PDA

View Full Version : Blackheart Sassafras bowl

wood hacker
30th March 2010, 11:03 PM
Well folks I finally got around to doing my first bowl. A few problems at the start, mainly to do with positioning of the chisel but once that was sorted there were curlies flying everywhere and man what a great feeling it is to finally get them. My finishing still leaves a little to be desired as I picked up some tool marks and messy end grain just as I was finishing up but here is my first ever bowl. Timber is Blackheart Sassafras, sanded to 400 grit, oiled and a final coat of beeswax. Dimensions are approx 120mm diameter and 40mm high.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

WH

TTIT
31st March 2010, 12:34 AM
:2tsup: Looks a lot like the first bowl I ever did 'cept I used Dead Finish. Welcome to the obsession :C

artme
31st March 2010, 07:03 AM
Well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nice shape and a great pice of Sassie.

How did you find it to work/ I always say that it cuts like cheese.

wood hacker
31st March 2010, 07:21 AM
Artme, once I got my tool positioning issues sorted it cut like a dream. I only had to run the tool across and there would be a big pile of curlies. Cutting like cheese is a good comparison. At time it almost felt like there was nothing in the way of the tool.

hughie
31st March 2010, 08:16 AM
]:2tsup: Looks a lot like the first bowl I ever did 'cept I used Dead Finish. Welcome to the obsession :C
[/QUOTE]

wot e' said :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
31st March 2010, 12:25 PM
You picked a really nice chunk of wood for your first WH. Don't worry too much about the sanding, finishing, etc. ...all that will come with experience.
Good job :2tsup:

gal turner
1st April 2010, 11:36 PM
Isn't it amazing how everyones first bowl resembles everyone else's??? The difference is you used real nice wood. Great first..let's see your progress..:)