PDA

View Full Version : Need Glue Advice

Termite
13th September 2004, 02:01 PM
I'm just about to embark on several major projects using Blackwood. Problem is which glue to use.
I would normaly use AV 203 or 201 because of the long working time it has. The problem with either of these is that the catylist in them stains the Blackwood. I have an enquiry in with AV Syntec but any practical advice would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Termite

echnidna
13th September 2004, 04:34 PM
yellow glue works ok

Termite
13th September 2004, 04:42 PM
Working time Bob, working time. Yellow is my day to day glue but it has short working time.
Thanks for your reply
Termite

echnidna
13th September 2004, 04:53 PM
you may be stuck with epoxy then.

Termite
13th September 2004, 05:12 PM
you may be stuck with epoxy then.

You may be right Bob, by the way that's a nice play on words :D
Kind regards
Termite

Rocker
13th September 2004, 05:45 PM
Termite,

I use urea formaldehyde glue from Timbecon for glueing laminations. It is cheaper than Araldite, but has about a 20 minute working time, somewhat dependent on the temperature. You could get information on Boatcote (a boat-building epoxy) from Bitingmidge. That is fairly cheap, but I think it needs a filler, otherwise it is too runny for cabinet-making joinery.

Rocker

jow104
13th September 2004, 06:49 PM
I continually come across the term yellow glue but have never seen the title on any glue product. Can anyone please give any details, is there a brand name ?

echnidna
13th September 2004, 06:55 PM
its made for glung mdf

Different
13th September 2004, 10:29 PM
I'm just about to embark on several major projects using Blackwood. Problem is which glue to use.
I would normaly use AV 203 or 201 because of the long working time it has. The problem with either of these is that the catylist in them stains the Blackwood. I have an enquiry in with AV Syntec but any practical advice would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Termite
AV Syntec have a new Poly glue AV515 That might be worth a try.

Sprog
14th September 2004, 01:05 PM
I continually come across the term yellow glue but have never seen the title on any glue product. Can anyone please give any details, is there a brand name ?

Yellow Glue (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12545&parentid=12478&prodid=27118)

Original Titebond Glue (http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=1)

jow104
14th September 2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks Sprog,

I recognise the name Titebond so I will put on the purchase list.