PDA

View Full Version : Maple oval bowl

Ad de Crom
27th March 2010, 02:48 AM
After a very long cold winter spring arrived here in Holland, almost 20C isn't not so bad for march.
Was very nice to work in my shop with the door wide open.
Did some rough turnings, and have improved the oval turning device by fitting extra steel rings for the rollerbearings for more stability.
Did my oval turnings till now with turning only low profile objects, with a maximum height of 4cm, and wanted turning a higher oval bowl, so a real bowl.
Knew that I had to make improvements, after a lot of low profile oval bowls.
So here is the first oval bowl, axis dimensions 200x165mm, height 85mm, made of maple.
Used my hollowing rig for hollowing out the inside, as it was endgrain turning. This rig works better than using a bowl gouge.
Cheers, Ad

artme
27th March 2010, 07:58 AM
Well done Ad. Another success!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now for a 1metre talll vase.:D:D:p

Ad de Crom
27th March 2010, 08:11 AM
Well done Ad. Another success!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now for a 1metre talll vase.:D:D:p
Something for the next time Arthur :wink:
Thanks mate, is there news to tell about your foot.

wheelinround
27th March 2010, 08:14 AM
Set up looks good Ad as does the bowl.

Its hard to see that its oval in the photo's..........or is it like the one we use here s the size increases the oval becomes closer to round.

Sorry still haven't done the video yet :B

Ray

Ad de Crom
27th March 2010, 08:31 AM
Set up looks good Ad as does the bowl.

Its hard to see that its oval in the photo's..........or is it like the one we use here s the size increases the oval becomes closer to round.

Sorry still haven't done the video yet :B

Ray
Ray, used an excentricity of 17,5mm so the difference of the axis = 35mm.
Here a better front picture.
Cheers, Ad

bobsreturn2003
27th March 2010, 08:46 AM
you need to keep cutting on centre ,if you want a good result . its certainly diferent making oval bowls . nice work Bob

Ed Reiss
27th March 2010, 12:13 PM
Good one Ad :2tsup:

hmmmm, say you start with green wood, will it warp to a circle as it dries?:roll::D

Texian
27th March 2010, 02:13 PM
Nice work Ad. Still want to build the "Device", but realize I will probably never do it. And it was fun to study the design and think about it.

hughie
27th March 2010, 05:27 PM
Nice work Ad. Still want to build the "Device", but realize I will probably never do it. And it was fun to study the design and think about it

:UYou and me both, gave all my research stuff to Wheelin.

Ad, well done, all you lack is some highly figured timber. :2tsup:

wheelinround
28th March 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks Ad shows a better top view which show the oval shape.

Hughie you did :rolleyes: I think LOL

oldiephred
28th March 2010, 08:43 AM
Good work Ad. I too plan to make an oval rig--- but then again I PLAN to do a lot of things:C. To show my ignorance, is wood in good supply in most of Holland and what types are most available?:B

bowl-basher
28th March 2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks Ad shows a better top view which show the oval shape.

Hughie you did :rolleyes: I think LOL
:D:DRay I have it any way Ad sent it to me some time ago
Love the bowl Ad I am going to to get around to oval turning at some stage after I get used to this retirment thing
Regards
Graham

Ad de Crom
28th March 2010, 09:35 PM
Good work Ad. I too plan to make an oval rig--- but then again I PLAN to do a lot of things:C. To show my ignorance, is wood in good supply in most of Holland and what types are most available?:B
Wood that are available in Holland are in the first place inlands wood, like maple, birch, ash, beech, oak, cherry, walnut, willow and fruitwood, can order if I want Australian, or Indonesian or African wood, but this is expensive. Easier to get merbau or meranti, as this wood is used for doors or windows.
Untill now never bought a single piece of wood, get my wood from friends, and from the municipal works. Have to admit you folks in Down Under are more lucky with a large scale of beautiful colored hardwood available for woodturning. Can't help it that I live in Holland, but I'm proud on my small country.
Ad

Ad de Crom
28th March 2010, 09:54 PM
Love the bowl Ad I am going to to get around to oval turning at some stage after I get used to this retirment thing
Regards
Graham
Is it needed to get used to your retirement Graham, the 23th of march 2001, it was goodbye to my collegues, some nice talks, jumpt in my car and adios.
Was used to my retirement from off the first second of my freedom.
Now you have all the time of the world to do what you like to do, for example to build that thing. It's a really fun thing to build and to discover the new possibilities, as I saw on the video which Ray send me a while ago.
One good advice, don't run in the way of your LOML, you have your own kingdom :D
Ad :2tsup:

wheelinround
29th March 2010, 09:57 AM
Regards
Graham

:rolleyes: Was that the bowl he sent or the photo Graham?? Lucky fellow if it was the bowl he does real nice oval work.

So on Wednesday your coming to see Tom for an oval turning attachment for the Cougar :U

bowl-basher
29th March 2010, 01:39 PM
:rolleyes: Was that the bowl he sent or the photo Graham?? Lucky fellow if it was the bowl he does real nice oval work.

So on Wednesday your coming to see Tom for an oval turning attachment for the Cougar :U

Woha boy I am still adding up all the pages on SWMBO's list
:(:(:(

Rum Pig
29th March 2010, 02:07 PM
Nice bowl AD well done:2tsup::2tsup:

I'm still trying to keep my bowls round maybe that is my problem I should be making them oval:rolleyes: