cold will take to seep in. Keeping the wind out is the top priority, starting with a windproof (polar)fleece vest is good, then add thermals top and bottom if you're staying out a long time. A pair of cheap waterproof pants also provides a good windbreak over fleece track pants.

As to gloves, find a pair of silk glove liners, they are the best thing when it's cold out and there is a freezing wind. You can take off the warm gloves/mittens and operate fiddly things like your camera comfortably wearing the silk gloves.

As for socks, if you are out and about with heavy socks and boots, use a pair of wicking liner socks as the base layer.

rsser
15th February 2010, 04:12 PM
Lucky bustard.

W/ness shop folk really know their stuff. I've bought lots from them for extreme env'ts and never had dud advice.

Tho it's exxy, a versatile top layer wld be in Windstopper (from Gore) or equiv. Comes in varying weights acc to the insulation you need; also breathable, windproof and water repellent.

Otherwise, a shell out of Event (much more breathable than Gore-tex) and layer up with a quality fleece and base layer. Fleece from Maldon Mills in the US is well worth the premium; lasts forever & is comfy in a wide range of temps. Lowe & Mont are good brands.

Edit: like oz-hunter, I like Icebreaker; its main virtue over quality polyester base or mid layers is that it takes days b4 it starts to stink. Have done 5 hard days straight back-country skiing in NZ b4 the whiffy factor kicks in. Downsides: much more exxy and takes more care in washing.

HTH

rsser
15th February 2010, 04:16 PM

thanks
Wendy

With active pursuits in cold weather Wendy, cotton absorbs yr sweat. Then when you stop it dries and gives you the 'benefit' of evaporative cooling.

Folk have got hypothermia that way.

RETIRED
15th February 2010, 04:21 PM

thanks
WendyCotton provides no warmth when wet and virtually no "wind break"

RufflyRustic
15th February 2010, 06:20 PM
thanks Rssr and .

Considering that over half my clothes are cotton, I'd better do some shopping if I ever travel to climates colder than Melbourne :wink::)

Cheers
Wendy

And yes GJohn, I am a tad green :D:2tsup:

ozhunter
15th February 2010, 08:03 PM
Also, when cotton gets wet in cold climates, it doesn't dry readily (ever tried to dry a cotton T-Shirt on the line in winter) and as someone said it has virtually no thermal properties and no wind stopping ability when dry, but make it wet in a cold climate and it will stay wet and doesn't wick the moisture away from the skin and gets very cold, very quick.

As rsser said, IB is great for not smelling. I only have two sets when I go hunting in cold places. They lasted without being smelly for 14 days in Alaska. Prior to departure, I tested the theory by wearing one of the tops to work during the day, taking it off at night to dry, wearing the other one to bed and all the next day and then swapping. At the end of 30 days there was no appreciative smell. I'm a farmer and winter is a busy time, so it's not like I was sitting on my acre during the day.

You don't want warm winter woollies on inside

Fuzzie. This is why you layer. You can be quite comfortable in a IB thermal and a light jumper or shirt inside, then when you go out you just add the appropriate layers.

Grumpy. As I said, I've never been on the cruise in question, but I would have thought the cruise operator would give you some information on clothing. If they haven't, I'd ask them. Alaska is not a place to be taken lightly. Even if you are on a ship.

Grumpy John
15th February 2010, 08:21 PM
Grumpy. As I said, I've never been on the cruise in question, but I would have thought the cruise operator would give you some information on clothing. If they haven't, I'd ask them. Alaska is not a place to be taken lightly. Even if you are on a ship.

OH, I haven't contacted the cruise operator yet but I've been doing a little research and the temperature on land during May looks to range between 4 and 14 deg. C. I haven't been able to ascertain what sort of wind chill factor to allow for, also temps at sea could differ greatly from those on land. I imagine I could lounge around inboard in a light shirt and jeans and view the scenery through a porthole the size of a fifty cent piece, but what would be the point in doing that. as I said in an earlier post, I'm off to The Wilderness Shop this week, Ern recommended them and said they give honest and impartial advice.

ozhunter
15th February 2010, 08:27 PM
OH, I haven't contacted the cruise operator yet but I've been doing a little research and the temperature on land during May looks to range between 4 and 14 deg. C. I haven't been able to ascertain what sort of wind chill factor to allow for, also temps at sea could differ greatly from those on land. I imagine I could lounge around inboard in a light shirt and jeans and view the scenery through a porthole the size of a fifty cent piece, but what would be the point in doing that. as I said in an earlier post, I'm off to The Wilderness Shop this week, Ern recommended them and said they give honest and impartial advice.

Best of luck Grumpy. We want some pics when you return.

I would say some good bug repellant might be in order to. They have some wicked flying critters that can and will get into every orifice and annoy the heck out of you. The mozzies carry there own drilling rig and crew:D

RETIRED
15th February 2010, 09:18 PM
thanks Rssr and .

Considering that over half my clothes are cotton, I'd better do some shopping if I ever travel to climates colder than Melbourne :wink::)

Cheers
Wendy

And yes GJohn, I am a tad green :D:2tsup:Have you been talking to Julie? Any excuse will do.:rolleyes:

Calm
15th February 2010, 10:05 PM
Just read the heading John - being from Ballarat sorry but i cant help with this subject :D:D

Cheers

joe greiner
15th February 2010, 10:08 PM
+1 +1 on the bug juice. The mosquito is the unofficial state bird of Alaska. No-see-ums (gnats) are second place.

Cheers,
Joe

ian
15th February 2010, 10:29 PM
OH, I haven't contacted the cruise operator yet but I've been doing a little research and the temperature on land during May looks to range between 4 and 14 deg. C. I haven't been able to ascertain what sort of wind chill factor to allow for, also temps at sea could differ greatly from those on land. I imagine I could lounge around inboard in a light shirt and jeans and view the scenery through a porthole the size of a fifty cent piece, but what would be the point in doing that. as I said in an earlier post, I'm off to The Wilderness Shop this week, Ern recommended them and said they give honest and impartial advice.Grumpy
you need to know what excursions you will be going on or if you will spend all your time on the boat.

I've been to the area your going to in both March and June.
March is cold (like sub-zero), but on a boat (in my case the Inside Passage on the Alaskan State ferry) it was shirtsleeves and socks – bare feet would have been just too much bad taste. Only when you went outside did you need the warm / windproof gear -- plus you had to watch out for ice on the deck. You wont have the latter hazard and wont find the weather any colder than a Melbourne winter, probably a lot warmer -- don't forget in May at those latitudes you'll have arround 20 hours of daylight.

Best advice I can give you is, if you're really concerned about being cold, get a good thermal short sleeved t-shirt and a pair of long johns -- though, if it were me I'd just take a fleece jumper and wool trousers. (I spent last month in Switzerland and all I needed at -18° on Gornergrat was a pair of polyester thermals under cotton trousers, on top I had two polester singlets under a ski jacket.)

If you're going off the boat in one of the fiords check with the cruise operator if waterproofs are supplied -- usually they are.
If not, give the outdoor gear places a miss and shop for your waterproofs at a boating store. You should be able to get waterproof jacket good enough for walking around in for under $150 — remember the stuff sold in outdoor shops is designed for people who are active in the remote outdoors (think bushwalking or cross crountry skiing) when it's wet and/or cold and the nearest dry place is two or three days travel away. You'll rarely be more than 100m from your cabin.
I've a jacket something like this $120 one Whitworths Marine: Burke Super Dry Jacket - L (http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=172&item=19248&intAbsolutePage=2) which, when worn over a shirt and light jumper, is plenty good enough for pottering arround in when the weather's foul at Perisher in July. It's all a matter of sealing the neck opening and wearing a hat.

ian
15th February 2010, 10:37 PM
Here's the cruise (http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000ES3Pr40h8E0O8SKTywnpzzw:12hdebcnj?packageCode=ML14A014&sailDate=1100430&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results) we're going on (bet you're all jealous). lucky sod, I know what you're doing on the 13th and 14th of May, there's a Lee Valley store in both Victoria and Vancouver.

you should start selling space in your bags now.

Grumpy John
16th February 2010, 06:57 AM
This is the reply I received from the cruise operator:

"Thank you for your email.

We recommend that you be prepared when packing clothing for your vacation. Plan on comfortable, casual clothing that can be shed or put back on in layers as the temperature fluctuates. Recommended basics are short or long sleeved shirts, medium-weight pants, sweaters, and a light-weight water repellant jacket. Always were comfortable walking shoes or waterproof boots. An umbrella is an asset, even though it may be cumbersome to pack.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Constance Wood
Customer Service Representative"

Their response doesn't seem to indicate extreme weather conditions. I was worried that I'd have to buy exxy down filled jackets that would never get worn again. As you good people have advised layers and a good water/windproof jacket are the way to go. I will be investing in a good pair of comfy waterproof boots a beanie and gloves/mittens.

John Saxton
1st March 2010, 05:04 PM
Once again, thanks for the info. Here's the cruise (http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000ES3Pr40h8E0O8SKTywnpzzw:12hdebcnj?packageCode=ML14A014&sailDate=1100430&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results) we're going on (bet you're all jealous). Looks like the temps once we hit Alaska will be in the 5 - 15 deg. C mark, no worse than Melbourne in winter :rolleyes:. Personally I don't feel the cold very much, but SWMBO rugs up when the temp drops below 17C. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the quoted temps allow for wind chill factor, 10 Deg. is not that cold, but if there's a -15C wind blowing that's another story.

Can't help with the clothing John, I'm watching this thread with interest as we're planning a similar trip next year but do intend to going on further and into Denali NP.

In the meantime we're planning on light cotton wear as we're booked to do the world cruise this year on the Dawn Princess Princess Cruises : Round the World Cruise - Roundtrip Sydney 104 Days : Details & Availability (http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=D010&tourCode=&date=&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=&airCity=&air=)

SWMBO reckons on having a winter away is as good as it gets.

Best of luck and happy travels.Hope your trip is adventurous and fulfilling as I do with ours.

We got quite a bit of handy currency last year for another trip that unfortunately had to be cancelled but I am planning on taking travellers cheques as well for use on the ship as I don't have a credit card.

Cheers:)

Grumpy John
1st March 2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts John, I hope your cruise is a great adventure for you and the missus.

Here's the link (http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000ES3Pr40h8E0O8SKTywnpzzw:12hdebcnj?packageCode=ML14A014&sailDate=1100430&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results) to the cruise we're going on.

John Saxton
1st March 2010, 07:24 PM
John, A suggestion as you're stopping off in Seattle with the cruise ship perhaps the Sierra Trading Post which carries thermal wear etc may be of some help.
Seattle Sports up to 48% off at Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Seattle-Sports.html)

We're going to investigate them when we arrive there so we dont have to carry extra on the flight over,and will ship excess home on completion.

HTH

ian
2nd March 2010, 09:36 AM
John, A suggestion as you're stopping off in Seattle with the cruise ship perhaps the Sierra Trading Post which carries thermal wear etc may be of some help.
Seattle Sports up to 48% off at Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Seattle-Sports.html)

We're going to investigate them when we arrive there so we dont have to carry extra on the flight over,and will ship excess home on completion.

Cheers:)John S and G John.
You haven't said who you're flying with, but typically, on flights to and from the US and Canada, the free baggage allowance is two pieces per passenger with a soft limit of 23kg per piece and an absolute limit of about 32kg -- from memory it's actually 75lbs.
In my experience, these limits often translate to an allowance of 3 or 4 items per person (e.g. suitcase, skiis, ski boots) to a maximum weight of arround 60–65kg per person. I've only ever had to ship stuff home from Europe, once you get to a departure point for the US it all just goes in a bag.

John Saxton
2nd March 2010, 06:46 PM
John S and G John.
You haven't said who you're flying with, but typically, on flights to and from the US and Canada, the free baggage allowance is two pieces per passenger with a soft limit of 23kg per piece and an absolute limit of about 32kg -- from memory it's actually 75lbs.
In my experience, these limits often translate to an allowance of 3 or 4 items per person (e.g. suitcase, skiis, ski boots) to a maximum weight of arround 60–65kg per person. I've only ever had to ship stuff home from Europe, once you get to a departure point for the US it all just goes in a bag.

Thanks Ian,have'nt flown to the States for quite some time expect we'll check the carriers for allowances before bookings are considered especially in my case.

Grumpy John
3rd March 2010, 08:28 AM
Ian, we're flying Virgin and they have a 1 piece 7Kg carry on limit and 2 pieces of baggage totalling no more than 32Kg.

ian
3rd March 2010, 09:03 AM
we're flying Virgin and they have a 1 piece 7Kg carry on limit and 2 pieces of baggage totalling no more than 32Kg.John,
That's 78kg in total ! (for the two of you)
not a challenge. by my reckoning, you should be able to bring back up to 40kg of goodies from the Lee Valley store in Vancouver. (the actual amount will depend on what clothes / souveniers you buy)

Clothes for the trip should weigh no more than 18 to 20kg each (including the weight of the bag) -- you will wear any heavy shoes and carry any heavy coat or jumper.
(my personal example — ski wear and town clothes for a month in Europe for two adults and a 10 y.o. kid weighs arround 56kg and that includes the bags, one pair of adult ski boots (~4kg) and one pair of oversnow boots AND the heavy coats were packed into the bags.)