PDA

View Full Version : Jepson MC1100 Wood Lathe Switch

Silly Sandra
15th February 2010, 03:16 PM
:)Hello All, I hope you can help. I have a grizzly operating his old wood lathe - a Jepson - which he would like to update but the $$$ won't allow at this time. He is having a problem where the power switch keeps shutting off and although I have on occassion (rare, mind you) held it in, he would like to get it fixed! Not that I blame him at all. So my question is - does anyone know where I/he might get a switch? I don't know who has Jepson lathes at all so any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks to all:p

China
15th February 2010, 11:17 PM
A picture may help, I think you wiil find a generic machine switch to fit with out too much trouble,try somewhere like carba tec if you are not famillia with electrics get a sparky to fit it

thefixer
16th February 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi Silly Sandra

I did a google search for the Jepson lathe and the only on I found was on Ebay. According to the pic provided it appears to have one of those pesky "magnetic switches" These switches work ok for a little while but then they begin to falter. I had one on my first lathe and one on my drill press. Same symptoms as you seem to be having, they switch of at the slightest vibration. I have replaced both switches with standard toggle switches. Hope this helps.

colhu
16th February 2010, 07:15 PM
Hi Silly Sandra

I had a similar problem with the magnetic switch on my Hare & Forbes WL18 (a MC900 clone). I took the switch apart and found that sawdust had been getting onto it from the back, and had built up to the point where the layer of sawdust was stopping the contacts from closing properly. With the dust blown out of it and the switch fitted back into its housing, it worked perfectly.

Have a look at this eBay listing for the type of lathe and switch - I couldn't work out how to copy and paste the image here.

HAFCO wood turning lathe chuck and chisels - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Woodworking, Industrial. (end time 17-Feb-10 20:05:33 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HAFCO-wood-turning-lathe-chuck-and-chisels_W0QQitemZ190371338024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item2c53041728)

If the Jepson uses that type of switch, it would be worth trying this before you arrange to have the switch replaced.

cheers, Colin

Silly Sandra
16th February 2010, 09:58 PM
Hi again - thanks for responding. Will get him to blow out the switch to see if that helps and if not, look at a generic type of one. He is pretty handy so hopefully he will be able to fix it.

Thanks again - you are all very helpful.:)

RETIRED
16th February 2010, 10:31 PM
Hi again - thanks for responding. Will get him to blow out the switch to see if that helps and if not, look at a generic type of one. He is pretty handy so hopefully he will be able to fix it.

Thanks again - you are all very helpful.:)Make sure the machine is unplugged.:D

cultana
16th February 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Silly Sandra

I had a similar problem with the magnetic switch on my Hare & Forbes WL18 (a MC900 clone). I took the switch apart and found that sawdust had been getting onto it from the back, and had built up to the point where the layer of sawdust was stopping the contacts from closing properly. With the dust blown out of it and the switch fitted back into its housing, it worked perfectly.

Have a look at this eBay listing for the type of lathe and switch - I couldn't work out how to copy and paste the image here.

HAFCO wood turning lathe chuck and chisels - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Woodworking, Industrial. (end time 17-Feb-10 20:05:33 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HAFCO-wood-turning-lathe-chuck-and-chisels_W0QQitemZ190371338024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item2c53041728)

If the Jepson uses that type of switch, it would be worth trying this before you arrange to have the switch replaced.

cheers, Colin

Thanks for this bit of intel.
Same switch as on my Ledacraft MC1100. So if it goes funny sounds like that may be the problem. (Assumes I have not shot it first:~).

Paulphot
17th February 2010, 09:12 AM
My MC900 has just started doing this as well, might be time to replace the switch with something a bit more reliable. I'll try the cleanout first though.

DJ’s Timber
17th February 2010, 09:18 AM
I found that a normal architrave light switch fitted nicely on my old MC-1100 lathe :;

govarney
17th February 2010, 08:39 PM
My original lathe was a Jepson and I too had the problem.

I removed the switch and took it to my local machine shop and they had a "real" switch that I replaced myself (is that legal :? :no:).

It was a bit of a tight fit but has worked well since.

Its also a lot safer as the new switch remained off on loss of power which the original Jepson did not.

colhu
17th February 2010, 11:10 PM
Sounds like its a common problem with the MC series lathes. I only had to do it once in about 7 years, so can't complain too much.

I had a similar problem with my H&F dusty, altho it was not the same sort of magnetic switch, but a conventional mechanical switch, BUT it is mounted horizontally on top of the motor so dust settled on it all the time and obviously built up inside it until one day it wouldn't turn on.

Same treatment - took the cover off, blew or vacuumed it out. This time I put it back with the switch inside a freezer bag to keep the dust off it - a bit odd looking but it works fine.

cheers, Colin

Marty99
19th December 2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Sandra
i Have a jepson myself and the same thing happened i have replaced the switch with a doublepole single phase switch readily available at your local Middy's or Leckky's store it was and easy ift and has not given me ant trouble since
Regards Marty99