PDA

View Full Version : A little Blackwood bowl

corbs
8th April 2010, 07:57 PM
Had a friend give this to me and say "what can you do with it?". It tried to kill me a couple of times as it broke out of my chuck so I shelved it for a few months:rolleyes:. Looked at it again on the weekend so had another go at it. I was pretty cautious and left it pretty chunky but reasonably happy with the result. The finish looks cloudy in the pics but thats just my poor photography:-. Finish is four coats of Kunos oil finished off with traditional wax. I think the Kunos oil is going to be my finish of choice on bowls, really nice to work with and gives a very nice finish.

Corbs

wood hacker
8th April 2010, 09:33 PM
I can see why you took it easy on this one. All those knots and cracks would have me trembling at the knees every time I turned the lathe on.

Beautifully finished as well. :2tsup:

bowl-basher
8th April 2010, 10:03 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I like a lot.... love the form and the finish
:?can you give a bit more detail on the "Kunos oil " as I would like to get hold of some of that
Regards
Bowl Basher

corbs
8th April 2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys, BB I got the Kunos Oil from the local gallery. Here (http://www.bungendorewoodworks.com.au/node/57) is what they have about it on their site. Ingredients are at the bottom of the page:rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
8th April 2010, 10:32 PM
Corbs
I'd be careful of that friend - gives you a hunk of timber guaranteed to brain ya at the earliest opportunity :doh:

nice job tho :2tsup:

hughie
8th April 2010, 11:23 PM
:U great stuff to turn and it seems to come up looking real good :2tsup:

artme
8th April 2010, 11:31 PM
Yep, that will do!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paulphot
9th April 2010, 09:49 AM
Very nice, I don't mind it being a bit chunky, I think it suits it. Now to finish that gekko bowl....

Ed Reiss
9th April 2010, 11:33 AM
I was pretty cautious and left it pretty chunky

:qwoosie!!!

All in all looks good Corbs :2tsup::D