PDA

View Full Version : Supernova vs Supernova 2 Chucks

Big Shed
21st March 2010, 09:02 PM
I currently own a Nova G3 and would like to get a bigger chuck.

I would like to find out the actual differences between these 2 chucks, as well as people's experiences with them.

Do you find the open back of the Supernova a problem, is the hex key of the SN2 better than the proprietary key of the SN?

Will my current JSPIN Pin jaws fit both these chucks?

Jim Carroll
22nd March 2010, 08:44 AM
Fred the main differences between the 2 chucks is the key and the addition of the back plate.

The Supernova has the knuckle attached to the handle and for some they found this awkward to locate. the dust getting in the back as a quick blow out would soon clear this.

The Supernova 2 has a ball ended allen key and the back is closed of to prevent the dust getting in also the scroll stops you from opening the jaws too far and scrolling them right of the chuck body.

Nova accessories from day one have been compatible through the models, nova, supernova and supernova 2.

The titan was also compatable, except for the large titan jaws that required 3 screws.
The compac also had dedicated jaws but they got around that with jaw adaptors.

You may find the supernova chuck second hand as the Supernova 2 is the current model.

Wizened of Oz
22nd March 2010, 09:00 AM
One other difference.
The Supernova body was nickel plated and never rusts. This is not the case with the (now) Chinese made SN2.

Sawdust Maker
22nd March 2010, 08:57 PM
Yes I can confirm that my nickel plated SN2's get surface rust :doh: dammit

brendan stemp
22nd March 2010, 11:13 PM
Yes I can confirm that my nickel plated SN2's get surface rust :doh: dammit
Sounds like a very good reason to use it more:U

rsser
23rd March 2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah.

Vicmarcs rust too.

Sawdust Maker