PDA

View Full Version : Wood turning & wood gathering

Willy Nelson
4th April 2010, 11:08 AM
Happy Easter All
I spent a 1/2 day in the bush gathering firewood (special pieces become turing blanks) with the family and brother and his wife. She is a photographer so she is now tasked with photographing my work. Whilst we chopped, she photographed. The letter openers from left to right are
1. Sheoak
2. Jam
3. Quilted Jarrah
4. Brown Malllee burl
5. Jarrah burl
6. Brown Malllee burl
7. Myrtle burl
8. Lace Sheoak

The chainsaw Stihl MS 660 sure does make light work of the toughest timbers. We had 1 1/2 ton of dry jarrah, split and stacked in the trailers in no time.
Good day had by all
Regards
Willy
Jarrahland

Ed Reiss
4th April 2010, 11:59 AM
quality family time...priceless !! :2tsup:

dai sensei
4th April 2010, 06:14 PM
Sound like a great day and you should have some great blanks :2tsup:.

Using the timber as firewood does make me sad though. I can't stop thinking about if it had been slabed and turned into furniture/bowls/craft etc then sold, the money would have paid for a lot of natual gas/electricity or something else to provide heating :rolleyes:. Same could be said for other species used as firewood in other states.

corbs
4th April 2010, 08:27 PM
Looks like a productive day hunting for wood there Willy:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
5th April 2010, 12:39 AM
Neil
The timber is no good for turning as it had pockets of rot throughout. Mind you, without getting into an argument about sustainable heating and energy sources, at least burning timber is a renewable resource.
Willy

artme
5th April 2010, 06:51 AM
A day in the bush hunting and gathering!! Good therapy.

hughie
5th April 2010, 08:37 AM
The timber is no good for turning as it had pockets of rot throughout.

sigh, a bit of a shame tho' but on the other hand it will be as hard a tool steel to turn :U

Bruceo
5th April 2010, 08:43 AM
Have to agree 100% Willy. Burning firewood is more sustainable than burning coal or gas, we have to live within our means.

Bruce

Allen Neighbors
7th April 2010, 10:38 AM
Willy, that's great! Glad you said you'd turn the special pieces into turning timber. Australian timbers are all gorgeous... some just more so. :D