PDA

View Full Version : SN2 Chucks that cant take an insert ??

hughie
21st March 2010, 09:20 PM
I ran into a thread on another forum about certain SN2 chucks that cannot take an insert. Anybody come across this before?

Apparently, according to the post, if they are screw cut with 33mmx3.5pitch they cannot have an insert?

Big Shed
21st March 2010, 09:26 PM
How's that for coincidence, just been reading about Supernova (and 2) chucks.

Apparently when the thread size is bigger than 30mm, ie 33mm or 1 1/2", they are dedicated thread chucks.

This because the female thread in the chuck that takes the insert is 38 or 39mm, so I guess not enough meat left on the insert.

It was on the Teknatool site, I think.

joe greiner
22nd March 2010, 12:05 AM
Correct, but not SN2. Teknatool Nova Midi Chuck: Nova Midi Chuck - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning. (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Teknatool___Nova_Midi_Chuck___nova_midi?Args=)

This is the American version (1"-8), but includes "Note: Does not accept threaded inserts." Most likely as Fred opines.

Cheers,
Joe

Jim Carroll
22nd March 2010, 08:37 AM
Teknatool supply inserts up to M30 and 1-1/4x8tpi.

To supply the european lathes at M33 they made a dedicated thread chuck, this made it awkward for anyone wanting to use their chuck on another lathe as there is no adaptors from the M33 down.

Their main body thread is M38 so not a lot of meat left to play with.

Allen Neighbors
22nd March 2010, 10:06 AM
I've done everything possible, except make one myself. I have two SN2 chucks. It is impossible to put them on my Oneway 33mm spindle using an insert. They don't make them. The chuck body has to be threaded to M33.
So, I use a Spindle Adapter.

Big Shed
22nd March 2010, 02:47 PM
The Sorby Patriot chucks uses "exserts" (the opposite to inserts), for 33 x 3.5mm and 1 1/2" x 8 spindles

See here (http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Patriot/patriot.html)

They also fit the SuperNova chucks I believe.

NeilS
24th March 2010, 09:55 AM
Teknatool also made a lefthand 30 x3.5 insert for a while (I got one at the time for outboard turning on my old Woodfast) then they stopped making them. I was told that there wasn't enough meat between the 30mm and 38mm threads running L/H-R/H to one another. Evidently the alignment of inner and outer R/H-R/H threads is still within acceptable tolerances.