PDA

View Full Version : tool rest

texx
9th April 2010, 06:25 PM
one of these days i am going to have to make a tool rest for outboard turning ( been saying that for over 30 years ) but for now this is working , bit of a pain when the rest needs to be moved , need 3 hands to undo the G clamps reposition the rest and clamp it up again .

rsser
9th April 2010, 06:34 PM
Where's the fencing wire? ;-}

And the can of Coke is to demonstrate that there's no flex or vibration?

old pete
9th April 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi Texx,

I hope you haven't been turning radiata Pine for the last thirty years. There's no one but no one who deserves that sort of punishment!! :oo: :o.

Old Pete

texx
9th April 2010, 06:46 PM
radiata i hate the stuff ,but for this project on a budget its about all i could use .its a hat stand and that is the base in the lathe and not going very well at all didnt join up very well (select grade my eye ).
would like to use better timber but availability out here is limited to say the least ,thought of using ironbark but if it fell on some one it would kill them .

RETIRED
9th April 2010, 09:57 PM
The poor old Radiata cops it in the neck again.

A tree has:
Bark
Leaves
Trunk
Branches
Roots
Sucks up water
Expels Carbon Dioxide.Inhales carbon dioxide and expels oxygen.:-

HMMMM a Radiata does all this ergo it must be a tree.

It works well, easy on tools, is plantation grown, sustainable, holds good detail, finishes well and as far as I know, non allergen.

A lot of people have educated their kids, kept up their mortgage payments and put food on the table because of Radiata pine. I am one of them.

It is nice to work the exotics (done that too) but value for money and availability you can't equal the humble pine.

Don't be a timber snob.:wink:

BobL
9th April 2010, 10:02 PM
A tree has:
Bark
Leaves
Trunk
Branches
Roots
Sucks up water
Expels Carbon Dioxide.

Maybe that's why it's not a real tree and is called crapiata!

powderpost
9th April 2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with you . Much of the every day furniture I have made is radiata pine. It is easy to work, machines well and is untreared.
Jim

texx
9th April 2010, 10:37 PM
i like the price of it compared to other timber , i like the feature in the grain ,and the colour.
i dont like the softness to easy to dent , and i dont like the end grain tear out .
i learnt to turn with it in strathpine brisbane in the mid 70's all our practice stuff was done with it , every thing we made was radiata pine , maybe i got sick of it .

tea lady
9th April 2010, 11:29 PM
I like the tool rest solution. Maybe I CAN do outboard turning on mine. Will have to learn backwards turning cos I haven't got a reversing motor though.:rolleyes::D

joe greiner
9th April 2010, 11:54 PM

A tree has:
Bark
Leaves
Trunk
Branches
Roots
Sucks up water
Expels Carbon Dioxide.

HMMMM a Radiata does all this ergo it must be a tree.

It works well, easy on tools, is plantation grown, sustainable, holds good detail, finishes well and as far as I know, non allergen.

A lot of people have educated their kids, kept up their mortgage payments and put food on the table because of Radiata pine. I am one of them.

It is nice to work the exotics (done that too) but value for money and availability you can't equal the humble pine.

Don't be a timber snob.:wink:
My latest bowl was named "Rodney Dangerfield," because it was turned from Pine, which gets no respect.:D

Cheers,
Joe

RETIRED
10th April 2010, 12:27 AM
Maybe that's why it's not a real tree and is called crapiata!Ahem.:- Will edit that.

Texian
10th April 2010, 02:58 PM
Nice bowl Joe. Apparently radiator pine is held in same high esteem as most U.S. pines. Gone to look for a picture. Back in a minute.

Found some pine stuff. This is ordinary kiln dried southern yellow pine (SYP) construction lumber.

Oops, not on topic re. outboard tool rest. Sorry about that.

Manuka Jock
10th April 2010, 03:18 PM
If you don't have the skills to turn Radiata Pine , don't touch it .

rsser
10th April 2010, 03:23 PM
Seems there are grades of Radiata, like anything else.

A block of the stuff left behind by after a turnfest here was a much better turning proposition than other stuff I've tried.

Yeah, I'm a wood snob and proud of it. But this isn't the first time I've had to make a meal of my words :-

texx
10th April 2010, 03:42 PM
and if you live out my way dont turn your back on it or the white ants will have it gone quicker than you can say baygon.
they even ate the original old 1"plywood base board off one of my darkroom enlargers while i wasnt looking ,

old pete
10th April 2010, 04:20 PM
Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! I didn't realise there was so much raw emotion out there about radiator pine or I would not have precipitated the flow of such a debate in the first instance. Yes I guess the old radiator pine has got some good attributes after all. The key one is that you can fell the tree and have the kiln dried product in the shop the same day if you have everything co- ordinated right. Best case scenario for ash group hardwoods is about 45 days from stump to shop.

I too have used radiator extensively for training high school students in the art of wood turning. The key there being that I can focus on having 4 kids turning all the time under instruction rather than me spending about 25% of it sharpening tools while they watch and wait.

Seriously if you can turn a 50mm bead in the old radiator with a shine all over the profile and no sign at all of compression bruising as you approach the fillet either side you have reached a pretty high standard of turning with a pretty recalcitrant material. How about focusing some of that emotion on getting to that place.:roll:

Old Pete

rsser
10th April 2010, 04:24 PM
Good challenge Old Pete.

Manuka Jock
10th April 2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! I didn't realise there was so much raw emotion out there about radiator pine or I would not have precipitated the flow of such a debate in the first instance. Yes I guess the old radiator pine has got some good attributes after all. The key one is that you can fell the tree and have the kiln dried product in the shop the same day if you have everything co- ordinated right. Best case scenario for ash group hardwoods is about 45 days from stump to shop.

I too have used radiator extensively for training high school students in the art of wood turning. The key there being that I can focus on having 4 kids turning all the time under instruction rather than me spending about 25% of it sharpening tools while they watch and wait.

Seriously if you can turn a 50mm bead in the old radiator with a shine all over the profile and no sign at all of compression bruising as you approach the fillet either side you have reached a pretty high standard of turning with a pretty recalcitrant material. How about focusing some of that emotion on getting to that place.:roll:

Old Pete :2tsup:

rsser
13th April 2010, 02:57 PM
Crikey. I've just gone to 3 timber merchants in the area, and one pine furniture factory, to get some 3x3 or 4x4 Radiata and no luck at all. It's all treated, laminated or Cypress.

The last timber merchant sent me to guess what? a production turner in a back street in Coburg.

Bless him, he sold me a couple of metres of 4x4 at what seemed to be a v. reasonable price.

RETIRED
13th April 2010, 04:59 PM
Bunnings actually sell 3x3 Dar.

rsser
13th April 2010, 05:23 PM
:doh:

old pete
13th April 2010, 05:50 PM
Those square sizes or their metric equivalents in have been very difficult to source in Tassie for about 3 years. I laminate for school work squares which is quite adequate. The reason for the scarcity is a relucance by the producers to slow their kiln schedule down to a number that would make production possible without stimulating heart crack in every piece. I remember a producer telling me a few years ago that you had to have a treatment plant if you were producing squares because most of the material that came out of the kiln was down grade and suitable only for treating for posts due to heart crack. I used to send back so called 'furniture grade' clear radiator for the same defect all the time. Instability due to induced drying stress was also a major problem In the end I just stopped using it. In my view it's a last gasp product as it's now produced and it doesn't need to be that way.

Old Pete

Calm
13th April 2010, 09:44 PM
one of these days i am going to have to make a tool rest for outboard turning ( been saying that for over 30 years ) but for now this is working , bit of a pain when the rest needs to be moved , need 3 hands to undo the G clamps reposition the rest and clamp it up again .

there is an option you know :D:D

wait for it :rolleyes::)

A STUBBY CAN TURN 1 METRE INBOARD :2tsup::2tsup:

well you knew it was coming.:D:D now to be helpfull

DJ has a simple one he made himself - you never know he may have a picture somewhere.

Cheers -

cultana
15th April 2010, 12:31 AM
Apologies for the little hijack, but does this imply that a new thread is about to start to show us new comers how it is all done properly?

Good challenge Old Pete.

Just a simple bead is so easy to look at without feeling totally out of depth especially when looking the high level of work in this forum, which is somewhere in the heavens from my humble perspective.

Texian
15th April 2010, 01:01 AM
Hey I was just kidding calling it "radiator" pine. Isn't it really "radiata"?

hughie
15th April 2010, 09:44 AM

I don't mind it as its a great learning timber. If you can cut baby smooth finish on radiata your well on your way.:2tsup:

hughie
15th April 2010, 09:46 AM
A STUBBY CAN TURN 1 METRE INBOARD :2tsup::2tsup:

:U A entirely predictable response, but one worth noting.

Ed Reiss
15th April 2010, 12:17 PM
David...why not just tell us how you really feel about your Stubby :q:D:D:D

RETIRED
15th April 2010, 01:43 PM
David...why not just tell us how you really feel about your Stubby :q:D:D:DBecause fortunately there is a word limit on posts.:D

Ed Reiss
16th April 2010, 12:15 AM
:lmfao: