PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood & Gaboon Ebony

Ed Reiss
1st March 2010, 08:01 AM
<o></o>
Finally got around to finishing the blackwood piece that David (Calm) kindly sent me a long, long time ago (to say that I'm pretty slow getting things done these days would be an understatement).
<o></o>
Hollow form, the final dimensions wound up to be 203mm x 76mm. Multi-coats of Waterlox tung oil for the finish.
<o></o>
I used gaboon ebony for the lid/finial combination (each was turned separately). The finial was turned then carved so that it wound up to be 5 separate bines, topped off with a 1mm spire.
<o></o>
I was pleasantly surprised to see a fair amount of "quilt" like bands in the wood where the branches entered the main...really gives it a neat look.

Please excuse the pathetic photography...that's something that is still a WIP !!!

C & C welcome.

steck
1st March 2010, 08:27 AM
Wow! I love it! You have done a terrific job. Every thing seems to have come together in nice proportions.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Can I ask how thick the walls are? Add how long did it take to turn?

dai sensei
1st March 2010, 08:44 AM
Hmm, love the finial, love the main body shape, love the timbers, love the figure, love the finish. What can I say apart from blo_dy fantastic :2tsup::cool:

I'm sure there is a lot of work in that finial, I'll love to see a WIP. Didn't take any progress shots by any chance?

TTIT
1st March 2010, 08:57 AM
Very nice Ed :2tsup: Job well done :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
1st March 2010, 09:01 AM
Stunning piece of timber, which you have done justice, well done!

CV3
1st March 2010, 09:03 AM
That is very nice. I love the depth in the finish too. Great job!

artme
1st March 2010, 09:03 AM
Maaaaaate! That is beyond gorgeous!!!:brava:brava:brava:brava:brava

Everything about your pieces is totally admirable.

jefferson
1st March 2010, 09:10 AM
Ed, an education as always, well done! :2tsup: Now wait till we send you some Tassie blackwood.....:wink:

Ozkaban
1st March 2010, 11:14 AM
holy heck that's amazing! I can't believe that finial is holding up it's own weight :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
1st March 2010, 01:18 PM
Beautiful work Ed. Second and third photos are pretty good. A single hot spot is ok, as it shows that the piece has a glossy finish, but suggest you move the light to one side to move the hot spot off center. Maybe not crop quite so close?

Gawd I envy people who can carve.

NeilS
1st March 2010, 01:33 PM
:2tsup:...., Ed.

rsser
1st March 2010, 05:32 PM
Terrific Ed. Great work.

Onya Calm for the donation. A beeyewtiful lump of wood there.

corbs
1st March 2010, 07:30 PM
W:oW... love everything about that piece:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
1st March 2010, 08:08 PM
Wow Ed, really a very stunning piece of work.
And what a beauty of a finial, top class work !!
Ad :2tsup:

Tony Morton
1st March 2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Ed

Exqusit :2tsup:

Cheers Tony

Ed Reiss
2nd March 2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks all for your kind comments...very much appreciated.

Steck...the wall thickness is +/- 6mm and I started working on the blank about 6 months ago, roughed it then let it sit until last week for the final turning. Total time for blank, lid and finial came to about 8 hours.

Neil...I'll do a finial WIP soon.

Jeff...will be looking forward to the tassie blackwood.

Dave...ebony is some pretty tough stuff, and besides,
once the interior of the finial is carved away there is hardly any weight to it.

Richard...thanks for the photo tips, will give those a shot.

Allen Neighbors
3rd March 2010, 03:47 PM
Makes me sick!
(sick that I can't do anything near this for beauty and finesse)
Absolute beauty! Ed. Can't wait to see the finial carving WIP .

Calm
3rd March 2010, 07:09 PM
Ed i have held off answering this thread cos i couldn't think of something to say that compliments the finished item.

That piece of Blackwood looked nothing like that when i sent it to you. Your ability and the level you set for the rest of us to aim for is incredible.

Another great job - Now some Questions -. have you had Blackwood before - how did it compare to other woods you have used - did you find it tears out very easily - do you want some more?

Cheers

Gil Jones
4th March 2010, 03:33 PM
Hey, Ed,
That is a true work of art!!
Gil

Sawdust Maker
4th March 2010, 08:28 PM
:wts:

Wow, what an extremely nice piece of work
nice blank and very nice treatment

Poppa
4th March 2010, 10:08 PM
Just um, errr, wow. I mean, just wow. Wow. Um, err, WOW! That's just beautiful. Wow...

Ed Reiss
5th March 2010, 04:06 AM
Thanks again guys for the comments. Looking forward to seeing your work(s) :2tsup:

Another great job - Now some Questions -. have you had Blackwood before - how did it compare to other woods you have used - did you find it tears out very easily - do you want some more?

Cheers

Thanks David...without your contribution of the gorgeous blackwood blank, it never would have been done!

I found that it roughly compares to Black Walnut, maybe just a bit softer, and there was some tearout evident because of the wild grain, but nothing major. A bit of sheer scraping cleaned it up nicely.

As for wanting some more...if your offerin', I'm buyin' :U

Musungu 2 u
11th April 2010, 03:44 AM
Beautiful work.
There is a listing on ebay for a piece of ebony log complete with sap wood 200mm x 100mm x 100m.

Natural Gabon Ebony "Diospyrus Crassiflora"

might be of interest to someone here.

Cheers

hughie
11th April 2010, 10:37 AM
Ed, some how I missed this one :?

Putting all that aside, a very good piece with very good shape and form, you have steady hands for an 'old bloke' :U Great work on the finial.

:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
11th April 2010, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the turning forum M2u, and thanks for the comment.

Be sure to check out the "Critique Pictures" section in Woodturning...a lot of good work there by the talented guys and gals on this forum.:2tsup:

Hughie...who's an "old bloke" ?? Oh, wait, that would be me...SWMBO reminds me 'bout the old part a lot :doh::D:D:D