PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift

Tiger
10th April 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm considering making a turned wedding gift for a colleague is getting married, what do you reckon would be a suitable gift?

coffenup
10th April 2010, 11:06 PM
a rolling pin:B
regards michael

China
10th April 2010, 11:07 PM
I S&P grinders, cake stand, cutting board, lidded box,potpourri box, trinket boxes I'm sure others will add to the list, just don't do what I did I made a blackwood coffee table as a wedding gift for a very good mate in 1986 I am about to start assemblnig it tomorrow, I even missed the wood aniversary

skot
11th April 2010, 08:53 AM
China, if he is still married...inlay some silver into it and give it to him next year for his 25th

burl
11th April 2010, 09:18 AM
I have given a number of special one off Burl bowls as wedding presents over the years - Now I would add Stone inlay to it as well

Regards

Tiger
11th April 2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks, some good ideas here.

China, the trinket box you mentioned, was that exclusively woodturned and do you have an example of one?

brendan stemp
11th April 2010, 01:51 PM
Definitely salt and pepper grinders. Buy a couple of Crushgrind mechanisms and use them in the grinders and you can tell the lucky couple that the grinders should outlast their marriage!!!:D

China
11th April 2010, 02:10 PM
skot, you have saved the day, there is a solid plaque to go underneath just have to get it ingraved

Sawdust Maker
11th April 2010, 03:24 PM
How about a goblet with two captured rings

Chipman
11th April 2010, 04:05 PM
How about a ring box? (trinket box)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/121941d1258149279-box-turning-grain-direction-help-imgp0606a.jpg

I have found these popular

Chipman

China
11th April 2010, 09:40 PM
Tiger sorry I don't have any pics of one at the moment, the pic from Chipman will give you the Idea, you can thread the lid or it can just be a push on fit I have also seen powder compact mechanism's used for the lids

Big Shed
11th April 2010, 09:55 PM
Why not make them a special set of wedding pens?

All the ones I have made have been very well received.

Tiger
11th April 2010, 10:48 PM
Chipman, I like the trinket box, how exactly is the heart inlayed?

Chipman
12th April 2010, 09:13 PM
Chipman, I like the trinket box, how exactly is the heart inlayed?

First I create the design on the computer and flip it mirror image (not necessary with a symetrical design) and print it out.

Place it on top of the lid and use a hot iron to transfer it onto the wood.

The ring is simply cut in the lid using a very small parting tool and then the contrast wood turned like a tube to the required diameter and thickness and glued in and then trimmed off.

For the heart shape, I Use a small drill in the drill press to remove most of the wood then a selection of small chisels and craft nives to finish hollowing it out.

Next glue the paper pattern of the shape of the inlay onto a thin piece of wood (4-5 mm thick) Cut it out an a small bandsaw/scrollsaw and carefully sand/file it to just fit in then glue it in.

Finally remount the lid and trim/sand/finish on the lathe. I usually use wipe on polyurethane for these things

Regards,

Chipman

keithkarl2007
13th April 2010, 07:01 AM
a goblet with 2 interlocking captured rings

Tiger
13th April 2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks Chipman, I must have a go at one of those, I like the heart symbol as it's very appropriate for a recently married couple.

Chipman
14th April 2010, 10:54 PM
Good luck with it Tiger.

This one was made for my Niece (who is getting married soon in England) She wanted something to remind her of home. It is made from Red Gum and Yellow Box...firewood from her Grandfather.

It is a ring box designed to hold both their rings on their wedding day. It is made in such away that the inside cushion that holds the two rings can be removed and used for other purposes after the day. The lid is held on with an O ring such that the lid easily twists off but will not fall off.

Cheers,

Chipman