PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a Bedan

Mulgabill
14th March 2010, 07:38 PM
G'day!
I am looking for guidance in sharpening a Bedan chisel. Is it done on a wheel or stone with the back honed to remove the burr??:?
Thanks

rsser
15th March 2010, 07:38 AM
Yes I'd say if you're using it in the 'French' way, ie. cutting just with the corners, that taking the burr off on a stone after passing the bevel across the grinder would be the best option.

The sides of a Bedan are relieved compared to a beading/parting tool and giving them a hone at the tip wouldn't hurt either.

Mulgabill
15th March 2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Ern!

issatree
23rd March 2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Russell,
I have 3 Beading Tools I made. I think a Bedan has 1 long Bevel & 1 Short Bevel. I used McJing HSS, & made my own handles
Mine are Sharpened equally on both sides, a bit like a Skew, which Beading Tools really are. I do a lot of work with these Tools. I have 1/2in-12mm?, 3/8in.-10mm.? & 1/4in.-6mm?
These are all sq. stock. I'm not sure if this helps or hinders ?.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsser
23rd March 2010, 12:06 PM
AFAIK a bedan only has a single bevel, and in x-section is slightly trapezoidal.

Sorby's .....

Mulgabill
23rd March 2010, 05:47 PM
Correct Ern! What you describe in your previous post is the European Bedan (read French) and is used mainly for spindle work. Jean Francois Escoulen being a respected master of the Bedan. See forum member Stu InTokyo demonstration in this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/bedan-practice-video-62091/