PDA

View Full Version : Jaw size help

wood hacker
2nd April 2010, 06:01 PM
Hi folks. I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a bit of info. A while ago I picked up cheap a scroll chuck, which I have no idea of the brand. I'm wanting some different sized jaws to do various things and I'm hoping that either the vicmark or teknatool jaws will fit it. What I need to know is the size of the holes that the bolts go through to hold the jaws into the chuck and how far apart they are on the vicmark and teknatool jaws.

Here's hoping that one or the other will be a fit.

cheers
WH

robo hippy
3rd April 2010, 04:34 PM
It would depend on which brand of chuck you have. I know that the Grizzly is a clone of the Vicmark, and the jaws can interchange, but don't know about the others. Personally, I have found it easier to have several chucks rather than changing out the jaws. This is especially true if you are doing production work.

robo hippy

rsser
3rd April 2010, 05:13 PM
Not only the screw sizes and spacing have to match but also the locating 'ribs' wood hacker.

VM screws are 5mm diam; Nova are 6mm. Their spacing is the same; jaw ribs are not I'm afraid.

skot
3rd April 2010, 06:52 PM
wood hacker,

If you want to make a trip just over to Sumner over this weekend, I use vicmarc chucks & jaws and you can see if the VM jaws fit your chuck

Cheers
Scott

turnerted
4th April 2010, 05:33 PM
The best way would be to just take your chuck along to a major woodturning supplier and ask them to check if any of jaws they sell fit .

Ted