PDA

View Full Version : Gloat

Alastair
14th September 2004, 12:14 PM
Took delivery of my new Nova 3000 last weekend, and got it finally set up and operating this Sunday.

What an improvement on my old cast iron monster. This should now ensure that every project is a gallery piece. :D

Seriously, however, even though I have been turning for 8 years, and have learnt the correct techniques at TAFE, there have been design and performance shortcomings (which I have been aware of) which now are shown up.

I would have liked to buy up to the Vicmarc, but on my budget could not justify the premium.

Watch this space for updates, as I get into the new toy.

Alastair

Kev Y.
14th September 2004, 03:05 PM
Congrats on the new baby. is it the DVR or the plain vanilla nova?

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Little Festo
15th September 2004, 12:14 AM
Alistair, the Nova 3000 is a good lathe. I use one where my wife and I get tuition. I have a Vicmark 300 at home (a Vermek one). The Nova isn't as solid but is nice lathe to work on. All the best with you new machine and happy turning.

Peter

as_is
15th September 2004, 12:39 AM
If budget was a consideration, I guess you bought the 3000 and not the DVR. I suggest if you budget permits to buy the some jaw attachments to the Nova chuck especially the pin jaws and the large 100mm jaws.

Took delivery of my new Nova 3000 last weekend, and got it finally set up and operating this Sunday.

What an improvement on my old cast iron monster. This should now ensure that every project is a gallery piece. :D

Seriously, however, even though I have been turning for 8 years, and have learnt the correct techniques at TAFE, there have been design and performance shortcomings (which I have been aware of) which now are shown up.

I would have liked to buy up to the Vicmarc, but on my budget could not justify the premium.

Watch this space for updates, as I get into the new toy.

Alastair

Alastair
15th September 2004, 01:38 PM
Yep, the 3000. I shied away from the DVR, as while the variable speed is great, the non servicable motor, and vulnerable electronics put me off. Also the cost. For that price I would rather have taken the Vicmarc 175. Also, if I really want variable, add a FC. With the belt speeds available, the loss of torque is no longer a problem.

I looked longingly at the Vicmarc 200, but felt the premium was too high. Belt changing also looked awkward, and the swivel head on the Nova was a big plus. While saying that, with the $500 increase I believe the Nova is expecting, the Vic would be the better buy.

Finally, 2 out of my 4 teachers punted the Nova. One has 3 of them in his business, where they get thrashed, and they have not needed attention since bought.

And yes, I have 2 chucks, and a selection of jaw sets. Does one ever have enough? :D

Alastair

barnsey
15th September 2004, 05:43 PM
One never has the right jaw :mad:

Seriously have just started using the 3000 that the old man gave me instead of the MC900. First couple of pieces off it feel great - look great according to the recipients - one was an offset sculpture :eek: and I haven't had half the dig in's either :rolleyes:
Okay - I'm becoming better at the craft :confused:

Happy turning. :)

Jamie

Alastair
16th September 2004, 01:24 PM
:eek: and I haven't had half the dig in's either :rolleyes:
Okay - I'm becoming better at the craft :confused:

Happy turning. :)

Jamie

Jamie

I believe what you are seeing is true. While good technique will reduce dig-ins, the lathe has an effect as well.

My old lathe had an ancient "scraper" toolrest, which supported the tool badly, and also required a different technique cf the lathe at TAFE. Bowls were OK, but I invaraible dug in using the skew at home.

Last Guild meeting I helped a guy who had been having dig problems while truing up a concentric, but varying density (hence unbalanced) blank. He had no probs with an identical but balanced one. We worked out that on his lathe, there was enough twist between toolrest and piece when the lathe vibrated in harmony, (or is that out of harmony) to make digs much more likely.

I have always had a sililar problem with bowls requiring excessive sanding, not for torn grain, but for toolmarks which are 'dug in' deeper than the rest of the job, no matter how carefully the finishing cut was taken. With the 3000, the problem has disappeared, as there is no differential movement between spindle and rest.

Alastair

barnsey
16th September 2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks Alastair,

I guess I might have been saying all that with tongue in cheek to some extent. :rolleyes:
As it is up till now I've been a solid supporter of the old cast iron cheapies for what they are. :confused:

Guess I'll be a little more balanced in my view now - all back to the price vs value I guess and while mine was an inheritance of sorts I doubt if I would have justified buying it. :cool:

But like you I found with certain timbers at certain speeds you either got tearout or it was very difficult to get a tool finish that I was proud of and the rotary sander used to cop a pounding. The tool rests on the nova are much more solid and parallel which gives more control I find.

Regards,

Jamie