PDA

View Full Version : Is this the beginning of the end?

powderpost
14th March 2010, 09:48 PM
Not sure if any has noticed, but the last couple of jobs have all been from a single piece of timber. It has been a bit of a worry. Last week I found a piece of New Guinea rosewood in the cupboard. It was 150mm diameter and 50mm thick. Looked like it wanted to be a lidded bowl. I cut the lid out of the top and stuffed up, so had to make a laminated collar to make up the difference. It looked ok when polished, especially the laminated collar. This afternoon I got the urge to glue up some strips for a platter, and did so. I feel good now.. :wink:, back into laminating, even if I did loose my way for a while..:C :D.
Jim

coffenup
14th March 2010, 10:08 PM
great looking job as usual
regards Michael

hughie
14th March 2010, 10:12 PM
These are serious times, I would seek professional help as soon as possible.The thin end of the wedge before you know it, it'l be all over. :no:

Ad de Crom
14th March 2010, 10:21 PM
JIm, what else could you do than making a laminate collar, good choice.
Very well executed.
As usual you did it very well.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
15th March 2010, 07:55 AM
Well done there PP.!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Yes you may be in some trouble, rather than follow Hughie's advice it will probably be easier to just go with the flow and enjoy yourself.

wheelinround
15th March 2010, 08:01 AM
:o Jim thats becoming a habit some habits are good some bad but its good to know you an see your own problem ..............it prevents you from making the same mistake again :U

I like the piece looks great :2tsup:

Ozkaban
15th March 2010, 09:33 AM
Always fun to have a change for a couple of days though.

Mind you, the woodturning group I went to on the weekend had a demonstration on cutting a bit of wood up and gluing it back together (ie, split turning). Could be your solution - a nice middle ground :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
15th March 2010, 12:01 PM
Jim...careful now, going cold turkey is dangerous, so just kind of ease into the transition, and if I might suggest, find a turning buddy that has been through the process and can mentor you through also...and if really need to, go ahead and do a full segmented piece. We won't hold it against you.:no::roll::D

powderpost
15th March 2010, 08:36 PM
It is good to know I can depend on support when it is needed. Well good news, while having smoko this afternoon, I got the urge again. Just a light twinge mind you, but it was still there. :D
Jim

Texian
16th March 2010, 01:54 AM
Very nice mix and match Jim.

Have been working on "form" lately with (ugh!) solid chunks of wood. Hollowing is what takes patience, not segmenting. Fortunately got an order for a couple of 14" (356 mm?) segmented walnut bowls, and it was good to know that I had not forgotten how.

jefferson
17th March 2010, 07:48 PM
Jim,

The end for you is not near.

You are just a little "expert complacent" - which brings you back to the field at infrequent times. :2tsup:

A great fix and reward, :):):)

woodwork wally
22nd March 2010, 08:49 PM
I'll take stuffups that end like that every time mate it wouldn't have turned out any better if you had drawn it up Top recovery:2tsup::2tsup::) www