PDA

View Full Version : Turned my hand to tablelamps.

derekcohen
23rd February 2010, 02:21 AM
I don't really belong in the Turning Forum, as I am really a novice with anything beyond tool handles.

This tablelamp (and its twin - I made two identical) is a rather simple design, but it took a long time to conceptualise. I never ceases to amaze me that the simple designs are the hardest.

My inspiration came from pictures of ships decanters. I love the flowing lines of some of the modern versions, and I could see a lamp in there somewhere.

I only have a little Jet mini. That and the wood I used - a salvaged (very, very dry) Karri (harder than Jarrah, interlocked, and stringy) roof beam - made this really strenuous work.

The Karri is nearly identical in looks to Jarrah - many find it impossible to tell apart. It is reddish-brown .. and Lynndy said she did not want any more Jarrah! So I added a black stain, finished it in oil and wax. The result is very dark, but the grain shows through. The pictures here were taken this evening, hand held camera and no flash, so they could be better.

I'd be interested in comments about the balance of height to width. Lynndy and I chose the shade(s) together, and she gave the pair her nod of approval, so I guess that is one more set of items to tick off the list.

Here they are - as I said, there are two, on identical tables, against identical sofas, set opposite to one another.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Turnings/Tablelamps/Tablelamp1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Turnings/Tablelamps/Tablelamp2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Evan Pavlidis
23rd February 2010, 02:49 AM
They look good on those small tables, not too plain and not too elegant. Nice form, clean and simple. Well done :2tsup: :2tsup:

If this is the first time you've ever turned then welcome to woodturning; it's a good addiction.

Cheers, Evan :)

artme
23rd February 2010, 08:36 AM
Very nicely done Derek!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I really like the simplicity of the design.

Ad de Crom
23rd February 2010, 09:04 AM
Wow, very pretty !!
Shows very well in the livingroom.
Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
23rd February 2010, 01:45 PM
can't find any fault with what you've done...they look great :2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd February 2010, 06:27 PM
Derek very nice indeed :2tsup: its amazing what you can produce on the Jet Mini :U

Nice to see you also have matching coffee pots in the background of the photo's :;

Ozkaban
23rd February 2010, 07:07 PM
I quite like them Derek. Well done :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
23rd February 2010, 09:04 PM
Nice simple elegant lines

Something else to be proud of Derek

orificiam
23rd February 2010, 09:51 PM
Nice Looking Lamps Derek, You did well,:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

dai sensei
23rd February 2010, 10:20 PM
Beautiful Derek :2tsup:

Often simple is best. Lovely form :cool:

joe greiner
24th February 2010, 12:24 AM
Excellent. Proportions, finish, and everything else.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

rsser
24th February 2010, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the 'spinside' Derek ;-}

Pops
24th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Well done Derek. I do prefer the more simple style of lamp base and I like the single curve you have.

Proportions of the turned piece look great as well as the shade.

I find the other thing to consider with lampshades beside couches is the actual height and placement that ensures when you sit on the couch one cannot see the globe. That is, you don't want have the bright light in the corner of your eye when trying to talk to someone. I think you have this covered by the look. :)

Cheers
Pops

hughie
24th February 2010, 10:13 PM
Turned quite a few in my Dads workshop when I was a little tacker, mainly out of drift wood.
I like them simple flowing lines and yet they have elegance. :2tsup:

ozmandus
25th February 2010, 04:17 AM
Derek,
That's a good looking lamp... I see a lot of turned lamps that come out clunky and cumbersome... that one has a really simple elegance about it. Good job.:2tsup: