PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool DVR XP Lathes-Recent Experience

Grant Mack
8th April 2010, 11:32 PM
Hello all,
I appreciate this subject has been done to the death in the past, but, has anyone got current i.e. within the last six/twelve months, experience with one of these babies?
I am experiencing a shortage of space in the shed and the only way I can do bigger than over the bed on my Jet 1642 is by buying an outboard tripod, which takes up another metre in length and needs adaption to the tool post to meet the centre height.
I am mainly dong bowls but bought the Jet due to its overbed capacity.
I now have some wood that does not fit over the bed!
I have been considering the Stubby 750 and/or Vicmarc 200/300 short bed, but here in WA they are twice the price plus of the DVR XP.
Any positve/negative experiences of the DVR XP (within legal constraints) would be appreciated.
Regards
Grant MacKinnon

Ozkaban
9th April 2010, 10:40 AM
rsser has put up a thread on this recently. lemme see if I can dig it out.

Have you considered the Vicmarc VL175? Bit more expensive, but with the swivel head it should do what you're after.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
9th April 2010, 10:41 AM
Here it is (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/teknatool-dvr-xp-judgement-103810/)

From September last year, so pretty recent.

Ozkaban
9th April 2010, 11:01 AM
This one too (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/dvr-xp-update-108275/)

I searched the forum for "DVR" and came away with nothing :shrug: Tried google and t matched a bunch of threads...

Cheers,
dave

artme
9th April 2010, 12:42 PM
Sounds like time for a bigger shed.:D

rsser
9th April 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Dave.

Grant, if you PM me your email address I'll send you my notes on my early experience with the DVR XP. Lathes before that were Stubby 1000, Vicmarc 175, and MC900 (Chinese version).

I notice that the current Carbatec catalogue has the DVR XP now at $2.9k. But add to that a stand, bed extension and outrigger. And bed extension hinge if you want to swing it out of the way.

Ozartisan
10th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Grant
I have 2 DVR's at Artisans Retreat - VERY happy with them.
They are used in our woodturning classes and try as they might, no student has destroyed one yet!

Just to throw another lathe into the mix, I had the pleasure of using Trends new "Cougar" lathe at the Newcastle wood show not that long ago.
I was a little apprehensive before trying it as I was used to the smoothness & power of the DVR.
I must confess I am impressed with the machine. The bed & legs seem more robust than the DVR, good swivel head, and although only half the horsepower, had a mile of torque!
Trends info is here
Trend Timbers » Cougar Lathe (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=144)
I know Adrian (from Trend) has sent units to WA - couldn't tell you what freight etc is. Have a chat to Adrian if you want more info.
Cheers
Peter (Ozartisan)

Grant Mack
11th April 2010, 02:59 PM
Many thanks to Ern for your comprehensive notes and everyone else for taking the time to reply.
Looks like I will still keep considering Vicmarc shortbeds or Stubby 750. Have to convince SWMBO that it is more than a hobby but not an obsession!
Regards
Grant MacKinnon

rsser
11th April 2010, 03:17 PM
If you succeed let us know how you managed it!

rsser
11th April 2010, 04:05 PM
PS Woodfast also sell an EVS lathe with swivel head. IIRC Pat has one. Might be worth exploring.

bowl-basher
11th April 2010, 09:11 PM
Grant
I have 2 DVR's at Artisans Retreat - VERY happy with them.
They are used in our woodturning classes and try as they might, no student has destroyed one yet!

Just to throw another lathe into the mix, I had the pleasure of using Trends new "Cougar" lathe at the Newcastle wood show not that long ago.
I was a little apprehensive before trying it as I was used to the smoothness & power of the DVR.
I must confess I am impressed with the machine. The bed & legs seem more robust than the DVR, good swivel head, and although only half the horsepower, had a mile of torque!
Trends info is here
Trend Timbers » Cougar Lathe (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=144)
I know Adrian (from Trend) has sent units to WA - couldn't tell you what freight etc is. Have a chat to Adrian if you want more info.
Cheers
Peter (Ozartisan)

I couldn't agree more on the Cougar I bought one six months ago and am very happy with the unit
Bowl-Basher

robo hippy
12th April 2010, 02:53 AM
I did one bowl turning demo on a Nova DVR. The only thing I didn't like about it is changing the speeds. You can program it for 4 or 5 preferred speeds, but have to ramp up and down from there, which is VERY slow. Since I turn a lot of green unbalanced blanks, it wouldn't work for me. Adjusting a dial is much better to me. Also, the minimum speed is 100 rpm or so. This is too fast for me. I love warped bowls, and you can't keep your abrasives on a rotating warped bowl at anything over about 30 rpm. I have one of the Robust lathes, and the owner helped me reprogram the phase converter to lower speeds. The old Powermatic lathes (sold internationally as Jet I think) would go that slow, but the newer ones turn off at 50 rpm.Their reasoning is that at the slow speeds the motors will over heat and fry the electronics. Well, I sanded out thousands of bowls in those speed ranges, and the motor runs cooler than when I am turning.

As a production turner, the DVR is a bit small and light weight, but it does a good job of keeping torque under load. If you are into coring, the only coring system that will work on it when the head is pivoted is the McNaughton, which is fine by me as that is my preferred system, and I own all 3 systems (Oneway and Woodcut).

robo hippy