PDA

View Full Version : Wasatree

bowl-basher
24th March 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi all
I was given this slab of "wasatree" a ecualypt of some type it has more gum and bark inclusions than any piece I have seen. I have left this platter a bit "chunky " (:oo:to dam chicken to go any further:oo:)280 dia 60 high
at the moment it is finished to 400 and has 3 coats of D/O not sure where it will go from here.
I would like to put it back up in the coles jaws and re work the base but common sense says leave it as is
Love your comments
Bowl basher

wheelinround
24th March 2010, 09:45 PM
If the first photo is rubbish throw it this way LOL before you turn it into pens :U

The bowl looks great :2tsup: another 1/2" off the inside would have you ducking for cover I think. I bet the tools got a sharpen a few times!!

Just a comment bet thats all your frustrations gone since leaving he 4 lettered word Graham good way of relieving them.

hughie
24th March 2010, 09:54 PM
Looking good:2tsup:, you could try and fill the veins with CA aka super glue. I do this with resinous eucalyptus burl and it works fine, Haven't had a whack in the head for years :U

bowl-basher
25th March 2010, 07:52 AM
Looking good:2tsup:, you could try and fill the veins with CA aka super glue. I do this with resinous eucalyptus burl and it works fine, Haven't had a whack in the head for years :U

I would need to have the CA in a bucket for this piece:C:C

hughie
25th March 2010, 08:47 AM
You could use thinned epoxy glue. Thin it with acetone, get the long setting variety, just remember thinning does effect the strength of it. But resinous type veins it probably wont require severe thinning to be effective

wheelinround
25th March 2010, 08:58 AM
OR you can get this Epoxy from Carba-Tec West System Resin & Hardener Fixes : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/west-system-resin-hardener-fixes_c11830)

hen using this stuff there is lots more sanding and large voids end up with dags of epoxy to hard to reach.

Graham I like the natural look as you have done a great piece.

Ed Reiss
25th March 2010, 12:04 PM
First bowl since retirement hit, BB??

If so, mount to a frame and put it up on a wall as a remembrance :2tsup:

bowl-basher
25th March 2010, 12:55 PM
:no::no::no: No Ed retirment is still 27 hours 31 min. away but I am not counting:B:B

artme
25th March 2010, 01:49 PM
BB, how about a bit of carving with an Arbortech? No one says a bowl/ platter has to be completely round.

Rum Pig
25th March 2010, 02:18 PM
I like that bowl the way it is well done:2tsup::2tsup:

bowl-basher
25th March 2010, 02:19 PM
BB, how about a bit of carving with an Arbortech? No one says a bowl/ platter has to be completely round.

Yea I had thought of that I must put one on the list of essentials that need to be in the shed to keep me out of SWMBO's way:U:U

artme
25th March 2010, 06:03 PM
Yea I had thought of that I must put one on the list of essentials that need to be in the shed to keep me out of SWMBO's way:U:U

Ah yes! A good move in life's chess game!:p:p

wheelinround
26th March 2010, 07:12 AM
So its today tears and booze up

Then the retirement party

Then the shed time :U

woodwork wally
26th March 2010, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Rum Pig;1130787]I like that bowl the way it is well done:2tsup::2tsup:]

I agree with Rum Pig Just the way it is cos if you start stuffing around with it you could end up with nought but a dent in the roof :oo::doh:and several bitsa kindling:?:no: cheers www