View Full Version : japanese saws handle

correntinos
23rd March 2010, 05:37 AM
hi everybody which is the material for made e japanese saw handle

thanks a lot javier fron the other side of the world

Sheets
24th March 2010, 03:23 AM
Hi Javier,

Most saws from Japan with wooden handles, would use cypress (hinoki), cedar (sugi), or paulownia (kiri). Toshio Odate mentions using pine since he lives in the USA.

The wood should be clear, light and reasonably straight grained. It does not need to be super strong because there is really no force applied other than in the direction of the pull, and this relies on the connection of the blade into the handle (friction or a screw/rivet) and not really dependent on the wood.

correntinos
24th March 2010, 02:31 PM
thanks a lot steve , but I have a question again , the handle is turning ( I talk about the litle marks brands in all the handle ) or have samething to cover the wood

thaks a lot
javier from argentina

Sheets
25th March 2010, 02:13 AM
Hi Javier,

I'm not sure if I understand your question but, if there is anything wrapped around the handle, it is usually rattan (authentic) or sometimes with a plastic that looks like rattan. Again, Toshio Odate mentions using cord or string. Something to give a better grip, but won't come loose easily.

Steve

RobTro
30th March 2010, 02:57 AM
For the handle, it doesn't have to be turned.

I just used some construction grade pine that had some straight grain. Two flat rectangular halves to start with. Then hand routrd a groove down the midle of one for the blade to go into after you glue the two halves together. Just watch the thickness as one half need to be thicker than the other.

after the two halves were glued together I just shaped it with hand planes and sandpaper. then put the blade in. Toshio Odate's book has a good description. I didn't bother adding the ratan wrapping.

Have a go and enjoy the experience. Once you have a go and understand you can go fancy if you want. But I would probably stick with soft woods.

correntinos
30th March 2010, 02:36 PM
thabks a lot for your answer
javier from argentina