PDA

View Full Version : glue down floor- how to soundproof?

Mybrains
10th September 2004, 03:02 AM
Quick question.

If I fit a floating engineered floor to our kitchen, I can lay soundproofing underneath to stop the body corp (unit) going crazy as the unit is above another.

Im looking into real wood T&G glued down to concrete. How do you soundproof in this situation ?
pete

bitingmidge
10th September 2004, 07:26 AM
Do a search for Ragapol -just one brand of sound insulation.

Generally floor sound insulation is reconstituted rubber, or a thick polymer compound and performance seems to vary remarkably depending on the installation.

Expect to pay $20 - $75 per square metre for the material for something that works (more money usually means thicker and more insulating quality) and for the product to be at least 8mm, up to 19mm thick.

Most are designed for tiles to be layed on top, and are sold with compatible adhesives.

I don't think that T&G is a good choice to direct stick over insuation, although you could put an underlay ply down first. You would be better to go for a floating floor, which has been designed for a bit of movement.

If you are quiet people, don't clatter round the kitchen in hard soled shoes and don't drop things on a regular basis, you will probably get a way with standard "click-floor" underlay. You've probably got a tiled floor now anyway?

Most hard surface noise transmission of the annoying variety, comes from hard shoes, dropping things, or scraping chairs and furniture across the surface. The first and last of these are easy to control!

Cheers,

P

Mybrains
12th September 2004, 12:59 AM
thanks heaps midge,

yeah Regupol seems to be a popular underlay with floating floors. Im also reading that there might be certain adheseves that are also designed to also provide the sound deadening underlay in a stick down on concrete slab situation. You see I am looking at the alternative to fitting a floating engineered floor in a top floor unit with a strict strata. (dont wan the hollow sound of floating). Also the missus is particular about floor height thus ply or other typical methods to build it up are out.
If I can find a 'thick soundproof' stickdown adheseve, im set (pun intended). I can use a t&G direct and keep height down as i can find some thinner solid overlay products of 8 & 11mm.
pete

Mybrains
12th September 2004, 01:34 AM
I just found two products. Ardex soundproof underlay (you pour it on concrete and it sets hard) and Ardex ISOFlex adhesive. The soundproofing gives 55-60IIC and I believe this is quiet enough for a unit.
Even the adhesive mentions a special tool that creates a sound deadening layer.

Has anybody layed strip/overlay floor to concrete with these products?
pete

vsquizz
12th September 2004, 02:31 AM
Here's one of the manufacturer's blurb on the flooring if it helps

http://www.hyne.com.au/downloads/pdf/fixing%20guides/flooringfg.pdf

and you could try this mob for soundproofing

http://www.spec-net.com.au/company/pyrotek.htm

and I think this mob do one that I used in my old donger in Cairns

http://www.soundguard.com.au/htdocs/silentstep.htm

Cheers

bitingmidge
12th September 2004, 07:34 AM
Remember that even 10 or 12 mm will give a noticable difference to kitchen bench work height.

If you are people who have difficulty reaching the top shelf, that may be an a advantage, but being challenged in the other direction, I would be tempted to pack the bench height or put a new top over the old to bring it up to a usable height after the event.

Cheers,

P

Mybrains
12th September 2004, 10:24 PM
Thats a good point. the bench height.
Im my travels today I found 2 more solutions to noise. Boral sell some sort of underply that can be glued down. ALso I saw at domaine a new product. Its a foam underlay that has slots in it. The idea is that the wood adhesive is applied in these slots. They supply the underlay & glue together as a set. The only real bonus is that the height of underlay & glue is only ~5mm.

Now that the sound issue is sorted, im looking at overlay boards in the 8-13mm range pre coated. 8mm sounds ideal with a 5mm sound/adhesive underlay.

maglite
12th September 2004, 10:59 PM
It might be a good idea to check your strata documents( I am assuming you are living in a strata).
My brother was going to do the same thing at his apartment in Perth and it was pointed out by the body corp that he would be in breach of the strata if he did so.
Shame really as blackbutt floors would have looked pretty cool i reckon.
Cheers
Steve

Mybrains
19th September 2004, 03:56 AM
hi steve. great point. thanks.
I was told a floating floor is considered a floor 'covering' and is not controlled by the strata. This is different to a stick down floor that IS covered by the strata. Im checking into it, but if they block me on the stick down, Ill just fit a floating one with good soundproofing and say to them tuff titties!
PS can u get black butt in floating? he may still be able to get what he wants...
pete

MF3106
19th September 2004, 09:10 AM
We had fitted a floating floor (14mm thick - not laminate) some months ago all that was used was the standard underlay - I can't say that we get any "hollow" sounds or feel from the floor. Admittedly we have a timber sub floor which could make a difference, and we also had the floor checked for level before the floor was laid.