PDA

View Full Version : Live centre sets

Big Shed
11th April 2010, 09:38 PM
I have been looking for a live centre (MT2) that takes different shaped inserts, such as long narrow points when the standard one gets in the way, perhaps a cup type to support round shapes etc.

I have found several on the market, Sorby (http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/revolving-centres.htm) makes one, Nova (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Centres/nlc.htm) is another, Vermec (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/livecentre.pdf) also has one, there is one I saw reviewed in Woodturning mag, Multistar Super 32 (http://www.jacquescoulombe.com/pdf_files/CentreleafM.pdf) and there are a few on Ebay (ozmestore and the mob in Shepparton, 345len).

Of all the ones I looked at on the internet, the Multistar appeals the most, but doesn't seem to be available in Oz.

Even been toying with making one myself, but would prefer to buy one.

It needs to have a relatively easy system of interchanging tips, and it shoud be possible for me to make custom tips to fit.

So, my question is, do any of you use these live centres with interchangeabe tips, and if so which one and are you happy with it.

jefferson
12th April 2010, 08:34 AM
Fred,

I recently bought the Sorby system from CWS for $138. I was initially interested in adding it to my travelling kit, but have found at least 2 of the interchangeable bits very useful. (Both bits let you bring tail stock pressure up without a point.)

I am very happy with the kit and would recommend it to anyone. That said, I haven't seen the competition either.

rsser
12th April 2010, 08:44 AM
Several of us have the Nova; it's a pretty flexible setup. QC has raised it's ugly head but if you buy local there's no drama.

Big Shed
12th April 2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys, I tried to get a look at the Nova and the Sorby when Jim was in Bendigo over Easter.

He didn't have any in stock and won't have any for a month or so.

I like the look of the Nova system but as Ern pointed out, QC is a problem having been bitten before with Nova stuff.

TTIT
12th April 2010, 10:01 AM
I've got the un-badged version of the Sorby - they are all made in China and I think I got mine from McJings. The quality isn't great but it's passable. Certainly not a heavy-duty centre but good for most work - just so handy with the range of tips provided. The tips are held in place by a magnet which makes adding your own tips easy - I made a loaded centre (http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Loaded) for mine and I often turn up wooden 'one-of' specials to suit.
That Multi-Star looks like a better made unit - let us know if you get one - would like to know more about it. :2tsup:

Big Shed
12th April 2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for that, looks interesting.

I did look at the McJing site and couldn't find a live centre set, turns out I only looked in Engineering, not in wood turning.

Have sent off an enquiry on the Multistar set, price without VAT is about 58 pounds but shudder to think what the delivery will be.

rsser
12th April 2010, 11:28 AM
Fred, you're welcome to drop in if in the area and take a look at mine.

GJ and Skew also went down this track. IIRC one set went back for replacement.

The bearing unit is a heavy 3 bearing job and runs nicely.

One insert has a removable point for drilling through.

Big Shed
12th April 2010, 12:12 PM

Thanks Ern, will do.

When even the supplier says that the Sorby is a better unit than the Nova, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Sawdust Maker
12th April 2010, 12:27 PM
I would imagine that the Vermec set is well made
I've got their heavy duty live centre and am very happy with the way it is made

rsser
12th April 2010, 12:40 PM
Fred, no indeed it doesn't.

I see that Vermec have a special on the VM inertia sander at $62. Pretty good value.

I used an early one - and speaking of QC had to send it back several times as the pad shaft wouldn't be retained in the handle. The vac attachment sucked up a bit of dust and is a useful addition but by no means a solution.

Grumpy John
12th April 2010, 02:32 PM

Yep, I sent mine back due to poor quality. The replacement unit was marginally better but puts an end to any more Teknatool/Nova purchases for me. At the time I bought the Nova kit I was unaware of the Vermec or Sorby system, prolly would have gone for the Vermec if I had been aware of it.

rsser
12th April 2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, well like GJ I'm unhappy with Nova quality and am unlikely to buy again.

That said, the LCS offers more options than the Vermec so you need to figure out what it is you want.

I've not checked out the Sorby or others.

artme
12th April 2010, 07:59 PM
H&F sells a set for metal turning. with #2 MT. I don't know how they would suit wood turning.

Big Shed
12th April 2010, 09:34 PM
H&F sells a set for metal turning. with #2 MT. I don't know how they would suit wood turning.

Thanks Arthur, hadn't thought of looking at H&F, don't usually look for tooling there as they are invariably asking about twice the price for the same tooling that's sold on Ebay.

Looks very similar to one or 2 sets sold on Ebay for less than $100.

In the meantime I have had a response from a UK supplier of the Multistar and they ony want 15 pounds to send it out to Oz, so may even give that a go.

GoGuppy
12th April 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Fred

I have not used these but have a look, they seem to have a wide range and you can pick and choose, as well as buy various sets:
Axminster Live Tailstock Centres (http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Axminster-Live-Tailstock-Centres-208170.htm)

I have bought other gear from Axminster and found them very helpful.
Cheers

Big Shed
12th April 2010, 11:05 PM
There seem to be more Live Centre sets on the market than I first thought, couple of interesting ones there, thanks very much.:2tsup:

NCPaladin
13th April 2010, 04:49 AM
So far I have had no problems with my Nova Live Center.
The threaded insert is my favorite. Turn what ever size you need.
1<SUP>st</SUP> pic. What you need. A 5/16 t-nut, a 5/16 bolt, your wood.
2<SUP>nd</SUP> pic. Blank rough cut and bored. Head of the nut ground off to about the diameter the the T-nut shaft. Leave just enough that the bolt won’t go through.
3<SUP>rd</SUP> pic. Hammer into the blank. You will need a piece of pipe or something else to go around the bolt in order to not booger it up driving the T-nut in.
4<SUP>th</SUP> pic. Mount to the lathe and turn to your desired shape.
5<SUP>th</SUP> pic. Some of the centers I have made. The ones with the rubber balls are great for the necks of bud vases, ect.

You can also make a friction chuck with a t-nut to fit in your scroll chuck. If you need a friction chuck to finish turning the base, just use the same ones and screw them into the headstock chuck. Cover with foam or leather if necessary to protect the wood.
Mike

Big Shed
24th April 2010, 12:47 PM
Just as a follow up, I finally bought a live centre set yesterday. Was all set to order the MultiStar set from the UK but had held off because of all the flight, and therefore airmail, disruptions due to the volcanic ash cloud.

Decide to pop in to The Woodsmith in Croydon yesterday and they had 2 of the Sorby sets in stock. Was quite impressed with the quality and range of inserts, and the price was a pleasant surprise as well. So I bought a set.

Will do a review on it once I get acquainted with it.