PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 lifts on double hung window

Theremin
6th September 2004, 09:47 AM
All of the other windows in our Queenslander are casements, but we are putting a set of double hung windows in the kitchen because it opens onto a servery (and bi-folds were too expensive) - see attached. My question is whether I should put 1 or 2 lifts (the J-shaped fittings you use to lift the window) on each window? What do most other double hung windows have? Or is there no standard way of doing it?

Barry_White
6th September 2004, 10:03 AM
Theremin

I would put them on both sashes as at times you may want to open the top of the windows to let a bit of hot air out in the summer.

GeoffS
6th September 2004, 05:03 PM
Theramin - I think you meant how many on EACH sash? The answer is always 2 on the bottom sash. After painting or during wet weather you may need both hands to lift the sash. If the windows go very low (below hip height) you may not put any on as most people will lift the bottom sash by lifting the meeting rail.
On the top sash I have found it is convenient to put lifts (up side down) on the top rail as it does make it easier to pull the sash down. Otherwise you can only start the sash down with your fingers pushing the meeting rail down - not easy. However these will have to be removed when painting as they stop the sashes passing.
Hope that helps
Cheers

barnsey
6th September 2004, 05:16 PM
Theremin

GeoffS hit it on the head - Two handles - 1 at either end of the sash is normally the way to go. I've never seen handles put on the top sash because as he points out you can not open the window fully. Also as long as your counter balances are working properly you souldnt nedd a lot of force to get them going in any direction.
These windows going to be subjected to a lot of weather? If so make sure you keep the maintenance up.

Jamie

GeoffS
6th September 2004, 06:12 PM
Barnsey - Fine if you have balance weights but the those wretched spiral balance things are not so great, particularly when they get a bit old and worn. Also if the top sash sticks shut (paint, wet weather etc.) there is really nothing to push it down with, apart from your finger tips or a stick pushing on the meeting rail.
I have found lifts on the top sash very convenient and they don't stop you fully opening the window, they just stop the sashes passing which they need to do when you are painting.
Steel double hung sashes actually do come with them in the extrusion. I have also seen finger grips cut into the top rail of the top sash.
Cheers

Theremin
6th September 2004, 06:15 PM
Geoff & barnsey - Thanks, that's what I meant (how many lifts on each sash) and I agree 2 on each bottom sash is the way to go. The windows are part way through being finished with Integrain Dimension 4 and DWD, but I'll use an enamel where the windows contact. They are easy to move at the moment but I imagine over time with some dust or lack of use (during winter) they might get stiff. I think one lifter on the top sash is probably a good idea as well and I'll just take it off when re-painting. They open out onto a covered deck so will not get much weather.