PDA

View Full Version : Chuck mount for Nova Live Centre System owners

rsser
6th March 2010, 12:37 PM
Neat idea: click (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Tailstock_Chuck_Adaptor.htm)

Only threads are 1.25 x 8 and 33 x 3.5 unfortunately.

Be interesting to see whether the MT2 stub will be enough to hold a chuck. They would've tested it thoroughly, wouldn't they??

Will see if Jim Carroll can supply one and report back.

tea lady
6th March 2010, 01:34 PM
:think: Kinda interesting, for excessively accurate type people. :D Maybe KenW has one already.:rolleyes::D

It says, "Fits all 2MT tailstocks – only for use when the lathe is not powered." What does that mean?

Big Shed
6th March 2010, 01:47 PM
:think: Kinda interesting, for excessively accurate type people. :D Maybe KenW has one already.:rolleyes::D

It says, "Fits all 2MT tailstocks – only for use when the lathe is not powered." What does that mean?

Only for use on treadle lathes:rolleyes::D

Tim the Timber Turner
6th March 2010, 04:08 PM
Vermec make both the live version and the one without the bearing.

These were used 30 years ago when using the paper chucking method for reversing bowls.

This was before 4 jaw scroll chucks were invented.

Before my time of course.

Cheers

Tim:)

rsser
6th March 2010, 04:18 PM
The expression on the T/tool website (and manuals) leaves a bit to be desired. The qualification refers to not running the lathe while this kit/bowl is installed.

The point of this is to take a bowl held by the foot in a chuck, after hollowing, and mount it on the tailstock in order to correctly centre it against a friction drive as Tim mentions, or on a vacuum chuck.

Yes, there are a range of other devices that do the same thing. This one might be a cheap way in for LCS owners.

TTIT
6th March 2010, 11:56 PM
The Vermec rig comes in M30x3.5 Ern, with or without the bearing as Tim said. I got the one with the bearing so I can actually have the lathe running while I bring a piece up to the vacuum chuck - works sweet :U

rsser
7th March 2010, 06:33 AM
Nice.

This unit just has the stub of a MT to fit the live centre socket. Not sure how far I'd trust it but will see.

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2010, 10:56 AM
Vermec make one (as commented earlier)
here's (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/livecentre.pdf) the link - (down the bottom of the page) appears to be very well made

Tim the Timber Turner
7th March 2010, 01:00 PM
The pricing is a bit odd.:?

I would have thought that to machine for, then supply and fit bearings would cost a heap more.

$77 for either version??:????

Cheers

Tim:)

rsser
7th March 2010, 01:20 PM
Hmm .... the Nova job will have to be cheeeep to compete.

Food for thought; thanks for the link Nick.

Manuka Jock
9th March 2010, 04:34 PM
I have been trying to find a metal turner/engineer who can make a live adapter with hefty bearings , so that a second chuck can be mounted on the tailstock , for turning quarter round table/chair legs , big inside-out stuff etc .

The Teknatool one just won't cut it for the big stuff it seems

rsser
9th March 2010, 05:25 PM
prob not MJ.

AUD 77 (?) + shipping too exxy for the Vermec job?

Manuka Jock
9th March 2010, 09:10 PM
At the moment it is Ern .
The medics told me at the end of last year that my knee is permanently stuffed by degenerative arthritis .
No more I'll waltz round the building sites .
I gotta retrain .......
So , till then , I'm on the govt. drip feed .

The Vernec one , does it take Teknatool's adaptors ?

RETIRED
10th March 2010, 03:23 AM
The medics told me at the end of last year that my knee is permanently stuffed by degenerative arthritis .
I gotta retrain .......

The Vernec one , does it take Teknatool's adaptors ?Yep, they are made in all sizes I believe.

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2010, 08:16 AM
I gotta retrain .......

Yep mine has the same thread as the DVR - order whichever thread you need

do you need to move the knee whilst at the lathe

Jim Carroll
10th March 2010, 08:31 AM

The Vermec ones are dedicated threads so if you wand an M30 that is what you get or 1" x10tpi etc. Very handy for getting correct alignment on your chuck before you take it of the face plate.

The nova one is only available in USA and is only 1-1/4x8 or M33

rsser
10th March 2010, 08:59 AM
thanks jim.

Sorry to hear of your knee prob MJ. Is a knee replacement possible?

Pat
10th March 2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Nick, could you please bring the vermec version to the Sydney get together, whenever that is?

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Hey Nick, could you please bring the vermec version to the Sydney get together, whenever that is?

Spose
I'd probably better get me name engraved it it :roll::D:rolleyes::cool::?:U:;:~:o
Just remind me just prior to the event so I can remember to throw it in the bag :2tsup:

Does anyone want a piccy with the SN2 on the end of it
I could take one on the weekend and post if it's wanted, That might give people an idea of the size etc

Pat
11th March 2010, 05:20 AM
Does anyone want a piccy with the SN2 on the end of it. I could take one on the weekend and post if it's wanted, That might give people an idea of the size etc

Yes please!

(BTW Trust me:;)

Sawdust Maker
11th March 2010, 09:58 PM
OK shall take a piccy or two on Saturday

Manuka Jock
12th March 2010, 05:12 AM
Yep mine has the same thread as the DVR - order whichever thread you need

do you need to move the knee whilst at the lathe

The knee is ok for turning , and chainsaw milling , its the climbing and kneeling in the building industry that takes a toll. Full working days , 5-6 days a week don't help either .

Manuka Jock
12th March 2010, 05:15 AM
thanks jim.

Sorry to hear of your knee prob MJ. Is a knee replacement possible?

Apparently its' not bad enough for that yet ........

Sawdust Maker
14th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Here's the animal with the SN2 attached

boysie39
16th March 2010, 11:08 PM
Hello all, not sure what is the benifit of thiswould be,if it cant be used with power and its for lining up the workpiece surly this could be done the normal way with the tailstock.This is the first I've heard of these and as tomorrow is the 17th the ould head might not be in the best working order,as you all know practise if important and training.
I see vecmarc being mentioned is tis a spin off of vicmarc??.
Been missing for some time had a hip job done and took it easy for a while.A lot of catching up to do. Rgds.Boysie

Manuka Jock
17th March 2010, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE=boysie39;1127184]
Boysie ,
the idea is to get one that has bearings , such as the Nova live center , for double ended chuck turning .
For lining up a piece when reversing it at the chuck , these are as accurate as your chuck mounting is .
They are a top piece of kit either way. Can't wait to get one myself .
cheers ,
Jock

TTIT
17th March 2010, 09:49 AM
............I see vecmarc being mentioned is tis a spin off of vicmarc??...............A genuine nice bloke, Enzo runs Vermec and his brother (who is probably a nice bloke too that I haven't met yet) runs Vicmarc. Both are precision engineers making turning tools in Queensland - where all good things come from :U:U:U

rsser
17th March 2010, 04:00 PM
LOL.

Nice mangos anyway ;-}

Yeah, Victor of Vicmarc is also an approachable guy. You can actually ring the factory with a tech query and may end up speaking to him.

He reamed out the shaft holder of the VM hollowing tool support to full depth for 3/4 shafts for me, at no charge.

wheelinround
17th March 2010, 09:08 PM
With Nova's accuracy of late on adaptors and chuck runout maybe its a good thing :p

Ozkaban
18th March 2010, 11:39 AM
Another goodie to add to the growing list... I have bought a couple of things from Vermec and they have all been pretty solid and well machined. Love the idea of the live adapter. $77 + post is a fair bit, but no worse than lots of other woodturning goodies :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
18th March 2010, 12:25 PM
Guess I'm just too dumb or too far away or both to understand what this adapter does. I use a tailstock adapter, bought a few years ago for $20+, that has a steel MT2 pressed into an aluminum 1-1/4-8 threaded chunk, for alignment only. Workpiece with chuck onto adapter, into tailstock, aligned with the spindle for vacuum chuck or doughnut chuck. Remove extra stuff and finish turning bottom of the workpiece. Not for use on the spindle because the steel/aluminum press fit will not handle much torque. Strictly for alignment and very handy.

Did not mean to write all that. What does this new piece do for $77??

TTIT
18th March 2010, 12:46 PM
............ Not for use on the spindle because the steel/aluminum press fit will not handle much torque. Strictly for alignment and very handy.

Did not mean to write all that. What does this new piece do for $77??Still mainly for alignment and this one can handle the torque :U. It's other uses are up to your imagination really :think:. I've used it for holding split turnings in the chuck where a normal live centre or cone would have separated the pieces. You could also use one to hold large pieces while you part a section off instead of stopping and doing the last bit with a handsaw. One of those things I suppose - If you stick to the accepted basic forms and practices such as bowls, boxes and furniture legs, you'll never need one :shrug: - but if you push the boundaries a little, it's amazing how handy it is to be able to mount anything that normally attaches to the headstock onto the tailstock instead :;

Texian
18th March 2010, 01:12 PM
Vern, You're saying that the new piece attaches to the live tailstock center? Could be handy at times. I think Oneway makes a tailstock live chuck adapter thingy too. Would be nice but too pricey for me.

TTIT
18th March 2010, 01:28 PM
Vern, You're saying that the new piece attaches to the live tailstock center? Could be handy at times. I think Oneway makes a tailstock live chuck adapter thingy too. Would be nice but too pricey for me.Almost - it's the whole thing - Morse taper with a threaded section attached either fixed or on bearings :2tsup:

Texian
18th March 2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks Vern.

Sawdust Maker
18th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Another goodie to add to the growing list... I have bought a couple of things from Vermec and they have all been pretty solid and well machined. Love the idea of the live adapter. $77 + post is a fair bit, but no worse than lots of other woodturning goodies :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

I was lucky
it somehow appeared on my fathers day wishlist :rolleyes: and ended up amongst the pressies :D
I got the idea from somebody's post during the boxmaking challenge and thought what a great idea.

rsser
21st March 2010, 05:30 PM
Good score Nick. Can I borrow your kids for next Father's Day? ;-}

FWIW, I just think of these as a centring device when reverse chucking.

There are alternatives. Just leave a dimple in the centre of the foot to bring your live (or dead) tailstock centre into. A regular rim bowl will go onto a vacuum chuck faceplate; an irregular rim bowl will go around a friction drive or vac chuck that fits inside the form.

Power sand that dimple out later, with bowl in one hand and drill in the other.