PDA

View Full Version : Return

rsser
2nd April 2010, 10:44 AM
Back from limbo.

Did about an hour's turning last night, without bite-back, shaping the outside of a lump of blackwood.

Having to relearn the lathe tango to get a good line. Came close then messed it up aiming for a minor correction. Just rotated a wee bit too far towards the lathe bed with the tool near the foot and that makes a helluva difference by the time you get to the top.

So it's a lousy shape ATM and as there's enough meat at the base I'll turn the foot away plus some and try again.

colhu
2nd April 2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Ern

good to see that you are back to the wood dancing. Sounds like you have a good excuse for lots of lathe time - you need the practice.

cheers, Colin

artme
2nd April 2010, 11:54 AM
How does it feel to be nack int he saddle Ern?? Satisfying, I'll bet.

Looks like you are doing well enough. Nice lump of BW.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
2nd April 2010, 12:09 PM
is that "bite back" from the bowl or the wrist:whatonearth::;

Like riding a bicycle...you never forget how :2tsup:

tea lady
2nd April 2010, 12:49 PM
:2tsup:

rsser
2nd April 2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks - yeah, it is v. satisfying to be back at the wood muncher.

Ed, sorry, wrist bite-back is what I meant.

Damn if those tools didn't get blunt doing nothing though. Lotsa sharpening going on today.

Have had a play polishing out gouge flute milling marks with a profiled leather wheel on the Tormek. HT, the acme of turning tools, turned out interesting. Flutes are well polished but not enough to have removed all the marks. Clearly visible on one, just on another. The Tormek compound, which is pretty fine, dulled the finish. Odd; why did HT go to such trouble at the factory and yet not achieve the objective?!

Anyway, the paw is now on fire. Overshot the mark again :-

Grumpy John
2nd April 2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks - yeah, it is v. satisfying to be back at the wood muncher.

Ed, sorry, wrist bite-back is what I meant.

Damn if those tools didn't get blunt doing nothing though. Lotsa sharpening going on today.

Have had a play polishing out gouge flute milling marks with a profiled leather wheel on the Tormek. HT, the acme of turning tools, turned out interesting. Flutes are well polished but not enough to have removed all the marks. Clearly visible on one, just on another. The Tormek compound, which is pretty fine, dulled the finish. Odd; why did HT go to such trouble at the factory and yet not achieve the objective?!

Anyway, the paw is now on fire. Overshot the mark again :-

Good to see you back in the saddle (so to speak). I found that after my op that I had a much lighter grip on the tools, not necessarily a bad thing . It's a fact that sharp tools lose their edge doing nothing, so it's a waste of time sharpening them before storing, better to sharpen just before use.
Any chance of posting a pic of the gouge I loaned you for your polishing experiments?

rsser
2nd April 2010, 03:30 PM
yeah, light touch is what eludes me.

Can post a pic of your gouge and will when I start the non-Tormek honing tests.

Actually, when I got it home and looked more closely I thought this sod has been polishing the flute. And in any case it's a forged spindle gouge so needn't show milling marks. Anyway, there's enough scratches there for a honing test (think smilie with one finger up, lol.)

I've got a couple of small P&N bowl gouges but the flutes are too deep and narrow for the tests. Pity, they show excellent milling marks!

hughie
2nd April 2010, 03:45 PM
Having to relearn the lathe tango to get a good line. Came close then messed it up aiming for a minor correction.

:U I know what you mean, recently got back into it and it feels a bit kacky handed at times

Ad de Crom
2nd April 2010, 06:42 PM
Ern, very good to see you back on the turning front.
It's a good excercise to use your wrist and hands again, you know, see it as a therapy. After such a long time off from your lathe, you need some time to get used to turning a bowl. Build up again automatism.
Have fun, and lets the chips fly.
Ad

Sawdust Maker
2nd April 2010, 07:20 PM
Ern it's good to see you back at the lathe

I meant to ask you in the email how the paw was healing
I think I know the answer

So that's why all my tools are blunt - haven't been used for a while :2tsup:
Might have to do something about that

Allen Neighbors
3rd April 2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome back into the saddle, Ern.
Have fun, but don't overdo it... ya ain't gettin' younger, are ya? :D Takes a little longer for us older types to heal up.

rsser
3rd April 2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, Nick, when you get back into the shed and feel rusty, it's called losing your edge and blaming the tools. I'm sure the gouges and skews don't shed their edges into the shavings while we're not looking - but there is a common conviction that they dull over time. Minor corrosion of the burrs with damp wood fibres still stuck in them?

Al, yeah it does take time. 6 to 12 months expected for multiple fractures of the wrist. Next incarnation I hope to get the hard rubber/titanium bionic model.

Ad, quite right. Patience is not one of my virtues but I'm learning. Now have a heat pack to soothe the wrist when I forget. :2tsup:

Hughie, kack-handed is spot on. The number of times I drop things! Essential to keep the floor swept; fishing for a dropped washer with a magnetic wand, through a 3" thick layer of shavings is a recipe for a bit of blue language, esp when it fishes out the screw that was lost last week and since replaced only with some running around :rolleyes:

Texian
3rd April 2010, 11:40 AM
Me too what they said Ern. Motor gently for a while.