PDA

View Full Version : Making faceplate rings

Tiger
7th April 2010, 12:13 PM
I'm going to be turning a few bowls in the near future but a lot of my timber is green so I'll turn and let it sit for a while. I intend to make up a number of faceplate rings for my Vicmarc Chuck. Can anyone tell me what dimensions their rings have?

rsser
7th April 2010, 01:24 PM
Assuming you have the VM100 ... ?

Small ring: OD = 74mm, ID = 35mm, counterbore diam = 46mm, counterbore depth = 4mm

Large ring, respectively: 100, 57, 70, 4

Thickness of both = 7mm.

And of course the counterbore wall angle has to match the jaw dovetail angle.

Tiger
7th April 2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Ern. I'm at work now but I know I have the smaller of the Vicmarc chucks. Your info is much appreciated, now just need to find some thin steel.

colhu
7th April 2010, 10:54 PM
Hi Tiger

as an alternative you could try the aluminium disk out of a VCR - it's part of the tape reading system, and when you pull a VCR apart there are usually a fixed one and a free-spinning one. They are about 60mm dia and make great rings to hot-glue onto blanks. You could also drill them to use screws if you wanted. I use them with my VM100 chuck.

The attached pic shows one hot-glued to a huon pine bowl blank. I can grip it in either expansion or contraction mode - either works well. Before you use it for the first time you need to slightly undercut the ring you are going to grip on, to roughly match the taper on the jaw of the chuck. A HSS skew or parting tool will do it.

cheers, Colin

wheelinround
8th April 2010, 09:38 AM
Like Colin above I have 4 of the video drive heads 3 thanks to Hughie

I also made my own http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/boss-no-longer-115707/

:2tsup:

Tiger
8th April 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks Colin, actually have a few of these VCR heads lying around. Think from memory that I couldn't separate the fixed head from the spihnning head:doh:.
Your idea though is great and would save me a lot of time as I had images of working with steel and boring out the centre etc.

colhu
8th April 2010, 08:47 PM
Think from memory that I couldn't separate the fixed head from the spinning head:doh:.

Hi Tiger

do you need me to loan you a bigger hammer?

I think from memory I punched the shaft out. There is electrical stuff inside the rings that you generally have to break out.

cheers, Colin

Sawdust Maker
8th April 2010, 10:37 PM
Interesting
Might have to have a wander during the next council cleanout

China
8th April 2010, 10:52 PM
My Late brother had his own video/tv repair shop, I think I have about 100 of those in a box some where

Tiger
9th April 2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Tiger

do you need me to loan you a bigger hammer?

I think from memory I punched the shaft out. There is electrical stuff inside the rings that you generally have to break out.

cheers, Colin

I didn't want to be too heavy handed with them as they're only aluminium, if it's only a pin though, I should be able to separate them.

China
9th April 2010, 11:36 PM
It is called a head drum assembly on 90% of them remove two screws and the upper drum will just lift off,ocaisionly a special puller is required, not hard to make, if not repairing it you don't have to be too fussy, lower drum is another story could lock tight or pinned or presed on