PDA

View Full Version : Very dangerous woodturning environment

brendan stemp
10th March 2010, 09:18 AM
Notice anything odd about what this guy is wearing?

YouTube - Coring a bowl with the Kel McNaughton coring tool

HazzaB
10th March 2010, 10:54 AM
Hey Brendan,

He has all the correct PPE Turners smock, Face shield, Powered respirator, Ear Muffs (Not used but there) and the Hand gun (Thats when you use the Ear Muffs)

I like his style :2tsup:

HazzaB

rsser
10th March 2010, 11:07 AM
No mongrel is gunna steal his masterpiece!

Or is it for exterminating worms in the wood? Or distressing the finish?

RETIRED
10th March 2010, 11:42 AM
Ain't nobody but nobody takin ma Oneway, No sirree.

Texian
10th March 2010, 12:19 PM
Interesting that Bill almost stalled his Robust lathe a couple times.

watson
10th March 2010, 12:23 PM
I reckon he's found the ultimate solution to the problems detailed in this thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/spiders-shed-113279/

brendan stemp
10th March 2010, 01:25 PM
Adds new meaning to the term Protective Equipment for Woodturners! Does anybody know this guy? Are we missing something? Or is the gun there to intimidate the wood so it doesn't jump off the lathe?

Ed Reiss
10th March 2010, 01:30 PM
...it's used to fend off his adoring fans :roll:

artme
10th March 2010, 01:48 PM
adds new meaning to the term protective equipment for woodturners! Does anybody know this guy? Are we missing something? Or is the gun there to intimidate the wood so it doesn't jump off the lathe?

:d:d:d

patrick m stein
10th March 2010, 02:12 PM
bill is a very nice guy our club had him demo one night . he finished late so he stayed in my home that night .bill lives in a state (pa) where it is legal to carry a weapon so he does.as you can see bill is a big guy no need for side arm its just his rite.if you meet him you would see what a good fellow he is .

patrick

Texian
10th March 2010, 03:18 PM
To add to what Patrick said, Bill Grumbine is a nationally known and respected turner in the U.S.. He is in great demand as a teacher and demonstrator, and has done a couple of widely acclaimed DVD's on bowl turning.

BTW it is legal in Texas (having passed a training course and gotten a license) to carry a concealed sidearm (except in certain establishments, including my house). I have enough trouble keeping my pants up with just two sets of keys and a small pocket knife. Would have to wear suspenders if I wanted to carry any more hardware.

tea lady
10th March 2010, 04:41 PM
:D Sure I can tell you my turning secrets....... but then? .......... I must kill you.:rolleyes:

Sorry! I just couldn't let the truth wreck a good story.:D Apologies to Bill G! :U

rsser
10th March 2010, 05:25 PM
Woah! That was Bill G?? He's lost some weight.

Google on his name; his website has a useful piece on blocking down a log for turning blanks, as posted recently.

Sam
10th March 2010, 07:28 PM
I smell a new fad amongst the forum members, forget fancy workbenches, shooting boards and table saws.......armed woodworking !!!!!!! It only takes one of us to post a pic of our shiny new toy and we're away.

My 'hugs and kisses' will really complain about the noise when I let rip with one of those bad boys at 9pm !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2010, 09:22 PM
forget the gun
that is one speccy lathe worth droolin over

but then he did slow it down a little

Fuzzie
10th March 2010, 09:31 PM
I guess a Burka would probably be useful attire for turning too.:spyme:

Some things just don't translate.

Groggy
10th March 2010, 09:34 PM
So that is what a 'gun' turner looks like.

cultana
10th March 2010, 10:03 PM
Funny with all that [protective gear, smock, Face shield, Powered respirator, Ear Muffs and the Hand gun, he seems to be wearing track shoes. :oo:

tea lady
10th March 2010, 10:24 PM
I smell a new fad amongst the forum members, forget fancy workbenches, shooting boards and table saws.......
:DShooting boards! :doh: Of course. that's what he's doing. :rolleyes::D And he prefers dead centers rather than live ones.:cool:

robo hippy
11th March 2010, 05:52 AM
Well, Bill did post about having a mouse problem and his shop cat was getting too fat to chase them.

I did ask Bill once about stalling his Robust (I have the same model, 3 hp motor) and he commented that he could even stall a VB36. I wonder if Mike Mahoney can stall his 5 hp lathe??????

robo hippy

Support your right to arm bears!

artme
11th March 2010, 08:48 AM
I will never understand the mentality of "I have the right, so therefore I will"

I have the right to consume alcohol in my home. Wouldn't do it while turning ....

Grumpy John
11th March 2010, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't argue the right to bear arms with someone who does. :no:

artme
11th March 2010, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't argue the right to bear arms with someone who does. :no:

And therein lies much of the problem!

It gets to the stage where "I need to bear arms to protect myself from others who bear arms."

Ian Smith
11th March 2010, 10:46 AM
How many of you blokes have seen this article - so bloody sad and sooooo preventable
Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan, 3, shoots herself after thinking handgun was Wii control | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/world/cheyenne-alexis-mckeehan-3-shoots-herself-after-thinking-hangun-was-wii-control/story-e6frfkyi-1225839111230)

woodwork wally
11th March 2010, 07:51 PM
guns on their own aint a problem - as for cars-- It's the nut behind the bolt or the crank behind the wheel ie both deadly in the wrong hands I dont wear my firearms when turning and I dont turn when I'm target shooting and I do neither when driving. Its a matter of things in the right place and minimizing risk to O where possible This guy has an extra risk in his turning which can be removed at no cost Cheers www

brendan stemp
11th March 2010, 09:27 PM
This thread was not created to be a soap box for the gun lobby or anti gun lobby. I am growing weary of threads being hijacked and taken elsewhere. I am interested in your opinions on woodturning not guns that's why I am on a woodturning forum.

watson
11th March 2010, 09:32 PM
:whs:

Lets keep it to turning.

Regards,
Noel
Administrator

Big Shed
11th March 2010, 09:34 PM
This thread was not created to be a soap box for the gun lobby or anti gun lobby. I am growing weary of threads being hijacked and taken elsewhere. I am interested in your opinions on woodturning not guns that's why I am on a woodturning forum.

Hear, hear!!

Thought for a minute I'd had accidentally wandered over to IAP:doh:

Soap boxes in the Woodturning forum, whatever next.

Ian Smith
11th March 2010, 09:46 PM

Oh, I am sorry, but weren't you the bloke who pointed out the offending item in his original post. :rolleyes:

Looks to me like the turners have done the hijacking :D

Acco
11th March 2010, 09:50 PM

Well I'm a bit perplexed here :?, if you didn't want a discussion or soap box on guns etc, why did you bring it up originally. You did post the video asking if anything was odd about what he was wearing, then in post 7 you specifically questioned the gun, so obviously you created the thread to discuss guns :shrug:

brendan stemp
11th March 2010, 09:57 PM
The video was posted because I was wondering why someone wear a gun while woodturning. There is a big difference between that and a discussion on the right to bare arms.

tea lady
11th March 2010, 10:06 PM
The video was posted because I was wondering why someone wear a gun while woodturning. There is a big difference between that and a discussion on the right to bare arms.Yeah! But someone who new the guy said that he wore the gun cos he believed in the right to bare arms, not cos he needed to protect himself from wild bears.:rolleyes:

I can't speak for most Australians, but I, and all of my friends who are mostly Australians, can't understand why someone would want to wear his gun all the time, let alone while turning, just because he believes he has a right to.

hughie
11th March 2010, 11:05 PM
I can't speak for most Australians, but I, and all of my friends who are mostly Australians, can't understand why someone would want to wear his gun all the time, let alone while turning, just because he believes he has a right to.
[/QUOTE]

some folk just like guns, as they might like anything.I have a cat that watches me turn.The cat likes its and I don't mind the company either. To some folk this is kinda strange, but I don't give a rats. :U

Ellemcbeast
12th March 2010, 12:34 AM
Hey Guys and Girls,

While you were watching the gun, Bill turned out a pretty neat bowl.
I have not seen that before and learned something new.
Thanks, Bill

rsser
12th March 2010, 06:48 AM
I am interested in your opinions on woodturning not guns that's why I am on a woodturning forum.

Well Brendan, cuing the thread with your starting comment didn't perhaps help folks to focus on turning:
Notice anything odd about what this guy is wearing?

Calm
12th March 2010, 07:42 AM
I also notice

- he has made a tenon/recess to hold the inner blank when removed. This will allow him to hold the blank and make another tenon on the back to cut a second smaller bowl.

- he is working from the outside in (assuming he is removing more than one) as opposed to the inside out method - the difference is he needs to remount the blank every-time whereas working from the inside out you never remove the method of holding the blank until you have finished. But you do need to hold the bowls in Cole jaws or similar or glue a waste block on the remount for finishing.

I prefer his method - i leave a faceplate ring on the centre - remove one from outside then remount on faceplate ring - make new tenon on back - remove next biggest etc. The other way (inside out) you don't need to remove and setup "bowlsaver" after each bowl. (unless you have 2 lathes - using one to make tenon for next cut)

Cheers

bluegum30
12th March 2010, 09:23 AM
i always thought we had a right to bare arms ,since when have we had to wear long sleeves.:D:D:D

Grumpy John
12th March 2010, 09:43 AM
I also notice

- he has made a tenon/recess to hold the inner blank when removed. This will allow him to hold the blank and make another tenon on the back to cut a second smaller bowl.

- he is working from the outside in (assuming he is removing more than one) as opposed to the inside out method - the difference is he needs to remount the blank every-time whereas working from the inside out you never remove the method of holding the blank until you have finished. But you do need to hold the bowls in Cole jaws or similar or glue a waste block on the remount for finishing.

I prefer his method - i leave a faceplate ring on the centre - remove one from outside then remount on faceplate ring - make new tenon on back - remove next biggest etc. The other way (inside out) you don't need to remove and setup "bowlsaver" after each bowl. (unless you have 2 lathes - using one to make tenon for next cut)

Cheers

Thread hijack :p:D.
Off topic :p:D

brendan stemp
12th March 2010, 09:56 AM
Very good Bluegum.:U

Ern, I may have, in some people's minds, been cueing a discussion on the right to bare arms but that certainly was not my intention. Discussions along that line can get very ugly and divisive and that is what I feared. Noel (one of our Administrators) agreed that we were off topic. What was the topic? It was, to my way of thinking, why a woodturner was wearing a gun while woodturning. Answer: (thanks to Patrick m Stein and Texian) he was expressing his right to bare arms. End of discussion. After this there was some good, funny comments but then I felt the discussion was starting to be derailed by members wanting to discuss the issue of baring arms and the right to bare arms, hence my comment; one that was a bit forceful but one I don't back down from.

PS Ern, is that figure of yours going up? ie 1.6 handed woodturner. I hope it ain't your shooting arm that is affected.:D

Texian
12th March 2010, 12:54 PM
Would you all believe it's "bear" arms, not "bare" arms? Just a thought.

tea lady
12th March 2010, 03:35 PM
Would you all believe it's "bear" arms, not "bare" arms? Just a thought.Bear arms would be much better for bear hugs at least.:D

underfoot
13th March 2010, 05:32 AM
End of discussion. .
awww bummer, this thread had the potential for so many more pithy one liners :q,
maybe repost in the joke forum:D

Allen Neighbors
13th March 2010, 07:08 AM
For everybody's info: Bill lives out in the country. He has had some close calls before, the way I understand it. So he wears the gun to protect himself and his family.
He is also a licensed firearms instructor. And one of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet.

artme
13th March 2010, 08:39 AM
For everybody's info: Bill lives out in the country. He has had some close calls before, the way I understand it. So he wears the gun to protect himself and his family.
He is also a licensed firearms instructor. And one of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet.

Don't think there is any question that Billis a great bloke.

Just strange to we australians that this sort of thing happens, even though we know of the general attitude towards firearms in th USA.

rsser
13th March 2010, 09:10 AM
PS Ern, is that figure of yours going up? ie 1.6 handed woodturner. I hope it ain't your shooting arm that is affected.:D

Thanks for asking Brendan; not a lot more rotation is being achieved and the physio has made up a jig to get more tension between centres. But my arm is bare more of the time (many folk found the silver splint disarming).

Happily I don't have a shooting hand but if I had to hit someone with the hard splint on they'd know it. Course I'd give them a heads-up first; forewarned is forearmed.