PDA

View Full Version : sanding & finnishing pine floor

weekendwarrior
12th September 2004, 09:39 PM
can anyone give me a ball park figure of what i should expect to pay to get about 50 sq m of radiata pine floor boards sanded and polished? (location is Victoria, dont know if it differs from state to state.) Any help appreciated.

Chum
12th September 2004, 10:16 PM
Can't give u a figure but why don't u hire the sanders and do it yourself...if u do, do a test sand in an area where it does not matter so much (like a walk in robe). Mind u if u stuff it up, it is a bit irreversable (put down a carpet I suppose)
Chum

Dusty
13th September 2004, 03:07 PM
can anyone give me a ball park figure of what i should expect to pay to get about 50 sq m of radiata pine floor boards sanded and polished? (location is Victoria, dont know if it differs from state to state.) Any help appreciated.

Somewhere between a grand and fifteen hundred.

namtrak
13th September 2004, 03:21 PM
Radiata Pine? Not Cypress?

Anyway -

Professionals - between $35 and $50 per sqm.

DIY - Sander hire (give yourself 2 days) - $140
Edge Sander - $70
Sheets $4 each - between $30 and $80
Applicator $20
Finish $70 to $120
Bog $30
Satisfaction on a good job - Priceless
Annoyance on a screw-up - Priceless

If you have the dough then getting the pro's in is the best idea, if you have the gumption then DIY is way to go. The only caveat with DIY is make sure you have all your bases covered and have done your homework. Preparation is everything!!!

seriph1
13th September 2004, 06:24 PM
$1000 sounds about right to me for a good job ...... 50 sq. mtrs is a fair area, though depending on how much work is involved ie: is the room a rectangle with no built-ins etc. ..... you may need to pay a bit more to get someone out to gisborne though - not sure on that one......

Radiata also sounds about right if the home is up to 25 yrs old....what "look" are you hoping to achieve?

namtrak
13th September 2004, 09:14 PM
So is radiata common in newer houses? (obviously never had the money to live in one of these new fangled houses- I have been brought up on Cypress) Is it soft, for a floor?

seriph1
13th September 2004, 11:09 PM
Radiata is a basic flooring material - for some time probably the cheapest available solid flooring ......all plantation grown and available as flooring, liningboards, plain board(like 190X19 that you get from Bunnings etc.), studs and larger sections.

In flooring I recall it was available in 3,4 and 6inch widths tongue and groove....and for a short time, it came with a shiplap underside......

namtrak
14th September 2004, 08:01 AM
Ok. I gotta get out more.

Around here the floors are all cypress, baltic, mountain ash - I have seen jarrah and bluegum, but I have never come across -or more's the point - never noticed when I have come across it - a radiata floor. Go figure.

weekendwarrior
16th September 2004, 05:17 PM
Thaks for all the feedback. The house is about 20-25 years old and apparently a lot of houses in this area have radiata pine floors. My boards are 140mm wide and in fairly good condition. Have had some advice that even though the wood is essentially soft, a good 2 pac polyurathane should keep it looking good for a fair amount of time under "normal" conditions. In regards to look-- anything that is good!!!!!

seriph1
17th September 2004, 07:45 PM
I guess I was referring to: stained or clear?; Antique'd or fresh? etc. Often when people refinish floors they are trying to get a certain "look".

Anything you do to radiata to make it look better is a good thing in my books.... 2 pack is the go

have fun!