PDA

View Full Version : Stone Inlay some Pictures

burl
4th April 2010, 08:54 PM
I thought I would post a few items I have turned over the last week using Stone Inlay.

I was pretty pleased with how they turned out

The first one is a Coolabah burl with Malachite stone inlay. Not yet finished as I am adding a lid and finial

The second and third photos are of a Camphor Laurel platter with Azurite ring

The final foto is a New Guinea Rosewood hollow form with Chrysocolla ring insert

Regards

Burl

corbs
4th April 2010, 09:13 PM
Beautiful pieces... I love the Camphor & Azurite though:2tsup:. I'm interested in your process as I have a few plain pieces of Camphor that would respond well to similar treatment:rolleyes:

dai sensei
4th April 2010, 10:29 PM
Great results :2tsup:.

The only problem with stone inlays is what they do to your chisels. Corbs - I place the crushed stone in the recess, then use thin CA, followed by thick CA. If the stone extends past the surface you want, I use a dremmel to get back down with sanding drum.

gal turner
4th April 2010, 10:49 PM
you've been busy. I like your first one best..it's free form and looks like it grew there.

burl
4th April 2010, 10:56 PM
I teach out at Pop's Shed on week ends and I have just written a paper on the Stone Inlay technique. These pieces were the subject of the paper.

If anyone is interested here is the link to download the paper.

Pop's Shed Stone Inlay (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Sub_Categories.aspx?Category=33)

Regards

Burl

corbs
4th April 2010, 10:58 PM
Sorry for the hijack but where do you source your crushed stone from? Thanks for the reply Neil:)

burl
4th April 2010, 11:01 PM
you've been busy. I like your first one best..it's free form and looks like it grew there.

The amount of sanding I did it didn't feel like it grew there

Regards

burl
4th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry for the hijack but where do you source your crushed stone from? Thanks for the reply Neil:)

Through Pop's Shed - But I need to declare I work there.

Regards

Chris

corbs
4th April 2010, 11:12 PM
Through Pop's Shed - But I need to declare I work there.

Regards

Chris

Sweet, thanks for that. Am visiting Pop's Shed now... nice place to work too:2tsup: