PDA

View Full Version : alignment query

cultana
23rd February 2010, 12:55 AM
I have had a few problems with my new, 2 1/2 months old live centre, ie side to side flex so I replaced the roller bearing. That removed the side slack but on checking alignment with the drive centre it is roughly 1 mm off to one side. Now I did take the live centre out and rotate it 180 degrees and recheck and it is still out by 1mm in the same location, and yes I did rotate it by the shaft not just the live head. Thus the bearing I put in is square on the shaft and that can be ruled out for the reason for the misalignment.

I may just be heavily pedantic.
In essence for long pieces this may have little bearing, but short pieces it could be significant.

Oh how I just enjoy all this:(

Manuka Jock
23rd February 2010, 07:54 AM
I have had a few problems with my new, 2 1/2 months old live centre, ie side to side flex so I replaced the roller bearing. That removed the side slack but on checking alignment with the drive centre it is roughly 1 mm off to one side. Now I did take the live centre out and rotate it 180 degrees and recheck and it is still out by 1mm in the same location, and yes I did rotate it by the shaft not just the live head. Thus the bearing I put in is square on the shaft and that can be ruled out for the reason for the misalignment.

I may just be heavily pedantic.
In essence for long pieces this may have little bearing, but short pieces it could be significant.

Oh how I just enjoy all this:(

Buy another live center .

hughie
23rd February 2010, 08:14 AM
It pretty well looks like you have a dud centre, take it back and argue your case. If you have a the same taper in your head stock. Put it in there and rotate to check how much run out there is.

DJ’s Timber
23rd February 2010, 08:25 AM
From memory, you said you had one of the generic MC series Lathe, is that correct?

If so, you need to manipulate the headstock to line it up with the tailstock.

An easy way of doing this is to buy a gadget from CWS, which is basiclly a short bit of steel with a Morse taper on both ends. I cannot find it on Jim's site so maybe send a PM or email. from memory it was about $20-$25.

cultana
23rd February 2010, 08:33 AM
I intend to get a new live centre anyway just incase.
BUT
After hughie's comment about swapping them and checking, Groan..
It is still out by the same amount and direction...
I did rotate the actual drive shaft to check so I did not disturb the centre itself.

I will get new centres and recheck but its killing the addiction ..

hughie
23rd February 2010, 08:48 AM
Having owned a MC lathe I realize that it will never be perfect due to poor machining etc.
Theres a few thread available to you on some easy mods to improve your lathe.

TTIT
23rd February 2010, 08:59 AM
I doubt that there's anything wrong with the live-centre other than the bearings tend to twist sideways occasionally in the MC900 offerings. Sounds more like headstock or tailstock alignment. If you've got a Jacobs chuck on a morse taper, put a long rod in it and try it in both stocks to see which one is not pointing straight at the other :shrug:

cultana
23rd February 2010, 10:39 AM
From memory, you said you had one of the generic MC series Lathe, is that correct?

It is one of them nice MC types that you can see on any B2B chinese page :D.

If so, you need to manipulate the headstock to line it up with the tailstock.

Thanks I did a quick check and the slack in the headstock mountings to the bed let it get off line easily..:~
A bit of manipulation would get it aligned easily.

An easy way of doing this is to buy a gadget from CWS, which is basiclly a short bit of steel with a Morse taper on both ends. I cannot find it on Jim's site so maybe send a PM or email. from memory it was about $20-$25.

By CWS I gather you mean Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies?
If so I will chase this little gadget up as looking at the problem it means each time I move the headstock it has to be realigned.

cultana
23rd February 2010, 10:45 AM
I doubt that there's anything wrong with the live-centre other than the bearings tend to twist sideways occasionally in the MC900 offerings. Sounds more like headstock or tailstock alignment. If you've got a Jacobs chuck on a morse taper, put a long rod in it and try it in both stocks to see which one is not pointing straight at the other :shrug:

The live centre did have a problem and that has been fixed with a new bearing. The old one became loose in the actual head and so it started to have a bit of sideways flex. Nothing actually wrong with the bearing itself just how it sat in the head of the centre. The main reason to get a new one. This expensive ($20):D one just is not worth the hassles.

Manuka Jock
23rd February 2010, 11:22 AM
I have three live centers , from lightweight to heavy duty .
They all get a workout , depending on the job at hand

cultana
23rd February 2010, 11:32 AM

Update:

I gave them a quick ring and apparently they can not get them anymore.

I will look at getting something similar made local. Should not be too difficult. (Famous last words there).

Ozkaban
23rd February 2010, 11:35 AM
The name of the gizmo is the "Acruline" and it is just two MT2's back to back and takes about 5 seconds to line up headstock and tailstock. I have seen them in action and they're great for swivel headstock lathes.

If you google this, you may find another supplier. Importing directly from NZ isn't much of a hassle, is this is required.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
23rd February 2010, 11:37 AM
Found it on carrols website under Lathes » Teknatool Lathes » Nova Ornamental Lathe Accessories

Acruline (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/2mt-acruline-system)

cultana
23rd February 2010, 11:58 AM
Found it on carrols website under Lathes » Teknatool Lathes » Nova Ornamental Lathe Accessories

Acruline (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/2mt-acruline-system)

That's who I rang up as I could not see it on their web, (not looking in the right place). Asked for the price and the guy had a look and then said they can not get them anymore. He also checked with Jim on options to this.

Manuka Jock
23rd February 2010, 12:01 PM
I notice that Teknatool don't list Acrulines on their general accessories page either .

I wonder what has them thinking that only ornamental turners need them ?

Ozkaban
23rd February 2010, 12:03 PM
That's who I rang up as I could not see it on their web, (not looking in the right place). Asked for the price and the guy had a look and then said they can not get them anymore. He also checked with Jim on options to this.

The joys of the internet and out of date content...

I notice that Teknatool don't list Acrulines on their general accessories page either .

I wonder what has them thinking that only ornamental turners need them ?

Dunno. They're listed in the catalogue PDF that you can download from the Teknatool website though.

RETIRED
23rd February 2010, 12:10 PM
As I have stated numerous times before: The best improvement you can make to any lathe is to get a decent drive spur (steb centre) and a good live centre. Woodfast.

A little expensive but it saves so much grief.

It won't fix a misalignment problem but it sure makes turning enjoyable.

cultana
23rd February 2010, 12:14 PM
Well Carba-Tec does not list them either and they are a Teknatool retailer.

No big drama its a problem with at least a solution one way or the other.

Tim the Timber Turner
23rd February 2010, 01:47 PM
I found the Carba-Tec version of the steb centre to be made of better quality steel than the original Steb centres, the teeth last longer. Cheaper too.

I still use my original Woodfast live centre I purchased 28 years ago. It is fitted with 3 bearings and is still in perfect condition. Wouldn't mind a cent for every revolution it's done.

Dahm it, :CI just realised I'm agreeing with again. Much more interesting when we disagree.

Cheers Tim:)

Gil Jones
23rd February 2010, 02:58 PM
I have no idea where you can get this tool in Australia, but this is what it looks like, and Packard Woodworks has them.
Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Morse Taper Alignment Tool (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool)

RETIRED
23rd February 2010, 03:01 PM
I found the Carba-Tec version of the steb centre to be made of better quality steel than the original Steb centres, the teeth last longer. Cheaper too.

I still use my original Woodfast live centre I purchased 28 years ago. It is fitted with 3 bearings and is still in perfect condition. Wouldn't mind a cent for every revolution it's done. About the same age as mine and the same sentiments.

Dahm it, :CI just realised I'm agreeing with again. Much more interesting when we disagree.

Cheers Tim:)Sad, isn't it?:D

Tim the Timber Turner
23rd February 2010, 04:29 PM
Sad, isn't it?:D

Must be the ageing process .:rolleyes: